Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: P2P Bounty #70, Wanderer Enhancement Is Live  (Read 2252 times)

Description:

Offline dammyTopic starter

• Show only replies by dammy
P2P Bounty #70, Wanderer Enhancement Is Live
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »
http://power2people.org/projects/profile/70

Description

This project aims to provide funding for a major enhancement of Wanderer. This entails:

Bring wanderer to a level equal to the original workbench. AppMenu/Icon/Window support must be functional, as well as all normal menu operations. The Arexx functionality needs to be implemented and working with all supported commands from workbench. Icon/Detail views need to be working correctly, including resizing/reordering columns in detail view.
    Rework the internals of wanderer to allow plugins that extend or provide new functionality. Existing functionality that is “above” the level provided by wanderer should be moved into separate plugins so that users/distribution builders can provide those they deem appropriate.
    Implement menu handling in such a way that plugins can directly manipulate the entire Wanderer menu structure, instead of just having access to the tools menu as is traditionally made available via AppMenu’s.
    Ensure keyboard input handling allows wanderer to be used when a mouse is unavailable. This includes navigation aswell as basic handling of selected files (deleting etc).
    Provide support for context sensitive menu options via defaulticon’s. base defaulticons should be able to expose new menu commands displayed when specific icons are selected.
    Rework enumeration handling so that child threads are used to handle IO. This allows the windows to remain responsive while operations are being performed.
    Implement buffering for the iconlist rendering to remove flickering when working with the iconlist view.

Some behaviour changes will occur -:

Behaviour for displaying contents of alien volumes (e.g. with no .info file) will be user settable in the prefs.
    File handling on the same volume will default to moving instead of copying.
    Selection handling will be reworked to allow single click launching, etc, to allow easier use on tablets and other non-mouse based input devices.

Additionally the following plugins will be provided.

The current location input “toolbar” implemented as a separate plugin, which also provides location history for the window. The location input also displays an icon representation of the current location, and adds drop support for changing locations when an icon is dropped upon it.
    The status bar implemented as a plugin.
    The existing “AROS” specific menu options moved to a separate plugin.
    A new “Drawer” navigation panel plugin, that allows easier single window file management and navigation. Enumeration of locations is handled by the main wanderer classes and displayed as a tree.
    A thumbnail plugin that replaces the icon handling in wanderer with the ability to display thumbnails of supported media files (via datatypes).
    A network location plugin that serves as a place holder for additional network location plugins.
    An SMB browser plugin that enumerates SMB services available on the network. Access to network shares is done by dynamically mounting the chosen shares via SMBFS, as needed.

N.B – by default, and with no plugins – wander will look and feel like workbench.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: P2P Bounty #70, Wanderer Enhancement Is Live
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Quote from: dammy;763519
http://power2people.org/projects/profile/70

Description

This project aims to provide funding for a major enhancement of Wanderer. This entails:

Bring wanderer to a level equal to the original workbench. AppMenu/Icon/Window support must be functional, as well as all normal menu operations. The Arexx functionality needs to be implemented and working with all supported commands from workbench. Icon/Detail views need to be working correctly, including resizing/reordering columns in detail view.
    Rework the internals of wanderer to allow plugins that extend or provide new functionality. Existing functionality that is “above” the level provided by wanderer should be moved into separate plugins so that users/distribution builders can provide those they deem appropriate.
    Implement menu handling in such a way that plugins can directly manipulate the entire Wanderer menu structure, instead of just having access to the tools menu as is traditionally made available via AppMenu’s.
    Ensure keyboard input handling allows wanderer to be used when a mouse is unavailable. This includes navigation aswell as basic handling of selected files (deleting etc).
    Provide support for context sensitive menu options via defaulticon’s. base defaulticons should be able to expose new menu commands displayed when specific icons are selected.
    Rework enumeration handling so that child threads are used to handle IO. This allows the windows to remain responsive while operations are being performed.
    Implement buffering for the iconlist rendering to remove flickering when working with the iconlist view.

Some behaviour changes will occur -:

Behaviour for displaying contents of alien volumes (e.g. with no .info file) will be user settable in the prefs.
    File handling on the same volume will default to moving instead of copying.
    Selection handling will be reworked to allow single click launching, etc, to allow easier use on tablets and other non-mouse based input devices.

Additionally the following plugins will be provided.

The current location input “toolbar” implemented as a separate plugin, which also provides location history for the window. The location input also displays an icon representation of the current location, and adds drop support for changing locations when an icon is dropped upon it.
    The status bar implemented as a plugin.
    The existing “AROS” specific menu options moved to a separate plugin.
    A new “Drawer” navigation panel plugin, that allows easier single window file management and navigation. Enumeration of locations is handled by the main wanderer classes and displayed as a tree.
    A thumbnail plugin that replaces the icon handling in wanderer with the ability to display thumbnails of supported media files (via datatypes).
    A network location plugin that serves as a place holder for additional network location plugins.
    An SMB browser plugin that enumerates SMB services available on the network. Access to network shares is done by dynamically mounting the chosen shares via SMBFS, as needed.

N.B – by default, and with no plugins – wander will look and feel like workbench.

I was under the impression that once we had Magellan II, that Wanderer would not be required for the future, though it appears I am wrong, so with that in mind, I will probably find my self donating to this bounty once I have money again.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
i think its worthwhile to have alternatives but its also good to have native solution with an original concept.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;763522
I was under the impression that once we had Magellan II, that Wanderer would not be required for the future, though it appears I am wrong, so with that in mind, I will probably find my self donating to this bounty once I have money again.

Wanderer is the face of Aros so it is best to have it updated and fixed.  Distro maintainers can choose what fits their vision for their Distros.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;763526
Wanderer is the face of Aros so it is best to have it updated and fixed.  Distro maintainers can choose what fits their vision for their Distros.

And apparently parts of Magellan II depend upon Wanderer working as 100% to WorkBench as possible, so on that note, I fully support this venture! ;)

Never was much a fan of stock Workbench though personally, I've almost always used Magellan unless of course it was in relation to an un-upgraded Amiga, in which case I went ToolsDaemon all the way...

...ToolsDaemon for Wanderer, now there's an idea!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline dammyTopic starter

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »
:bump:  $250!
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.