Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5  (Read 25896 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 02, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »
Hmm. It really would be sweet to be able to put that Lombard to use...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713677
Hmm. It really would be sweet to be able to put that Lombard to use...

400MHz G3 is probably not lightspeedy, but quite okay for many things (beside my two G4s I also own a Peg1 G3/600 and Efika, hence I can estimate the probable speed), a nice thing to play with _if_ it will be supported eventually. I read the Lombard is said to handle up to 512MB RAM, that's sufficient for quite some stuff.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
Exactly. As I said, even the 400/500MHz Pismo G3 is only just sufficient to run OSX 10.4 and barely handles TenFourFox, but by Amiga standards that's downright luxurious. Add in the fact that these go for a good deal cheaper than the G4s, and I think they'd be perfectly decent MorphOS machines...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713682
Exactly. As I said, even the 400/500MHz Pismo G3 is only just sufficient to run OSX 10.4 and barely handles TenFourFox, but by Amiga standards that's downright luxurious. Add in the fact that these go for a good deal cheaper than the G4s, and I think they'd be perfectly decent MorphOS machines...

it's somewhere on their website, but basically, it'd make bad impressions of the OS, if people ran it on less than a G4.

Offline Justone

• Show only replies by Justone
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713682

OWB on Pegasos 2 g3@600 is even worse and forget about youtube it's like watching a slide show.
A4000 E/BOX 4000 PCI Tower, CyberStorm-PPC 060/50 PPC/180, USB, Voodoo 5500, 10/100 Network, Terratec 512i, eFlash 4000, CV64 scandoubler. (sold)
Pegasos II G3/600Mhz, Sounblaster Live, Radeon 9000 pro 128 Mb. Happy MOS 1.4.5 user. I hate M$ tactics, so no MO$ 2.x for me.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »
The 3000 euros bounty may take awhile to collect, but AmigaDave has just informed me that he has purchased a G5 Power mac for Mark and that it is on its way to Davids home in California.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
Quote from: Justone;713686
OWB on Pegasos 2 g3@600 is even worse and forget about youtube it's like watching a slide show.

Not if you're using a non embedded video replay mode (i.e. overlay full screen playback) - then youtube is fine even on the Peg1 and nearly fine on Efika (the low Ram spoils it more severely there).
Anyway, rich web content requires some cpu power of course. And while I know that the lower spec computers can be pretty useful with MorphOS, I prefer my beefier machines by far.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:57 AM »
People get too hung up on YouTube anyway. Obviously you're not going to get Blu-Ray playback on a 333/400MHz processor, but that doesn't make the machine useless. And given that I could go on eBay right now and buy a PowerBook G3 and a MorphOS license for about what some people pay for just the PowerBook G4, I really think it might be to their advantage, at least as a starter-system option.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:53:42 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:29 AM »
Quote from: runequester;713684
it's somewhere on their website, but basically, it'd make bad impressions of the OS, if people ran it on less than a G4.

That it would. Granted, a G3 system running classic apps exclusively would be a wonderful ride with MorphOS, heck many MorphOS native apps would still run well, but once you got into web browsing, higher end games and this and that, it would certainly leave a bad taste in one's mouth, at least in this day and age.

Personally, I think I'd rather go with an Efika with a nice Graphics card with plenty of RAM on it, before I went as low as something like an iMac. My eMac was a nightmare within itself!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 05:47:55 AM »
I would never support any sort of bounty for closed source commercial software.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;713717
I would never support any sort of bounty for closed source commercial software.
Then you are True Faithful, and the spirit of Richard Stallman shall guide your soul in the afterlife.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2012, 06:41:49 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;713712
That it would. Granted, a G3 system running classic apps exclusively would be a wonderful ride with MorphOS, heck many MorphOS native apps would still run well, but once you got into web browsing, higher end games and this and that, it would certainly leave a bad taste in one's mouth, at least in this day and age.

Personally, I think I'd rather go with an Efika with a nice Graphics card with plenty of RAM on it, before I went as low as something like an iMac. My eMac was a nightmare within itself!

Wasnt there issues with the built-in monitor for the emac not being that great? And thats before factoring in a 10 year old CRT lifespan..

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;713718
Then you are True Faithful, and the spirit of Richard Stallman shall guide your soul in the afterlife.

Amen comrade!

Im only slightly drunk.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
Quote from: runequester;713719
Wasnt there issues with the built-in monitor for the emac not being that great? And thats before factoring in a 10 year old CRT lifespan..
Good CRTs can last a lot longer than ten years - I have an IBM EGA monitor coming up on thirty that still works like new - but yes, the eMac is notoriously chintzy. Dark screen, video glitches, bad caps, the works.

Offline pampers

• Show only replies by pampers
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »

I have some good news guyz :) I'm copying my post from MorphZone.org:

I have some good news regarding bounty. Thanks to David 'AmigaDave' Morris we will have two models suported. David kindly offered to buy and send PowerMac G5 2.7Ghz - M9749LL/A and he also will spare his own 2.0Ghz model (which was already mentioned in bounty).

As at the first place I was responsible to obtain a G5 for BigFoot my part of 500 euros was paid into the bounty already.

What is more our MorphOS Santa Claus Fraggle said that when bounty reaches 50% he is gonna put in another 50% so we will have bounty completed!

When typing that words we have about 920 euros in bounty already so basically what we need is just 580 euros only! Come one guys, let's make that happen :)

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
Aren't G3s "oldworld" Macs ? Read Macs that don't use OpenFirmware ?

What kind of GFX chips are utilizied in there ? PCI-ATI-Rage or even more obsolete ?

Sounds like a lot of work for me....

On the other hand:
32MB VMEM MacMini (still much better than anything Rage) go for around 100Euro.
400-800MHz PowerMacs can be had for as little as 40Euro (often less), sure they often also feature an ATI-Rage, but atleast it's AGP and can be easily upgraded to something more sensible.
And finally, the iBook-model Geit demoed both on the last 2 Geit@home and in Bad Bramstedt rarely goes over 100Euro these days (and there is a good chance that some even older/cheaper models will also turn out supported).

Or in short:
G3-Mac-support == total waste of time !
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else