Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA site updated  (Read 14837 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: CommodoreUSA site updated
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;598649
There's no asterisk on the keyboard!

/* who needs it? */
int p; // A

Offline jorkanyTopic starter

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;598649
There's no asterisk on the keyboard!

This is the 21st century, and so multiplication is no longer needed.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 06:26:33 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;598651
/* who needs it? */

Quote from: jorkany;598652
This is the 21st century, and so multiplication is no longer needed.

:lol:

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
I am confused...

I am all for people trying to do something for the Amiga community BUT I don't get the C64 revival...

Anyone can do what they are doing, and indeed it's been done a few times already, by taking an original C64 shell and putting all those bits in. A mini-itx board, slim DVD drive and off you go, you might even make a more powerful one.

Also I don't understand the OS part...it's pretty clear it's something (an emulator) running on top of Windows or Linux, again, anyone can do that.

I am lost :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
"Once he starts shipping product (which I'm sure he will), he'll finally silence a large portion of the naysayers."

Hey iggy, did you forget about the 2 or 3 other keyboard all in one computers which he was hyping for months and then never shipped?

What have they shipped so far? Some zpc's with commodore stickers slapped on them?

And what about the other few all in one keyboard comuters they used to have on their site? (All of them were existing products they planned to just put a commodore sticker on)

Any mention of those mysteriously dissapeared now. Use the wayback machine to see the old website, they have hyped many products so far that just dissapeared and never shipped.

With that kind of track record already, I doubt any of this new stuff they are trying to hype will ever arrive.

Steven

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;598655
"Once he starts shipping product (which I'm sure he will), he'll finally silence a large portion of the naysayers."

Hey iggy, did you forget about the 2 or 3 other keyboard all in one computers which he was hyping for months and then never shipped?

What have they shipped so far? Some zpc's with commodore stickers slapped on them?

And what about the other few all in one keyboard comuters they used to have on their site? (All of them were existing products they planned to just put a commodore sticker on)

Any mention of those mysteriously dissapeared now. Use the wayback machine to see the old website, they have hyped many products so far that just dissapeared and never shipped.

With that kind of track record already, I doubt any of this new stuff they are trying to hype will ever arrive.

Steven

Actually, there was only one all-in-one system, a relabeled Cybernet system Altman named Phoenix. It's still listed and while I see no way to order one on the current website, I believe it is available.

As far as the market for the C64, I might buy one. Why? For the retro freak out your friends that used to own an original C64 factor. Plus, if Barry uses the key switches he's mentioned for the last several months in the keyboard it should have nice tactile feedback.

I'm baffled at all the negativity. How many of you have suggested a move to X86 architecture? Now AROS users have an opportunity to run their OS on PCs with legally licensed Amiga branding.

Considering past history, I can understand being cautious, but don't you guys think you ought to give Altman a chance before you shoot him down?

The website looks much improved. The model lineup is now fleshed out. C64s should ship in the first quarter of 2011 and the rest of the line is not as challenging. Why not wait and see how things go? Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:58:26 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
If you don't know what your talking about, don't post. When he first launched the website, he had two other all in one pc's one listed. One was "The amigo" one called "The phoenix" and another I don't recall.
"The amigo"  was a websurf all in one pc,  but hey for the extra 40-50% markup, they slap a commodore sticker on it for you...

and the other one, whose RENAME name I don't recall was this computer :
http://gizmodo.com/5163636/asus-eee-keyboard-pc-should-arrive-in-may-or-june-for-400+600

He had a fancy name for it, but yes, they were hyping this as a "Soon to be release NEW computer from commodore." So ask yourself again,why people are negative about them.

I suspect that as soon as people starting calling them out on their bullshit, they started backpedaling. This new website is just another attempt to hide their past lies.

Oh yeah, Why all the negativity? Here 's one reason :

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/commodore_usa_sell_amiga_all--one_pcs_hyperion_thinks_not

Want another reason? How about another forum member catching them red handed as having stolen most of their website word for word from apple.com (That shit was funny)

In the future, know who you are defending before you defend them.
Of course, the last forum troll who defended them so much got a job as their "Chief technical officer"

Iggy,What are you looking for a new job with a fancy title that pays nothing? This guy running this "company" and anyone who supports them should get a goddam life. Its a joke, its a goddam hoax. Anyone can slap a sticker on an existing product, copy apple's website word for word,or respin ubuntu, call it workbench and include an amiga emulator.

Take your head out of your ass. That is all.

Steven

Offline jorkanyTopic starter

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;598671
If you don't know what your talking about, don't post. When he first launched the website, he had two other all in one pc's one listed. One was "The amigo" one called "The phoenix" and another I don't recall.

Examples:
Amigo: http://www.pcanswer.com/2010/05/31/commodore-64-makes-a-comeback/
Phoenix: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Phoenix.aspx
Fantasy: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_FutureModels.aspx
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:14:16 PM by jorkany »

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
Here is the cahed page from "The amigo" another NEW all in one keyboard pc... Only from commodore USA!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&q=cache:8ol7Sv80CTIJ:http://www.commodoreusa.net/amigo.html+commodore+usa+amigo&ct=clnk

Can you say "oh shit someone found out we're just slapping stickers on these things and they don't like it... Better forget that, quick change the website!

