Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiKit on Amithlon.  (Read 8536 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaIITopic starter

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
AmiKit on Amithlon.
« on: December 28, 2006, 01:04:51 AM »
OK, so I'm goofin' around and attempting to get AmiKit to run on AMIthlon and I'm so, so, close, but... I got these little itsy bitsy problems.

For starts, my startup-sequence complains "LoadMonDrvs: file is not executable." Which is annoying as all hell, 'cause, I know the file is executable. At least, when I boot under another amithlon configuration and execute the exact same file, it runs.

Furthermore, AmiKit boots up into a four color Workbench. When I run screenmode, it appears and I have all my available builtin display functions. They even appear properly when I test them, but, alas, the Workbench remains in four colors when I use or save.

Anyone got any clues here? I needs 'em. I know at least one user here has been able to get AmiKit running on his Amithlon box. Amiga-Fan I think is his "handle."

Help me, Amiga-Fan Kenobi! You're -- or anyone else who has a clue ;-) -- my only hope!

Ed.
Ed.

Re: AmiKit on Amithlon.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »
OK, curiouserer and curiouserer...

Thinking, maybe, I should reinstall the Picasso drivers, I did so, only to have the screen go black on boot up. OK, nearly black, more like the brightness is getting turned down to, maybe, 10% of what it should be.

Going through my startup-sequence and commenting shtuff out until the problem goes away, I find that the culprit is... wait for it! ... LoadMonDrvs! You know, the thing that is "not executable..."

Grrrr... So, my Picasso drivers didn't install correctly? ...I'm still not sure how to fix this, clues still welcome. :-)

Ed.
Ed.

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:42:37 AM »
I am not all that familiar with Picasso 96(P96), as I use Cybergraphx on a real amiga but  would remove ie delete all p96 monitor drivers in devs, and any other files(look in libs, startup-sequence) p96 installs. Sometimes its not enought to just delete the p96 monitor file in devs/monitors. I would then boot into a 4-color ecs workbench screen and reinstall uaeP96

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »
Why not comment out loadmondrvs and add a line in its place to manually load the monitor driver? Like this:

;C:LoadMonDrvs
DEVS:Monitors/Picasso96

I have no idea what the monitor driver name is for P96 under Amithlon so you would have to change the line to the correct name. If you're using 3.9 then you could put "WBRun" before the "DEVS:Monitors....." line to make it act as though you had double-clicked it.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
That was a great clue, Motorollin. Thanks. I can now boot into a full color Workbench. However, I got problems still. Is anyone surprised? :-)

As the desktop boots, I get a series of Recoverable Alerts, all numbered: 0100 000C, the mouse pointer is corrupted and if I click on an icon the desktop freezes.

I can find Guru Meds on-line, but I'm not sure what 0100 000C means. Any clues here?

Thanks,
Ed.
Ed.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
Just a follow up... The problem definately appears to be Picasso related. If I remove the driver, I get a lovely four color workbench and everything seems to be stable. If I boot using the Amithlon supplied PowerFB device... it's a mess. Since this is clearly an Amithlon issue, I've taken it over to the Amithlon groups at Yahoo, but if, once again, anyone else has got ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Ed.
Ed.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:54:11 PM »
In the words of Hiro Nakamura, "I did it!"  :-D

AmiKit is now working on my Amithlon system, and, man, it looks nice!

It appears to be stable, but I'm sure I have a few more surprises waiting for me.

And, just for any who are interested, my final problem was solved by taking my my PowerFB device and setting all the tooltypes, except the boardtype parameter, to match the original UAEGFX device.

Suhweet! :-)

Ed.
Ed.

Offline AmiBiL0

• Show only replies by AmiBiL0
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:10 AM »
That's a good news.
Are you going to post something somewhere? like a guide or a package that we can use?

Let us know how its done

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
good point AmiBiL0!

Ed, I'd be very happy if you write a short guide on how to run AmiKit under Amithlon, many other Amithlon users would benefit. We can put it to Tricks&Tips page. ;-)

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »
Nice one! I bet it's quick?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »
It's definitely "snappy," Moto, which is the main reason why I did it. Under UAE, it's a little slow on my 2 ghz XP box. But running on my 1 ghz Amithlon box, it's very "responsive." :-)

@ AmiKit:

I'll make you a deal, Jan, as payment for my services, including my JBoing demo, how about you, I dunno... give me a copy of AmiKit for free!

