Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Banned for life from English Amiga Board for NO specified reason - Appeal?  (Read 12164 times)

Description:

Offline FoebaneTopic starter

• Show only replies by Foebane
Re: Banned for life from English Amiga Board for NO specified reason - Appeal?
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »
I was on EAB for literally about ten years, I discovered to my surprise after I was banned, and I don't recall ever being temporarily banned for anything I posted.

HOWEVER, I remember that months before my permanent ban, I did start a thread about a Demoscene production that used a derogatory expression for the Amiga as its title, and I used it for the thread title, and I suppose that could be seen as inciting to troll and provoke people, and it certainly sparked debate as to, in my wording at the time, why an Amiga demo would bash the platform like this. The irony is, the Amiga demo in question had Japanese characters in its title and google did the translation for me, which was very open to interpretation, so the bashing wasn't obvious.

In the end, after the discussion was done, the mods closed the thread and gave me a polite warning and NO ban, not even temporary. So I suppose that, in combination with the main infraction, was enough to ban me for life.

I should've mentioned this at the start, but I really didn't think it would be relevant. And the rules for posting on EAB do say not to insult anyone outright.

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
No it's not - no at all, it's enough to just be repetitive.

I did nothing serious to get banned, not at all. Once the "troll stamp" has been cast on you, it is used as excuse for just about anything - "Oh he is just a troll". It was written by certain people (who are not banned btw) that I've been using multiple accounts (untrue), that I was already banned on multiple forums already (untrue at the time), that I have psychologial issues (huh, 'cause everyone's a shrink? No, not at all) and more personal attack nonsense.

There is a tendency in this community that people fall into "camps", where certain "teams" and their "leaders" are glorified beyond what is healthy. It's not unique to Amiga, but this community is so tiny that this social concept is almost purified without much of the complexity found elsewhere. When an alpha-nerd says "troll", the geek followers ("minions") are only happy to act as a mob, across multiple forums and whatever. But it doesn't work in the long run, the world is larger than these bubbles, and technical problems don't vanish just because you get rid of the "trolls" that have been pointing them out. And sometimes alpha-nerds just pull the plug and sign off, leaving the "minions" in confusion, and the projects are left in disarray.

I'm not going to comment on the specifics of your case either. But I was one of the (not banned members) who called you a troll and (not surprisingly) there were many others too.

You had clearly perfected and demonstrated the technique of indirect or implied trolling. Always finding a suggestive or subtle way to turn the discussion negative.

As far as the allegation of having multiple EAB accounts, I doubt it was ever taken seriously by any of the mods. It's actually possible to either prove or disprove this in most cases.

As far as the matter of psychological issues, you have once again underestimated the expertise of the EAB moderating staff:

https://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=46386

P.S. Don't worry this is a troll friendly forum and you are welcome here. ;)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:01:22 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline kolla

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 07:45:52 PM »
I'm not going to comment on the specifics of your case either. But I was one of the (not banned members) who called you a troll and (not surprisingly) there were many others too.

Of course there were, the same ones, again and again, that’s what I wrote. I’ve been around long enough to know how this works.

You had clearly perfected and demonstrated the technique of indirect or implied trolling. Always finding a suggestive or subtle way to turn the discussion negative.

Not for nothing - I’m not negative by default, but when certain Amiga projects again and again turn into shitshows, it’s hard to remain overly positive.

As far as the allegation of having multiple EAB accounts, I doubt it was ever taken seriously by any of the mods. It's actually possible to either prove or disprove this in most cases.

I am talking about accusations repeatedly made by other forum members, without any mods lifting an eye over that. And I can imagine there is a certain overlap with those who leave complaints.

As far as the matter of psychological issues, you have once again underestimated the expertise of the EAB moderating staff:

https://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=46386

You can find my name if you search publications in psychological research too, but so what?

P.S. Don't worry this is a troll friendly forum and you are welcome here. ;)

The way you and ThoR throw the troll term at each other… symptomatic.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »
Of course there were, the same ones, again and again, that’s what I wrote. I’ve been around long enough to know how this works.

You still don't seem to understand that it was your own behavior (again and again) which invited this response. But regardless of how many complaints were made against you, in the end the mods made their own determination on those complaints.   

Not for nothing - I’m not negative by default, but when certain Amiga projects again and again turn into shitshows, it’s hard to remain overly positive.

If you don't like a certain Amiga project and you offer a brief, fair-minded and honest criticism that's one thing. But you all to often embarked on a much more destructive and repetitive marketing "Shitshow" against the projects you dislike... and that's exactly how you earn a negative reputation by default.

I am talking about accusations repeatedly made by other forum members, without any mods lifting an eye over that. And I can imagine there is a certain overlap with those who leave complaints.

Now, why I am not surprised that you failed to win any sympathy, for any unproven accusations made against you? In any case, it proves my point that the mods ignored these accusations in making their own determination on these various complaints.

The way you and ThoR throw the troll term at each other… symptomatic.

Don't you mean guest11527 (e.g. the anonymous version of ThoR)? Anyway, it seems that for a short time at least, you were both kindred spirits.

