Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is really needed is an Amiga laptop ...  (Read 2248 times)

Description:

Offline mactoTopic starter

• Show only replies by macto
Re: ultimate
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
I'm trying to get the Unix version running under Mac OS X, seeming as MacUAE seems to have been abandoned in 1998.  It is working with my A2000 ROM and disk images of Workbench 2.04, but I have been unable to mount a local directory (ie. so I can use my OS 3.9 CD, to see what it looks like in something more than 16 colours ;-) ).  It would also be nice to have more disk space in 2.04.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
Re: What is really needed is an Amiga laptop ...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 10:48:12 PM »
I've been following UAE for a long time, even prior to the WinUAE version.  The original UAE page at one time (a very long time ago) stated that UAE stood for Unix Amiga Emulator.  When the application started getting ported to other platforms, the original UAE site had a comment that due to the number of platforms it had been ported to, it should probably be changed to Universal Amiga Emulator.  This was back when the original Unix version of UAE was still in development, and when WinUAE was not THE primary port.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 10:51:31 PM »
Maybe we could get someone (Black Troll?) to put out a glowing BOING! replacement for Apple Laptops. Just pop out the Apple logo and get your BOING! on. :elvis:

Apple is no different with their glowing logo.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 11:35:04 PM »
This isn't meant to slight the developers, but I think the bus errors I was running into was due to sloppy coding.  The problem deals with threading, which isn't the sort of thing I know how to work around, so I'm just going to set UAE aside.

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 01:35:29 AM »
Hello
There are LCD + Mini ITX "all in one" case and there are Opus DC-DC converter that enable Mini-ITX to use +12V battery. For Input device, the notebook can use ordinary / foldable keyboard or Touchscreen LCD.

I hope it is possible to put MicroA1 inside the case in the future. Is there any Touch Screen LCD driver + software support for MicroA1 + AmigaOS 4?

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 05:19:22 AM »
You'll have to wait...  But a cheap laptop with AROS native installed after this bounty is complete should work. It's about as close as we are going to get to an Amiga laptop for the forseeable future.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 05:32:20 AM »
Cool.  The bounties are are great idea and Bounty #15 looks awfully tempting.  Now if only I had enough patience for programming.  I know that those bounties aren't much given the amount of work, but it is a heck of a lot more appealing than looking for a job.   :roll:

Offline Argo

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 06:40:40 AM »
That's what I don't like. People looking at these bounty programs and thinking it's like getting paid to do the work. They complain, not that you are, that it's not enought. That they would be paid more on an actual programming job.
It's not like that. Yeah, it's an incendive to get someone to do the work. It's just that these bounty programs have more in common with the X-Prize and a paid programming job.
I mean 10 Million dollars to build a vehicle what will reach orbit not once but twice in two weeks. Most if not all of the teams have spent more than that. So, why? Well, being part of the project that put the first non-goverment manned craft in to orbit is one, not to mention it looks dead cool on a resume or CV for the non-americans.

Offline kvasarnomad

• Show only replies by kvasarnomad
    • http://goto.glocalnet.net/kvasar.nomad
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 07:48:51 AM »
hey this is what Im going to do
sometime ago I got the idea of making a amiga laptop
I thought that I would use a A600 because of the size and that I now have 2, but I bought a used A600 2 weeks ago and its so much whiter than my old one
so I cant rip it out,
and my old one isnt my really mine, its my big brother's and you can see that its been used(really yellow,brown)
so I guess I must buy one more
but theres a problem, if I want it to be more than a 7mhz A600 I must get hold of a A600 accelerator and I have read that they are rare and dont work good
I already have a minit-itx with a dc-dc power card(dont like thoes huge PCUs plus this makes it COMPLETE silent)
which I indended to make a laptop off
I have bought a battery which I have succesfully been using to power my mini-itx
so I would be able to power a a600 with that to if I wire it right
Like one of you above have written I would then proberly used some type of lcd like the ones you can buy ps2(btw have one)
but it would in the end not be as thin as my brothers powerbook g4 17"
latetly I been thinking of using a A1200 but Im not sure how much longer it becomes with a accelerator(still havent recieved my viper  :-(  )
please give some comments on this :-)

EDIT: I just saw the tread with the A600 with accelerator
wow maybe they arent that rare then :-D
hdw:
ยต-A1-C - OS4.0-PR-U2, 256MB || A1200D - NetBSD(part), 50MHz, 32MB RAM, 6GB HD || A600 -  OS2.4, 2MB RAM, 60MB HD  || 2xA600 - OS2.4 || AMD - FC3, 1GHz || VIA Mini-Itx - Debian, 533MHz || Aqua PS2

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 09:20:16 AM »
@kvasarnomad

Somebody has already modified their A600 into a proper laptop called the Suzzane. However the Suzzane does not run on batteries like you want to do. Is it a typical laptop battery you are using?

http://amiga.emugaming.com/suzanne.html

What I don't understand, is that given the purported power savings in the microA1, why it can't be turned into a laptop, albeit a bulky one. Surely battery parts could be borrowed from other manufacturers to make this happen. Alan Redhouse seemed dead against the idea of creating a laptop in his AMIGB speech(over the phone). Oh well, he has too much on his plate as it is. I think it will be up to the community to create them and maybe even sell them. In fact I think his concern might also be that they wouldn't be cutting edge and thus wouldn't be attractive in the mass market.

If you can turn an A600 into a laptop, you most certainly can do that to any other PPC piece of kit. However, I would settle for it being portable, as I never use my laptop unless its plugged in anyway. In fact I am working on a similar project, which I hope to have ready for Amiwest, but its more a gimmick then a feasable solution. A desktop/set-top solution you will be able to pick up by a handle and take with you, which includes a basic screen which would only be used on the road. Sort of like a portable Commodore SX64 but not as bulky or heavy as it consists of laptop parts. Thing is, I really don't want to buy a mini-ITX board until the microA1 comes out so I don't know yet, if I'll go through with the project. I've been told the EPIA motherboards don't run Amiga Forever very well, so I was going to opt for the P4 mini-itx board, but all this is starting to get rather expensive.

Commodore SX64 History
http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/sx64.htm

A modded mini-ITX SX64 project
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/sx64/

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »

macto wrote:
I'm trying to get the Unix version running under Mac OS X, seeming as MacUAE seems to have been abandoned in 1998.  It is working with my A2000 ROM and disk images of Workbench 2.04, but I have been unable to mount a local directory (ie. so I can use my OS 3.9 CD, to see what it looks like in something more than 16 colours ;-) ).  It would also be nice to have more disk space in 2.04.

I assume that you used the drummond versionhttp://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 04:34:55 PM »
Yeap.  It's weird.  I compile it, and it's broken.  The precompiled stuff works, but is slower.

Offline Argo

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »
Anyone remember PAWS?

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2004, 11:27:40 PM »
Hum,
 yea,
Bit too bulky at the time i thought (though i wouldn`t have complained if i had one...)

[Did anybody actually buy one of them?]

[WinUAE = Winchester 1876 UniversAl Ejection-mechanism]

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2004, 12:53:09 AM »

Argo wrote:
Anyone remember PAWS?
yes! it was the 1st time I saw amiga as portable and while it was clumsy, it was a cool idea. plus, their mouse was cute.

somewhere i may still have their cat button.... :-P
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 11, 2004, 01:25:50 AM »

Argo wrote:
Anyone remember PAWS?

Yes, but it was a bit big...
When the Access came out I wanted to make a laptop around that!
Would have been a bit smaller...
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!