Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Setup real amiga disk using winuae  (Read 5293 times)

Description:

Offline leolePPCTopic starter

• Show only replies by leolePPC
    • http://www.amiga.be
Setup real amiga disk using winuae
« on: April 16, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
Hello to all

I have a 80gb (pc formatted) Harddrive that I want to use on an existing Amiga A1200.

This HDD is connected to my pc on IDE secondary master port .

however: I want be able to do the following -

From WinUAE i want to be able to format that device as though its a native amiga hard drive.

Essentially:

I want to be able to mount this drive in UAE (Windows) for formatting using workbench 3.1 via the emulator .

The idea is to use the emulator to setup the hard-disk environment i.e. install workbench,apz etc and then put in a working amiga.

In the Winuae I can select the drive i added to install the amiga os .

After that i start the workbench 3.1 and try to format this disk but the disk is not see by the workbench .

I tried the hdsetup option or hdtoolbox but no way to have the disk recognized by the workbench .

Do anyone know what to do to let me format this disk and install the workbench using winuae ?

Thank you
leolePPC

Offline Thomas

Re: Setup real amiga disk using winuae
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »
If the HDD contains a PC partition table (MBR) you need to run WinUAE like follows, otherwise it will not accept it:

winuae.exe -disableharddrivesafetycheck

Go to the Quickstart tab and select A1200. Click on Set Configuration if present. Go to Chipset tab and check that A1200 is selected. Go to ROM tab and make sure it says A1200 in the ROM description.

Then go to the Hard Drives tab and click on Add Harddrive. Select your HDD (be sure to select the right HDD !!!!!!) and change controller type from UAE to IDE0.

Now start emulation, insert Install3.1 disk and run HDToolbox. It should recognise the new HDD as empty.

After installation it will allow you to partition 7.8 GB. Be sure to create partitions only inside the first 4GB of the drive, for example make one 500 MB boot partition and two 1.7 GB work partitions. Leave the rest empty, it cannot be accessed anyway, unless you install patches and new drivers.

And don't wonder about negative numbers...

Bye,
Thomas