Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?  (Read 27557 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Toni Wilen adding PPC emulation in WinUAE?
« Reply #104 from previous page: August 14, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;770910
I have downloaded the latest beta but how do I set it up with PPC support? Or am I just being a numpty?

You're being a numpty? :) wtf is a a numpty? lulz
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;770920
You're being a numpty? :) wtf is a a numpty? lulz

A numpty is a silly billy :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Pentad

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
Quote from: ddniUK;770913
I was wondering about MorphOS on WinUAE, then I read this.
http://powerup.morphos-team.net/terms.html

1. Every component of the  MorphOS PowerUP Free Edition may only be used on PowerPC accelerator  cards by phase5/DCE. Usage on any other hardware and/or inside of  emulation environments is strictly forbidden.

Is this limitation still valid?

Good luck enforcing that.  Apple tried that line as well and here in the US that is pretty hard to enforce.  If a person purchases a product say OS X or MorphOS they have broad freedom of where to run it.

If I buy MorphOS and decide to run in under WinUAE in the privacy of my home there isn't much that MorphOS can do about it.

The developers of MorphOS -if they were smart- would try to find a way to make money off of WinUAE users.

Adding protection and suing your customers never really works in situations like this.

WinUAE could actually increase MorphOS sales.  The last thing they want to do is piss off potential customers who will end up pirating the software out of want or spite.

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »
Pentad

Its Powerup FREE edition you dont need to reg it afaik.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »
Pentad,

You do realize MorphOS isn't supported on Amiga PowerUP cards anymore right? All you have is the legacy 1.4 release which as Magnetic said, is free.

In broader perspective, even if Amiga derivatives ran on commodity hardware you'd have the same issue faced by GNU/Linux and BSD on a larger scale: Lack of drivers due to developers being limited to small sets of motherboards and combination setups. And because the majority of Amiga users cannot code at all, you're going to have the same people bitching and moaning about their hardware being unsupported, and since x86 hardware is pretty much junk ( I've had 3 out of the 7 machines I have owned in the last 2 years die or in some cases catch fire ) in terms of build quality any attempt to make "Amigas" via custom built boxes that are 100% supported will be cost ineffective.

I had a colleague of mine in college who has a Pegasos II which has been running 24/7 for nearly 10 years with no failures as a server. He has gone through 4 desktops in the same period and cost himself nearly 3 times the amount the Pegasos II G4 cost from initial investment. He now is building a refurb  POWER 5 server and adding a video card to make a workstation. Too costly for me personally, but I think he will get his money's worth before it dies.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;770928
Pentad,

You do realize MorphOS isn't supported on Amiga PowerUP cards anymore right? All you have is the legacy 1.4 release which as Magnetic said, is free.

In broader perspective, even if Amiga derivatives ran on commodity hardware you'd have the same issue faced by GNU/Linux and BSD on a larger scale: Lack of drivers due to developers being limited to small sets of motherboards and combination setups. And because the majority of Amiga users cannot code at all, you're going to have the same people bitching and moaning about their hardware being unsupported, and since x86 hardware is pretty much junk ( I've had 3 out of the 7 machines I have owned in the last 2 years die or in some cases catch fire ) in terms of build quality any attempt to make "Amigas" via custom built boxes that are 100% supported will be cost ineffective.

I had a colleague of mine in college who has a Pegasos II which has been running 24/7 for nearly 10 years with no failures as a server. He has gone through 4 desktops in the same period and cost himself nearly 3 times the amount the Pegasos II G4 cost from initial investment. He now is building a refurb  POWER 5 server and adding a video card to make a workstation. Too costly for me personally, but I think he will get his money's worth before it dies.

The developers of Arix are solving the driver limitations by using one of your hated linux kernels. And I have to say that I know a lot of people owning X86, using it on desktop and/or server with none catching fire so calling it "junk" is nonsense. You have a huge market with lots of different components you can choice from so if you need something 24/7 you use different components. And I have one customer where a normal "junk" PC run since 2006 24/7 without any failure or "catching fire".

Offline Senex

• Show only replies by Senex
    • http://www.amiga-news.de/standard
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;770925
Its Powerup FREE edition you dont need to reg it afaik.

According to the homepage it is time-limited like the main edition, just that one has two hours per session.

Offline pVC

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Quote from: Senex;770945
According to the homepage it is time-limited like the main edition, just that one has two hours per session.

The registration to get it unlimited was free, but I think registration server has been down for a while now.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
I thought they had put the server back up recently or was it just for a limited time
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ToddH

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;770943
The developers of Arix are solving the driver limitations by using one of your hated linux kernels. And I have to say that I know a lot of people owning X86, using it on desktop and/or server with none catching fire so calling it "junk" is nonsense. You have a huge market with lots of different components you can choice from so if you need something 24/7 you use different components. And I have one customer where a normal "junk" PC run since 2006 24/7 without any failure or "catching fire".

I'm the lone IT person at a large government office. I take care of 100's of x86 machines and not once over the years have I ever had a machine catch fire. X86 machines these days are far from junk. And I'm also looking forward to what the Arix guys come up with.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;770928
Pentad,

and since x86 hardware is pretty much junk ( I've had 3 out of the 7 machines I have owned in the last 2 years die or in some cases catch fire )

I have never in my entire life had any sort of computer catch fire, ever.  I've never ever had a computer "just die" either.  Looks like you're buying from shady places or people.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Ancalimon;770626
Since everyone who has one of those ppc cards already have AmigaOS4, it would only allow Hyperion to sell more copies of AmigaOS4. So I think they should be paying Toni Wilen so that he can support the cards. :)

If OS4.x ends up running perfect under WinUAE...out of curiosity...how much is OS4 ?
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline pVC

« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;770962
If OS4.x ends up running perfect under WinUAE...out of curiosity...how much is OS4 ?

Quickly looking something like 100-130e depending from where you order it, but I think the more important question is if you can get it even if you have the money. I know couple of people who have been waiting their OS4.1/Peg2 version for a year or so from the retailer. Apparently they don't have much in stock or batches are rare...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2014, 05:04:02 PM »
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2014, 05:38:24 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;770966
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1035

About 90 EUR , in stock, apparently.

it is a little pricey for my taste, at least if it runs on WinUAE. Official they say price must be that high because of the small market, if now the potential market becomes much bigger (without them doing anything for it) at least the classic version should be lowered in price.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;770962

100% OS4 running in Emulation