Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatever Happened To The Real Amiga Community.  (Read 14699 times)

Description:

Offline Plaz

Re: Whatever Happened To The Real Amiga Community.
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
It's certainly understandable that someone who went away in 1995 and came back today would find today's amiga boards more of an odd alien ancestor of their old friend.

The Amiga gang is unique in the computer world. We have been perpetually caught between the business states of "dead retro" and "startup business" for about 17 years. For the community that's stayed aboard the for whole weird wandering ride, it's created a bit of a fractured schizophrenic atmosphere.

Amiga never totally died, so can't have a "revival" like other platforms. Neither has it fully "survived" as a viable business, so continuously leaves hopefully customers wanting. It is a unique techie soap opera that presents a different version of interest and entertainment for everyone that chooses to participate.

Sad... yes we tend to be a bit sad about Amiga's fate thus far. Retards... match any experience and IQ here against any of your buddies. I'm placing my bet on the Amigans, twitchy bunch that they are. Destroying from within... not at all. We are just constantly debating how best to reanimate frankenstein, or what parts we should harvest and paste on another living host. That clears that up I hope. ;)

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
Quote from: whabang;599024
I think there is similar conflicts and splits in other retro-communities. Just log on to a car forum and ask for advice on how to renovate an old car and you'll see. :D

Oh, yes. I'm doing that too and the threads that get going on those boards/subjects can make flames on Amiga sites look tame.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:41 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;599067
It seems like Amiga.org has become the joke forum of the Amiga community. I guess it could be worse.

Not the joke, but maybe the "old folks home".

"Hey! You kids get your dang OS off my lawn!" :lol:

Though I'd like to, I also find fewer converstations to participate in these days. Seems it's all been said before... many times. Why repeat? I keep hanging around though hoping for better days. If I had more free time/money I'd contribute more to projects , but that's just not possible for now.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;599085
Take Quick Videos for example, for the first time in forever we finally have a new video editing program for Amiga systems with a nice, easy to use GUI, and yet the thread gets a single reply and is never seen again.

I'm sure many looked and lurked, but fewer these days want to participate in yet another thread that potentially turns into a "this camp bashing that camp" event as so many do. Remember the small rucus of the AROS getting movable screens?

BTW, you'll find Quick Videoa under the AROS section...
http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55693

Plaz