Can I negotiate, or can I negotiate? ;-)

@ All

As to compiling a list, I can do that, but as I'm still fine tuning things, I've got a ways to go. I'll make you guys a deal, I'll post what I've done so far, you guys can give me some feed back, and we'll all refine it from there. Sound like a plan? :-)

And, now, for the standard proviso: I ain't responsible for any damages to your system if you attempt this. You, and only you, are. So, don't forget to do step one, or ya gots no one to whine to but yerself. ;-)

The story, so far:
1. Create a new or backup your old Amithlon System partition.
2. Either rename that partition to, or assign it, the name "AmiKit."
3. Be sure to preserve Amithlon specific files, such as C:AmithlonC directory, any files in the S: directory, any files in the DEVS: directory. (More to be added if found).
4. Copy the AmiKit files to the new AmiKit partition.

Tip 1: AmiKit contains a boat-load of files labeled "_UAEFSDB.___" and stored in every directory you got just to support UAE. Amithlon has no use for them and they take up space in the tens of megabytes. You might want to delete them before you copy.

5. Restore the Amithlon specific files, but be careful to preserve their AmiKit counterparts.
6. Create a new startup-sequence using a combination of the Amithlon and Amikit counterparts. Here is what my startup-sequence looks like.

Tip 2: DOpus5 requires, for some reason, that LoadWB be renamed LoadWB_Old. I did so, and then created an alias for LoadWB. Might be a better way to do this, though...

Tip 3: Remember to save BOTH your Amithlon AND AmiKit "User-Startup" files. I modified my Amithlon User Startup to include, first, a call to the AmiKit User Startup file.

7. Remove from the WBStartup directory, the following icons, as best I can tell, they're not needed or won't run under Amithlon: glmatrix68k_exe, winuaeclip, MMKeyboardServer.
8. Reboot!

If you end up with a 4 color, low-res Workbench, like I did, then:
9 In DEVS:Monitors, modify the PowerFB ToolTypes to match the UAEGFX ToolTypes EXCEPT for the BoardType parameter. Leave it equal to "PowerFB."

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling your Picasso96 drivers. Honestly, I did this the other way around, reinstalled and then modified the PowerFB device, but the reinstall may not have been necessary.

Tip 5: if you do something wrong and the system will not get to a point where you can edit the startup-sequence, or any other file, for that matter. Reboot and hold both mouse buttons down to bring up the boot menu. Select "boot with no startup-sequence." That will get you to a point where you can then "ed s:startup-sequence" and fix things.

The story, yet to come:
System is not 100% stable, but it is usable. If, for example, I open a bunch of windows, and then close them, the system will reboot. I suspect this may have yet to do with the PowerFB settings and is why I suspect copying the UAEGFX ToolTypes may not be exactly the right solution.

AHI does not work, but I'm not certain that it ever did on my box. Obviously, I need to spend more time figuring this one out.

Networking is not completely functional. I assume because AmiKit is configured to use the bsdsocket.library. Amithlon, if memory serves, uses the powerne2k.device. I'm not sure yet, what, if anything, I need to do to get the two working together. What I can do is start Miami, ping other boxes in my network and even "samba" over to another box. What I can't do is surf using any of the supplied browsers, including the ones from my original Amithlon configuration.

AmiStart is only partially functional. It displays, I can raise and lower windows, I can navigate to various programs but I cannot activate them. Not sure how to approach this one just yet. Those same programs, some of them, appear to function fine when I activate them directly.

And, I'm sure there's more, but this is all I've discovered so far.

As always, if you guys have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Just give me a clue, I'm always in need of one. ;-)

Ed.
Ed.

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 07:53:51 PM »
@Ed

I'll make you a deal, Jan, as payment for my services, including my JBoing demo, how about you, I dunno... give me a copy of AmiKit for free!

Well, we have a deal then! Check this out. :-) Heh, heh.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »
AmiKit EddyZone? Well, that's real nice naming it after me, but that's not really necessary. A free copy of AmiKit is good enough for me. ;-) Yea, yea, I know, it's probably the Czech word (or is it Italian?) for "edition" buy my name is Eddy and I do live in Arizona, so... I couldn't resist. :-D

Looks nice, Jan. AmiKit marches on! :-)

@ All

OK, I can't blame AmiKit for my network issues. It seems that my original Amithlon configuration has the exact same network problems. It's been a while since I used it, so...

Replacing the AmiKit version of AmiStart with a non-AmiKit version doesn't seem to fix it, so... Looks like I got more tinkering to do there.

Ed.
Ed.

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 12:54:27 AM »
AmiKit EddyZone? Well, that's real nice naming it after me, but that's not really necessary.

:laughing:

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 04:42:34 PM »
All right. Continuing my adventures...

I managed to fix the problem with AmiStart not executing applications. It seems that I need load BOTH the Workbench using the LoadWB command AND Directory Opus using the LoadDB command. This, of course, uses extra memory and seems wasteful, but at least AmiStart is functional now.

Using only LoadDB with the AmiStart tooltype USEWBSTART doesn't seem to work.

As always, thoughts, suggestions and comments welcome. :-)

Ed.
Ed.