Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Better PDF viewer for classic amiga's. Possible?  (Read 6281 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Better PDF viewer for classic amiga's. Possible?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 06, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;628960
If there is a demand for it, I will release a new version of EasyGS package with a few new features that have been added in the last year.

I just haven't yet go around to testing it due to work on other projects.

There's demand from me at least :)

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;628906
What's the legal status of PDF viewers and creaters these days?  Once upon a time you couldn't go near a PDF with anything other than official Adobe software for fear of getting your arse whacked, but now there are free PDF writers available for download (I use "PrimoPDF" on my PC)?

PDF is an open standard now.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »
Yup. Here's the specification of ISO32000-1 that anyone can implement: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

If you want to see an example implementation, then you could download PDFClown (Java or .NET) and take a look.

Creating a user interface around it is the tough part.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:57 PM »
Hi All

I know it has been a while (almost a decade!), but if there is still demand for an upgrade to EasyGS, I can take a look at it again.

www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline sean_sk

• Show only replies by sean_sk
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
Yes please. Most PDF viewers I have tried for AOS3 are pretty much out of date and lacking.

Offline pVC

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
Have you tried RNOPDF?
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline sean_sk

• Show only replies by sean_sk
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 09:36:57 PM »
Have you tried RNOPDF?

Yep. But unfortunately it's slow to load documents, even on a vampirized machine, and docs will often load incomplete. I can tolerate the long load times, but it's frustrating when it just completely stalls when trying to go to the next page.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:06:34 PM by sean_sk »

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
My 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast this weekend is all about PDF files on the Amiga, and Amigakits EasyGS is one of the featured products. I would love to see a more powerful front end for opening PDF files on the Amiga.
Take a peek at the video this weekend and then we can all give Amiga Kit awesome ideas for what we want from a PDF viewer.

And now the video is out! Take a look at the cool PDF options!

https://youtu.be/IJXbuUivs08
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:03:20 PM by Dynamic_Computing »

Offline pVC

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »
Have you tried RNOPDF?

Yep. But unfortunately it's slow to load documents, even on a vampirized machine, and docs will often load incomplete. I can tolerate the long load times, but it's frustrating when it just completely stalls when trying to go to the next page.
Oh, never heard that. I assumed it would work pretty well on Vampires. It may stall if you run out of memory, but hmm.. how much RAM and graphics memory do you have on your setup? Does it help if you disable the "Preload next page" option from the Settings menu? Maybe launch the program without loading any document before trying to set that option, and load a PDF file after that?

Offline CMTX

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 02:17:55 AM »
I also use RNOpdf in Vamp, it works fine for me (Is slow on large documents, but i think this is to be expected due to limited cpu power?) except for one detail, when view mode is set to fullscreen and then i zoom into the document, when the document comes back to its normal size the zoomed document still shows (freezed in the last position) in the borders of the screen. I don't know if I explained the issue very well, my english is limited :)

Best regards and thanks for this up to date pdf reader btw

Offline pVC

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
I also use RNOpdf in Vamp, it works fine for me (Is slow on large documents, but i think this is to be expected due to limited cpu power?) except for one detail, when view mode is set to fullscreen and then i zoom into the document, when the document comes back to its normal size the zoomed document still shows (freezed in the last position) in the borders of the screen. I don't know if I explained the issue very well, my english is limited :)
Yeah, this is quite CPU intensive stuff, some PDF files can be slowish even on PPC.

The program still works otherwise but some leftover graphics on borders after zooming? I'll have to test more with slower systems if I can reproduce it... never seen that on my main setup at least.

Offline my_pc_is_amiga

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 01:33:52 AM »
Can the AmiPDF reader from OS4 and I believe there is a newer version on the Enhancer Pack for 4.x be ported to the 3.x Enhancer Pack?