Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Amiga" patents - what are they?  (Read 3841 times)

Description:

Offline MorleyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Morley
"Amiga" patents - what are they?
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »
See thread title.

I'm thinking about the original Amiga patents and/or intellectual property coming from the original Commodore bankruptcy...

What exact areas does the patents cover? Anybody know? I tried googling but nowhere did I find anything useful - apart from some DMA patent from the late 80s.

This is purely out of curiosity - since everytime the Amiga intellectual property/patents have switched hands they have been "spoken highly" of.
Lame signature removed by moderator.

Offline Tension

Re: "Amiga" patents - what are they?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Worthless

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
Quote from: Tension;518096
Worthless

That is also my thought, but it would be interesting to know what exactly they have/had...purely out of curiosity.

There has been so much talk about these patents, but nowhere can we find what they are about.

Offline Caius

• Show only replies by Caius
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
I seem to remember that they had patent on selecting multiple items from a menu at once. Or more likely, the way it was done on the Amiga.
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
Quote from: Tension;518096
Worthless

no shit sherlock!...

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
At almost 25 years old, the question becomes are these patents still valid? If so could they be used as ammunition against current Amiga clone projects (like the Natami or Jens Schönfeld's project)?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;518114
At almost 25 years old, the question becomes are these patents still valid? If so could they be used as ammunition against current Amiga clone projects (like the Natami or Jens Schönfeld's project)?

Not Valid in a legal sense... Certainly not valid in a technological sense...

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
20 years patent lifetime, right?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »
Quote from: orb85750;518123
20 years patent lifetime, right?

Then the patents are not a restriction (they might be useful as technical reference material). The only real restriction becomes the copyrighted intellectual property (Kickstart, AOS, etc.).
So, is there a way to uncover the details of a old patent?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;518125
Then the patents are not a restriction (they might be useful as technical reference material). The only real restriction becomes the copyrighted intellectual property (Kickstart, AOS, etc.).
So, is there a way to uncover the details of a old patent?

The old patents are for an implementation of an idea, since we don't want to sue that implementation anymore, I doubt there are any chip fabs left in the world that could build the original chips anymore, they are valueless... Best just do what has been done before with UAE, MiniMIG and Jens cloneA projects where you simply duplicate the functionality.

Yeah, the intellectual property is more difficult... Kickstart and AOS are both protected by copyright... but there is no law against cloning them... and thus AROS...

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
Hmm...I don't really care so much about the legal status or whether or not I'm allowed to use the patents, since I'm not at all considering cloning/building anything.

This is just plain curiosity. (Maybe the exact details are not out there in the public since it really is worth nada - while Amiga Inc. is pretending they are sitting on gold.)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »
This should be an faq somewhere, the patents are dead, the copyright (on the OS) and trademark (Amiga) continue.  Lots of companies have no patents, Amiga Inc is just one of them.  It's the copyright that prevents you from cloning AmigaOS and the trademark that prevents you from calling it Amiga OS...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »
Quote from: Morley;518133
Hmm...I don't really care so much about the legal status or whether or not I'm allowed to use the patents, since I'm not at all considering cloning/building anything.

This is just plain curiosity. (Maybe the exact details are not out there in the public since it really is worth nada - while Amiga Inc. is pretending they are sitting on gold.)

I can understand your curiosity (if available, the patents might lead to a clearer understanding of the Amiga's hardware and software systems).
As to Amiga Inc (and in particular Bill McEwan), I take any statements they make with a grain of salt. Amiga Anywhere seems rather pointless. Legal battles over Amiga OS4.x have hampered the development of future Amiga systems. Amiga OS5? No doubt, that's not going to happen unless they get the source to 4.0 (and then they'll probably be relying on their India subsidiary to create 5.0).
Frankly, even if their intellectual property has residual value, the longer they sit on it without developing it, the lower that value becomes.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
Quote from: persia;518136
This should be an faq somewhere, the patents are dead, the copyright (on the OS) and trademark (Amiga) continue.  Lots of companies have no patents, Amiga Inc is just one of them.  It's the copyright that prevents you from cloning AmigaOS and the trademark that prevents you from calling it Amiga OS...

Nothing prevents you from cloning AmigaOS... hence AROS and MorphOS... you just can't call it AmigaOS.

Copyright stops you from copying, as in physical copy (i.e. disk/rom chip/etc), but cloning is fine.