IIRC you were happy to reference him to attack my FastCache040+ coding project (on EAB) in the very early stage of it's development. Don't worry, I won't attempt to change your negative opinion of my project. ;)

However, it's interesting to note that you and he apparently had a falling out when he decided to help Hyperion (the Entertainer) become the heroic savior of our beloved Amiga OS. ;D   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 03:10:26 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline utri007

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »

If you don't like a certain Amiga project and you offer a brief, fair-minded and honest criticism that's one thing. But you all to often embarked on a much more destructive and repetitive marketing "Shitshow" against the projects you dislike... and that's exactly how you earn a negative reputation by default.

This is good and valid point. I really don't understand people's desire to bash other projects and spend hours to it. What they wait dev to do? Something like "I do just like you order me to do" with their 1 000 000 x complaints.

I don't like Vampire, I think it is harmful to 68k scene many ways. I can write my opinion few times, but I don't pop up to Vampire fan's thread and start to repeat it 1000x and trying to convince devs to do like I think they should do.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »
<shrug>

I've been thrown out of loads of places, Usually for political reasons. A few I've left voluntarily.

EAB was just another bust from my point of view.

"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline FoebaneTopic starter

• Show only replies by Foebane
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »
Sorry to hear you were banned from EAB, Pat. I'm certain I remember your avatar, if not your name, at least.

I wouldn't give a damn about EAB neither, but what do you do about WinUAE queries?

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »
Sorry to hear you were banned from EAB, Pat. I'm certain I remember your avatar, if not your name, at least.

I wouldn't give a damn about EAB neither, but what do you do about WinUAE queries?

I don't have any. I'm a Linux user. :)

More importantly, I'm totally cool trustin Toni Wilen. He does have a great record on sorting bugs.

EDIT: You could try Paypaling a donation direct to the guy. Cut out the middle management.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:25:03 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline esteele

• Show only replies by esteele
    • plannetccs
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 04:38:14 PM »
Wow who runs this board.... i Started making some products in Canada for sale on my website for users in Canada i was thinking i could help by offering some services or posting something to one of the threads....
And BAM lifetime ban no warnings nothing.
Not a very friendly website i don't recall it being this snobby in the 80s yea you got banned but for a period of time or even got a warning.
Just shows when you give some people power how they let it go to their heads.
Ill sell all the Pistorm32s i want.... :)

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2023, 04:26:10 PM »
Wow who runs this board.... i Started making some products in Canada for sale on my website for users in Canada i was thinking i could help by offering some services or posting something to one of the threads....
And BAM lifetime ban no warnings nothing.
Not a very friendly website i don't recall it being this snobby in the 80s yea you got banned but for a period of time or even got a warning.
Just shows when you give some people power how they let it go to their heads.
Ill sell all the Pistorm32s i want.... :)

Unfortunately, there has been an increase in SPAM activity recently on EAB. If you created a new account and your first few posts were adverts or you posted adverts in the wrong sub-forum you would likely be identified as spammer and instantly banned.

If you can provide the EAB user name, then I will try to find out if this was the reason for the ban in this particlar case.     
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:26:57 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline LaserBack

• Show only replies by LaserBack
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »
in EAB the authoritarianism reigns, is moderated by 3 or 4 nerds in which in real life they cannot even command their dog
is pathetic

such place has gone from being the best Amiga forum from to being a place where all the morons come together to ask the most stupid question or to open the most stupid threads or discuss the most idiotic point

also there are lot of idiotic members which are very agrgessive and selfish but supported by moderators for a unknown reason
I have been banned for no reason several times until I created a new member where I remain in silence otherwise I'm sure I end up banned

The only person which is fantastic is RCK but he is like God, he is very away of the diary bullshit of the forum

Offline miggyretro

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 11:05:52 PM »
Dude. I also got banned from EAB for just joining! I was getting harassed by member RetropassionUK for some reason or another. After he started to troll me, to sending Private messages about who he thought I was. I put  in a report to the admins about it. Next thing I know I get perma-Banned from the Forum!
No reason whatsoever. My guess is that RetropassionUK must be giving out freebies to the mods or something? If he don’t L8rs your name he gets his way. Dodgy place that EAB….. What gets me, is they are aimed at Amiga enthusiasts and keeping people who are Amiga Fans. Yet they just like kicking people off their forums….

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
@miggyretro

IIRC the banned member Jpor was actively trolling against RetropassionUK. Jpor created multiple EAB accounts to continue this activity and one of those accounts was using the miggyretro alias.

So, it appears that you selected the wrong user name at just the wrong time.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:46:55 AM by SpeedGeek »

Offline miggyretro

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
Sooooo… Because I used the wrong Username. Then gets harassed by one of your members both on the forum and PM. I then report that to the admins. I get Banned? Very unreasonable logic there. Looks to me you lot have favouritism towards RetropassionUK as that company gives you lot money it seems!
Not a good way of keeping those who want to help out in the Amiga community… Hope it’s worth it?

Oh well.  >:(

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 09:02:42 PM »
I've posted a thread on EAB to bring this matter to the Global mods attention.
I don't know if the account would be be unbanned or if you will need to create an account with a different user name. 

The money from member contributions goes directly to RCK and it's used to pay for web hosting services and site maintenance. RCK probably does not even know about the issue or the reason why you were banned.   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:52:40 PM by SpeedGeek »

Offline miggyretro

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 01, 2023, 09:10:13 PM »
I’ll think about….

Doesn’t give me confidence that if I join again that RetropassionUK doesn’t try and get me banned again for nothing! Or to be Trolled by them and his user fan base  :-[