Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon2 vs Winuae  (Read 7561 times)

Description:

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show all replies
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: Amithlon2 vs Winuae
« on: October 18, 2002, 08:56:42 PM »
I have an Amithlon box with a Gforce2mx, its well supported and i use to have a resolutin like 1152x864x24@82Khz and its faast.
right now i'm looking for the right laptop to eventually put amithlon (whatever it's called). because it's a laptop i need and want 3 OS's. windows2000, linux, and amiga. i refuse to use windowsXP (evil spyware, amoung other reasons).

the hard part about this process is getting hardware that will work resonably well with all 3 OS's. and getting windows2000. it seems like most Dells, for example, come with XP (Phut!)

anyway, i've looked at the amithlon.net site for help in the hardware dept, and linux mailinglists. i know nothing about linux except that i like what i've seen so far.

i'll make a note of your post but if anyone has additional info about laptops, feel free to say so. :-D

just to clarify my needs: no interest in games. I need 24bit display for ImageFX. on the windows side I need to run AfterEffects (which is the only reason for windows at all), I need to burn CD's - hopefully from all 3 OS's, web connection would be nice from linux and amiga side mostly but i've heard some laptop modems don't work well with linux and as near as i can figure amithlon uses linux drivers.
I need the amiga side to be able to access the PC side. I've been reading about Fat95 which I happen to use on my real amiga and it works great. hopefully, that will be all i need ;)
I'd like to use a Zip drive (USB?) to transfer files to the laptop. if the amiga side can't see that then i need to have the amiga see the "Fat" windows partition or whatever the right way to do this is. i ain't no teck nerd, just an artist and i'm trying the best i can to understand all this stuff.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 10:44:30 PM »

DethKnight wrote:
@cecelia Thru my experiences, I'd say ou'll enjoy Win2K far better than other Windozes. Mine has yet to crash.
(but ultimately I find myself back in linux or UAE mostly)
I think I already said I was only going to use windows2000. AT work (when there is work) my boss has 2000 and it's the most stable we've  ever had in the office (except for when there were amigas there, of course). Plus, it  works great with aftereffects.

right now I just have to get a list of gfx cards that will let me use 24 bit. I've already gone on the amithlon mailing list with this question. I haven't made a final choice between amithlon and UAE (is that Amiga Forever, been out of it for a while, all these things are somewhat confusing). I just need to get a laptop with hardware that will work and be useful. I'm really looking forward to using linux, actually.

I'm keeping my real amigas, of course, but i need something that's portable and that runs AF so i can actually make a living whereever I go.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 12:52:44 AM »
thanks loads, fellas! I'm letting my friend - linux fan and "expert" - do all the installing. but i'll let him know all the opinions i've gotten.

i figure i'll have to browbeat a Dell employee-phone guy into giving me Win2000 instead of the horrorXP, but if i'm armed with hardware details, it'll be easier. maybe  :-D
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 04:35:34 AM »
you guys are the best :-D i'm feeling alot more confident about this whole thing! :-P
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 05:27:33 AM »

spihunter wrote:
@cecilia

I would go with a dual boot Win2k/linux setup
with Winuae running on Widows or UAE on linux.
that way your amiga side will have no problem
"seeing" the other OS's and it could share your
network card with Windows. The latest WinUAE
is very fast!!.  Save your self the hassle!!
I just got my Dell Latitude C840 (I think it's 840)
with win2000. it seems to run fast and nice! since "amithlon" doesn't look like it will go anywhere I think I'm going to try for this WinUae.
I've looked at the sites listed on this thread but, my god, it all looks like chinese to me.

ask me to use guassian blur and i have no problems, but tech-no-babble spins my head right off!!!  :-o

what version should I get of this WinUae stuff? My laptop has a GeForce4 card and 60 Gig HD (I have plenty of room for several OS's!!!)

I have amiga ROM's on a CD, and I know (sort of) that I need that but do they need to be put on a floppy? alot of this stuff is very confusing.

i have lots of questions, but i'm dizzy at the moment  :-D
IFX CD Tutorial