Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will there every be another computer like the amiga?  (Read 14739 times)

Description:

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Re: Will there every be another computer like the amiga?
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;548091
Not my point at all, just pointing out that some older applications look at a new CPU, and freak out or don't run at all.

With the possible exception of programs hard coded to a given CPU at a given speed that would "freak out" if they found anything else (which would also often break with faster variants of the same chip btw), most programs worked within the APIs supported by the OS. As such, so long as the APIs and such are still present, a program itself generally won't give a damn. See Bloodlines visicalc example for more.

maybe I was a little harsh with that last post, but If I use my friends iMac G5, I can run an OS 8 app in classic without having to about it freaking out or crashing,

You are aware that classic app support is supplied via emulation similar to that which you seem to be complaining about on x86, right?

you are right in saying the x86 CPU is a very good and successful architecture, I just don't and won't use it because I hate using monopoly HW that is so low quality compared with my PPC machines.

That of course is your choice and right. The rest of the world simply wants to get the job done.

And as I said, in terms of architecture and OS, MorphOS and the PPC macs and Pegs are the closest relatives to the Amiga.

Err, no, they're really not. The Peg, A1 and all post nubus PowerMacs are essentially PCs with a customised northbridge and different cpu running the show. Architecturally they are PCs. They have little or nothing in common with the OCS/ECS/AGA architectures.

Of course there will be innovations that fit their bill, but if PPC ever dies, it will mean the end of the Amiga's life in terms of HW.

Actually it could be argued legitimately that PPC was the cause of the death of Amiga hardware.

And as long as the X1000 is a good HW piece, I will buy it, run OS4 and MOS if it gets ported, as well as linux with Mac-On-Linux if I can

Good luck with that.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;548189
That's great, really. Thing is, most people don't do that.

With things like youtube and similar becoming ever more popular, having the grunt to encode video is a lot more common. Now that Youtube amongst others are offering high def video, the need is greater still.

Sure, they don't need that maybe 90% of the time, but when they do, they want it done in a reasonable time frame. With the introduction of high def, the G5 and especially the G4 based macs are really starting to show their shortcomings.
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;548348
No, you're wrong, all post-nubus ppc macs are not like Pcs at all. A PC has SSE software, but a g4 has an actual altivec FPU,

Since the advent of the Pentium, all X86 have had extra instructions similar to altivec SEE, MMX 3DNow. This isn't software, its actual hardware.

A PC runs little endian, PPC runs big-endian AND little endian. A mac has OF, Pcs have BIOS.

Wake up. I specifically stated that beyond the CPU, the arch was the same.

It is, both have a cpu hooked up to a northbridge which in turn hooks up the memory, AGP/PCIE and southbridge. The southbridge handles USB PCI and more recently PCIE. What the rom has on it is irrelevant to the point about architecture.

The differences go on.

Only for those who have no clue about how their computer works.

And to date, the most populous Big-Endian archittecture is PPC

Actually PPC is bi-endian. And even if we were strictly talking Big-Endian ARM still has it beat hands down in shear volume (then again, by numbers sold, ARM beats everything).

the 68k is VERY similar to a PPC.

I'll leave it up to the hardware folks to explain to explain why this isn't the case.

And as far as OCS/ECS/AGA goes, their relatives are the GPU, SPU and North/South Bridge chips in Macs and PCs, i wasn't focusibng on them.

They have nothing to do with each other. The Amiga and its arch was a closed source effort. It was designed originally to be a games console and it shows. It has more in common with a modern games console then it does a PC.

I have to say that PPC macs have more lifetime than any PC to a consumer.

Which is why they're currently being dumped wholesale on ebay at the moment.

My iBook g4 runs circles around my brother's Phenom 3Gb laptop, at 768mb and 1.33 Ghz at that, because it runs Micro$haft 7.

Right up until you need to do something that needs some seriously heavy grunt. Also, knock it off with the "windoze" "Micro$haft" nonsense, what are you, 12?

My point is, I don't mind waiting two hours for 720p dvd5 video to be encoded,

I do. Fortunately I don't need to wait.

because I can browse, play Ut2004 and do whatever while I wait, if I encoded on my HT, it locked up the RAM so much i couldn't play even Half Life.

So can I. And my machine still has a warranty.
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;548605
PPC vs X86 has been basically outlined here, I think I will stick w/ PPC thank you very much, no more talk of that.

I genuinely don't care. For me, a computer is a tool only. If a given computer cannot do what I demand of it, I find something that can (be it a software or hardware solution). That is all. Advocacy based on processor lineages to me is somewhat pointless since my particular OS of choice runs on just about all of them.