Does anyone remember the other NEW all in one keyboard pc's name? I'm sure its out there on the net still, even though they'd rather not let anyone see them...

Like I said iggy, if you don't know the history of the lies coming out of this place, then maybe you should not wonder why people are negative.

Hahaha jorkany, you found more I forgot about. The EEE all in one keyboard pc they called something else was on their website also... Wow nice case pictures of your new pc soon to be released... They dropped that kewl blue one from the new website too.

So whats the count? How many products have they promised or announced? Now how many have they delivered?

Steven
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:21:36 PM by haywirepc »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;598671
"The amigo"  was a websurf all in one pc,  but hey for the extra 40-50% markup, they slap a commodore sticker on it for you...

and the other one, whose RENAME name I don't recall was this computer :
http://gizmodo.com/5163636/asus-eee-keyboard-pc-should-arrive-in-may-or-june-for-400+600

He had a fancy name for it, but yes, they were hyping this as a "Soon to be release NEW computer from commodore." So ask yourself again,why people are negative about them.

I suspect that as soon as people starting calling them out on their bullshit, they started backpedaling. This new website is just another attempt to hide their past lies.

Oh yeah, Why all the negativity? Here 's one reason :

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/commodore_usa_sell_amiga_all--one_pcs_hyperion_thinks_not

Want another reason? How about another forum member catching them red handed as having stolen most of their website word for word from apple.com (That shit was funny)

In the future, know who you are defending before you defend them.
Of course, the last forum troll who defended them so much got a job as their "Chief technical officer"

Iggy,What are you looking for a new job with a fancy title that pays nothing? This guy running this "company" and anyone who supports them should get a goddam life. Its a joke, its a goddam hoax. Anyone can slap a sticker on an existing product, copy apple's website word for word,or respin ubuntu, call it workbench and include an amiga emulator.

Take your head out of your ass. That is all.

Steven

Sorry Steven, but the article you reference is about three months old. Hyperion has no claim to the Amiga name, only AmigaOS and AmigaOne.

There is NO current legal dispute between Hyperion and Amiga Inc. or Commodore USA.

As for "calling them out". You guys are too CS to do this for real. The guy has offered to answer phone inquiries for months now and all you nimrods can do is post your speculations and opinions.

One thing I am certain about is that I have more experience in business than most of the posters here (and in the past ran a company selling custom 68K based systems).

One thing you plainly ignore is that fact that Altman has secured valid licensing for the names he's using. Further, he has invested his own funds into this venture and hasn't taken anyone else's money (for advance orders or any other fraudulent purposes). I personally am convinced that he's serious. Personally, I question marketing this stuff to jack holes like you because you're all a bunch of pretentious geeks that present too small a market to be concerned with.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
People can pick apart CUSA all they want, but what they are stating as their plan is both attractive, and actually feasible.  The prototype photos of the C64 case shows that they are serious about actually rebuilding the brand.

No, it isn't going to compete against Mac or the PC.  That ship has sailed.  I know that if the PC64 makes it to market at an only slightly unreasonable price, I will buy one.  It is certainly more practical than my MiniMig, and it doesn't fall prey to the MiniMigs fatal flaw of not having a reasonable case.  Looking at the prototype cases for the PC64, I have to say, it looks really nice.  I'm not sure about the F-Keys being replaced by media keys, but if they are not already remappable, that should just be a software issue.

I am honestly surprised that they haven't already just said screw it, and decided to forget the whole thing.  I am glade they didn't.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »
Have I seen about 7 or 8 different models (or prospective models) from CUSA so far?  This hyper-hype-preannouncement-scatter-wow is just too much.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
@haywirepc,

Chill out man! There's no need to get so worked up.

@Iggy,

A better business decision would have been to just keep a lid on it until they had an actual product to sell. all this months of speculation and iffy product announcements has made everyone really sceptical about they're ability to put out anything.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
Cool! :)

If the new Commodore 64 really materializes I might consider one (if the price is right). Also depends a bit on what's in the SW package, and how they package it.

The Amiga 1000 with Workbench 5 could also become something of my interest. I really like the looks of the case (I recall someone posting on moobunny the manufacturer and model name, but can't recall. Looks very sweet though). But again it depends on what's in the SW package, and how it's put together. I'd really like the option of running it as a HTPC out of the box for instance. And it would be cool if Workbench 5 would bring some kind of Amiga feeling to it all!

Going to keep my eyes on this development! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 14, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
You people forget one thing:

True Amigans are not the target market here, they are targeting ex-long-gone users and new ones who have never heard of Commodore or Amiga. It's like when Apple decided to leave the PPC and the purists got enraged. And what did Apple do? Apple stuck two fingers up in the air and carried on.

CUSA want to make money by using the name they claim they own (licensed), end of story.

To many it sounds like a not very honourable, devious scam, to others it sounds like any other business.