Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ben Hermans still staunchly against x86  (Read 21503 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: Ben Hermans still staunchly against x86
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
Quote from: runequester;586459
So far, Acube has developed the hardware

I thought that Sam was an off the shelf board for the embedded sector that just happened to be available? Or am I thinking of something else here?

From the interviews with the guy in charge of Hyperion, it seems that the X1000 is very much a vanity project, that he is hoping to break even on.

Yeah pretty much.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;586462
That would be Trevor Dickinson, one of the A-eon partners, not Hyperion.

Well, their(Hyperion, Hermans) stand against x86 is well known for years. I guess admitting defeat may be too much for some egos. Maybe ARM, but that is still a distant future (possibility?) for high-performance desktops.

ah, I got the people confused.Thank you for the correction

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;586465
I thought that Sam was an off the shelf board for the embedded sector that just happened to be available? Or am I thinking of something else here?

yeah, I didn't mean to imply they had developed it specifically FOR amiga OS. It just happened to work out well for everybody.

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
So far, Acube has developed the hardware and they've just supplied the OS, so no loss there. OS development is not an easy job, but it doesn't require a factory anywhere.

From the interviews with the guy in charge of Hyperion, it seems that the X1000 is very much a vanity project, that he is hoping to break even on.

Why would someone running a business just hope to break even on a new project ?
With a profit they could go for a new Amiga using x86 and new hardware like USB 3.0, SATA600 and HDMI 1.4 and whatever you can think of.
If you have OS4 going x86, then your done.
But the main problem I think is licenses, patents and all other things.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;586472
Why would someone running a business just hope to break even on a new project ?
With a profit they could go for a new Amiga using x86 and new hardware like USB 3.0, SATA600 and HDMI 1.4 and whatever you can think of.
If you have OS4 going x86, then your done.
But the main problem I think is licenses, patents and all other things.

Now, as someone kindly corrected, I was referring to Trevor Dickinson, who seems from interviews to mostly just want this computer to exist. He seems to have other business ventures of some sort to make some income so this is just a vanity project for him.

People can do whatever they want with their money. Even if the X1000 turns out to tank, it'll still be more than "amiga.inc" has produced in what ? 5 years ?

As far as x86, again.. meh. The only audience that exists for this are us here. What would a port of OS4 do that AROS does not ?

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
So far, Acube has developed the hardware and they've just supplied the OS, so no loss there. OS development is not an easy job, but it doesn't require a factory anywhere.

I can understand the vanity aspect.  I stuck with a V6 in my Fiero for years squeezing the most power out of it despite readily available and cheap V8 swaps.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;586474
I can understand the vanity aspect.  I stuck with a V6 in my Fiero for years squeezing the most power out of it despite readily available and cheap V8 swaps.

Any of the folks here with Blizzard PPC cards in their amiga's should understand that part :)

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;586464
I have a lot more respect for that point of view.

If you are really passionate about it and not just trying to monopolize the market into a corner, that's great.

I just wish Aros had the apparent control of the Amiga market that Hyperion seems to have.  That project fits my views of the future much better.

AROS has not been marketed outside this community and only zealots fail to accept it.
AROS has already surpassed the other OS's in the 3D API dept...  It could be a great platform for PC gaming without the need to pay MS any money for things such as online play...however the big publishers are falling for things like not having to host their own multi-player servers and (LIVE) messaging services.

Gaming may be where/how AROS pulls ahead of OS4 and MOS and is finally accepted by a wider audience.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
Trouble is AROS is FREE and OS4 for x86 would cost money. How many units would Hyperion need to ship @ 75 bucks per licence to cover the development costs of going from PPC to x86 native code?

I think that's where the sums fall down, AROS is a labour of love not a business and that is probably why it has survived and got so far to date.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:42 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;586484
Trouble is AROS is FREE and OS4 for x86 would cost money. How many units would Hyperion need to ship @ 75 bucks per licence to cover the development costs of going from PPC to x86 native code?

I think that's where the sums fall down, AROS is a labour of love not a business and that is probably why it has survived and got so far to date.

"no schedule and rocking" I believe is how the kids are saying it today

Offline the_leander

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »
Quote from: runequester;586473

People can do whatever they want with their money. Even if the X1000 turns out to tank, it'll still be more than "amiga.inc" has produced in what ? 5 years ?

This presumes that the X1000 ever makes it to market as anything other than a devs plaything - something I'm not entirely sure of. As far as Amiga.Inc goes... Tbh they were tied up in court by Hyperion for quite a few of those years, so to make the comparison is a little unfair.  imho the only reason Hyperion won what they did was simply that they had more cash, not because of holding the high ground.

Quote from: runequester;586473

As far as x86, again.. meh. The only audience that exists for this are us here. What would a port of OS4 do that AROS does not ?

Consider the press that the Commodore USA announcement generated. Hell it managed to get more press coverage than the Amiga has seen since 3.9 was released. AROS might be technically competent, MorphOS is certainly more mature.

But OS4 has a name that is recognisable to people other than those within the community.
Blessed Be,

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »
I think the publicity of Commodore USA was more down to the word Amiga than OS4. And the utter BS from MR BS Altman over making new Amiga PCs ;)

Offline the_leander

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;586495
I think the publicity of Commodore USA was more down to the word Amiga than OS4

"Amiga OS4"

Amiga is a brand has some recognition still. Neither MorphOS or AROS can claim that.
Blessed Be,

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;586495
I think the publicity of Commodore USA was more down to the word Amiga than OS4. And the utter BS from MR BS Altman over making new Amiga PCs ;)

Well, hyperion and a-eon both announced very similar things... a new Amiga. the difference being is that C=USA has some marketing guys working for them and intends to make money and operate as a solvent entity, while Hyperion and a-eon seem to be running this more like a hobby project. All very IMHO.

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »
The day they go x86 i'll probably run OS4. I don't get why people wants to buy overpriced "dongles" to run it.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 23, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
Quote from: fryguy;586527
The day they go x86 i'll probably run OS4. I don't get why people wants to buy overpriced "dongles" to run it.

Have you tried AROS ?