Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general  (Read 3517 times)

Description:

Offline koaftder

• Show all replies
    • http://koft.net
Re: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »
I'm going to spring for a wii, but only after the new Metroid Prime comes out. By then the price will be lower and I won't have to battle the heard to get my hands on one.

The wii graphics will be a good step up from the GC graphics for sure. I know that the 360 and ps3 have a lot more power under the hood but I don't care. If i was all about the graphics power and everything else, I wouldn't even consider a console anyway. The gpus in these new consoles were outdated before the developers even got a preview.

Considering Sonys long standing behavior pattern of treating their customers like cattle, I wouldn't touch the ps3 with a ten foot pole.

I won't have to worry about my wii downrezzing my signal to my tv because the tv didnt have some drm key. Early adoptors of hdtv sets are getting screwed by the content providers and player manufacturers with all this drm crap.

Since Nintendo is making new games that everybody is interested in, this means that I'll get yelled at less by my girlfriend when i pick up the controller, cause she will be playing too.

Offline koaftder

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:32:22 PM »

AmigaHeretic wrote:
Just got home with mine here in Oregon.  Camped out 2 nights for it.

It is for sale though ;-)

AmigaHeretic

Good thing you werent camping out with these guys: http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/16/ps3-hopefuls-shot-with-bbs-at-kentucky-best-buy/

I bet the guys who did the drive by were player hating cd32 holdouts.

Offline koaftder

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:22:44 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

MskoDestny wrote:

I wouldn't expect the graphics to get much better. The Gekko gets about 1125 Dhrystone MIPS at 485 MHz. Even if it scaled linearly with clockspeed you'd still end up with only about 2261 MIPS compared with 6400 MIPS for a SINGLE core in the 360 CPU combine that with a GPU that has no support for programmable shaders and you end up with a system that is completely incapable of producing "next-gen" graphics even at 480p. I'm sure there will be some improvement over the current crop of games, but there's no reason to expect any miracles.

Well, I already see lots of bloom lighting and smoother frames on Wii demos.  Whether the lighting was done in hardware or software, I don't care.  Either way, it's something the Gamecube didn't have and now the Wii does.  In the end it's all about the games and actually playing Madden on the Wii looks to be alot more fun than on the 360 or PS3.  Same goes for upcoming games like Battalion Wars which was fun on the GC but looks like a natural fit on the Wii.

If I want hi-def graphics, I have my PC.  I just look for fun games from a console and the ability to not have to be crowed around the TV.  I get this now from my GC on my DLP 50" (via my GBA player on the GC).  I'm just upgrading it to the Wii and the fun will continue.

My desire for hi-def graphics is me just being a graphics-whore.  It is not my "need".  Heck, I currently play Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones (a GBA game) on this same 50" screen and I don't complain about the graphics.  It's about the games.

People are slowly tiring of the same old games.  How many FPS games can a person play before he/she is ready for something else?  Atleast the Wii makes the aiming more involving and natural at the same time.

Changing the way you play does change how you enjoy it.

At least now we can both agree that the Wii is going to be a kick ass gaming platform, and not the future of Amiga OS4.