As for calling me 12 years old with the Microshaft name calling,

I asked if you were 12 because that sort of petty name calling is what I would expect from a 12 year old.

Act your age, not your shoe size.

my Chief IT Officer uncle of CAT4 uses it and he shares my feelings with windows and he uses those terms all the time.

See above.

Don't try to speak english if you know you can't comprehend a native speaker's terms,

I fully understand the terms, what with being a native speaker myself.

PROTIP: If you're going to make a pedantic argument, do so only after checking your own grammar - English is a name and as such always starts with a capital letter.

And don't tell me I could've used windows better or managed it better

I never brought this up, but now that you mention it yes, I will. For starters you could have not been a pirate. Frankly that you chose that route I hold absolutely no sympathy for you at all.

its an inferior design stolen from IBM OS/2 and implemented just as poorly

And that legitimises your incompetence and theft how?

If MS actually cared about its customers, they'd release XP for free and prior 9x releases instead of forcing you to upgrade.

What, you mean like older versions of OSX are free?

The Powermac G3, for example was made in 1999 and was supported until 2007 Leopard, the average 2005 PC can't run 7 without extensive stripping down of it (MS unsupported)

Of course what you neglect to mention is that same G3 system would have to have maxxed out its ram and likely have required an upgrade or two in the mean time of its graphics card in order to get anything approaching usable. Works both ways old bean.
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
Quote from: Fanscale;548642

Also, I would have a software solution first, let people try out your new Amiga system before they invest in hardware.

Theres an app for that. :lol:
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;548654
Some of those terms were directed at someone else

It's generally considered good etiquette to quote who you are responding to, or failing that @.

the leander so please don't take much of those personally at you.

I didn't, I thought I'd made it clear too in the last post... Never mind.

I don't care for x86 based on lineage, but the fact that many of the CPUs and mobos for it are garbage and to get anything lasting you need to fork over a price like Apples premiums and that won't last 10 years, plus a PPC mac is dirt cheap and fast and cleanly designed.

At the time, those PPC Macs came at a truly staggering premium. If you pay that sort of cash out I'd expect them to last a good long while. With the exception of Celeron/Duron based systems the CPUs on the PC side were fairly decent. Mobos... Well you get what you pay for. But the main killer for cheap PCs were low amounts of ram and cheap and nasty PSU's (E-machines and Compaq I'm looking at you).

As with anything, you get what you pay for.

We can all conclude that nothing will be quite like the Amiga

I agree here - the market back then was more or less virgin, now it is saturated and mature.

but the x1000 is an expensive and risky venture for A-EON and Hyperion.

I would go so far to say doomed. Even ignoring the whole PPC/X86 price performance issues, lack of software etc. We're in the middle of the largest recession since the Great Depression. Bringing out a premium and highly niche product like the X1000 seems to me to be the height of folly.
Blessed Be,

Offline the_leander

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;548976

Love your Mac or Wintel as much as you want but neither Apple or MS have done crap all worth mentioning in the last two decades compared to what Commodore did in the 3 years from C64 to Amiga 1000 launches.

I would definately concede the point about MS, tbh I doubt they would have even bothered updating XP were it not for Apple starting to bite (fnarr) into their marketshare and the advances of Linux. I would however draw the line at saying Apple hasn't innovated.

From a hardware perspective, sure, you're right. But as an end to end experience, no one, not even from the past can touch them. You plug in, turn on and *blam* it works. Apples single biggest selling point isn't innovative hardware, or even smexy case/formfactor designs. Its the fact that it offers a reliable, easy to use system out of the box.

That to me is an innovation worth mentioning.

Sorry those ARE the facts, if you don't like them then take your bias to MS/Apple dedicated forums.

Sorry, but you don't get to dictate who goes where on the basis that they may hold differing viewpoints.

Show me a tight responsive OS today that doesn't require more processing power than necessary just to move a pointer on the screen and launch some programs

OK.

...and I will show you OS4 :) Multi-tasking GUI based multimedia rich OS running on amazingly future proofed hardware that lasted over half a decade safely is a testament to the A1000 and just how advance and revolutionary a product it was.

If by future-proofed (I take it to mean the AmigaOne series), you mean obsolete, not fit for purpose, poorly designed, badly put together. Then yes, right with you. To compare that to what was then a truly revolutionary design in the form of the A1000 however is to do the latter a great disservice.

(and yes I know the Amiga's greatest advantage was ultimately its downfall, the fact it was a closed specification platform with only one manufacturer....it gave all the advantages of a console for programming but was in a revolutionary computer with an elegant and efficient OS...but Commodore left it too late with AGA and it was too little with the same 8bit sound in 1993!!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realises this.

Regardless of all else though, use what you use, enjoy it. Have fun :)
Blessed Be,