Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatever Happened To The Real Amiga Community.  (Read 14655 times)

Description:

Offline Tension

Re: Whatever Happened To The Real Amiga Community.
« Reply #239 from previous page: December 21, 2010, 02:33:12 AM »
Quote from: Franko;598993
Whatever Happened To The Real Amiga Community?

It's what we call a 'shake and bake colony'.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2010, 04:04:48 AM »
Quote from: Franko;599941
Apologies cecillia, I thought it was one of the grumpy brigade having another go at me... sorry... :)
no problem. posting can't let you see or hear the person, so I make allowances for that. my post on 207 (I think that's where it is) says it best at this point.

Quote from: motrucker;599970
At the risk of repeating myself, Everyone here needs to join NORML! or go to California and get your much needed 'script... or fly to Amsterdam... whichever....
This should give you the proper perspective on the "live vs dead" issue, and just keep doing what you've been doing.

looking at posts after this I realize you are referring to drugs. this will do me no good as I have never taken drugs nor do I have any interest in it.
I like my brain working at 100% efficiency.

I also think drugs should be legal because it would cost society less to make drugs a personal issue or a medical issue (for those with problems) than create a black market which just encourages criminals to make a profit
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Franko;600086
the only thing I use a Mac for is to access the net and to be honest in 25 years of using the Amiga on a daily basis the ability to access the net with it is something I haven't missed or am really interested in it being able to do so... :)

This places you solidly on the fringe, together with most of the rest of us here for various reasons. Most of us are the totally wrong people to really say anything about what others want or would find useful. That's one of the reasons I don't get why people here get so worked up over what other people use or want to use etc. - seen from mainstream users point of view, we're all a bunch of lunatics anyway.

Use the Amiga for what it is and always will be, something a wee bit different from all the mundane world of modern PCs and gimmicks. It's a machine that is a joy to use and learn about, if you want tablets and all that malarky go out and buy one they are avalble if thats your thing... :)

I don't think any shade of Amiga has any hope of regaining a mainstream position, but I still want to be able to use an Amiga-like OS (AROS would suit me just fine - I'm not a purist) on my laptop, on a tablet, as my main desktop machine. I don't think that's an unreasonable wish. That said, it'll take a huge amount of effort before it could mostly replace Linux for most of my needs.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;599603
I know you're a big Apple fan.  I can see why a lot of people would choose to be Apple fans these days, but if you want my opinion... the Amiga was better than the Apple Mac.  It should have been our platform competing with and beating Microsoft.  But yours had good leadership, investment in development and excellent marketing.  Ours had poor leadership, minimal investment and crap marketing.

Neverthless, Apple never managed to 'beat' Microsoft in the computer market. Apple did its best in the media one, and created a proprietary - and for this reason not destined to outperform others' revenues - platform for mobile phones, looking forward to the tablet market they actually created (and others will just follow, at least for now).

Once said so, I'd also stop blaming Commodore only for the Amiga long-term flop. Commodore made a lot of mistakes, but at those times WE (the Amiga users community) didn't see at them like 'mistakes', but as strong points for our platform. We liked the ways our computers were complete systems without spending money for costy expansion boards (we had stereo audio, integrated hi.res graphics...), but we discovered too late that our custom chips were enough good for 2D games, while PC users just needed to buy a 3D card to play better looking games and access functions our ECS and AGAs just couldn't even dream about.

We liked the long life of our systems, which just didn't get obsolete so fast. We discovered afterwards that keeping the platform uncahnged for years just made Commodore revenues not enough to sustain the platform. And don't try to fool ourserlves: we were all happy our A500 and A1200 with few expansions were enough for everything.

We started to suspect something a little late, when we asked Commodore for a CD-ROM to add to our A1200s, and they answered with the CD32. Everything that Commodore did after the year 1990 was always late, but we continued to happily sing that "Only Amiga makes it possible" like the orchestra still kept playing while the Titanic was sinking. And that's something we should all be aware of, and don't forget.

Unluckily, there are people that never learn from their mistakes.
p.bes