Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ebay warning  (Read 1449 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: ebay warning
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 17, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
Huh, I thought COD had gone away in the '90s.  Looks like some shippers still offer it.  Nice!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:15 AM »
Oh boy! Ive sold a few items outside of e-bay once or twice at a lower price, because I could subtract e-bays cut. But I delivered the goods of course.

Alot of scalpers on e-bay though; Rare, Collectible 1980's Nappy! Unused and still in packaging! :laugh1:

Offline mechy

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 11:49:35 PM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;781899
do not  deal with a user  called  enki.audio  ..after  i offered  a buy it now price  which he accepted  on ebay  for a used  060 accelerator  i have recieved nothing but excuses  ..im out  500.00  cash  here  ..ive  reported  him to ebay  but i doubt ill get my cash back as i couldnt apply the  buy it now  button  and  he  assured  me it was  mine  but the auction continued  untill it ended  on 475.00  ..i dealt  in good faith ..this  guy is a scammer  ..if by chance  he is a member here under another name  know i had to save  to afford that  ..hope  ur  proud  of  yourself...never had a bad  deal on ebay before  this....stupid  me i guess  ..i was  gullilble  and  had  good intentions..something  this  guy  doesnt  understand..

bank should be able to track him via the transfer if he hasn't closed the account and ran.

But never pay with cash,western union,or such. a credit card is the best method because even if paypal drops the ball, credit card companies(decent ones) usually offer buyer protection. You can call them and have your money back by the next day in most cases and they will go after the theif. Luckily i only had to test this once and i was happy to get my money back.

ChuckT

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;781899
do not  deal with a user  called  enki.audio  ..after  i offered  a buy it now price  which he accepted  on ebay  for a used  060 accelerator  i have recieved nothing but excuses  ..im out  500.00  cash  here  ..ive  reported  him to ebay  but i doubt ill get my cash back as i couldnt apply the  buy it now  button  and  he  assured  me it was  mine  but the auction continued  untill it ended  on 475.00  ..i dealt  in good faith ..this  guy is a scammer  ..if by chance  he is a member here under another name  know i had to save  to afford that  ..hope  ur  proud  of  yourself...never had a bad  deal on ebay before  this....stupid  me i guess  ..i was  gullilble  and  had  good intentions..something  this  guy  doesnt  understand..

If you choose to conduct business outside of Ebay, there is no way they can enforce or witness transactions.

I've had a seller on Amazon who said she could replace my order if I withdrew my claim and the name of the game is to not pay anything so I chose to get an Amazon gift card instead of withdraw my claim because once you do something like that, it makes it look as though they didn't do anything wrong.

I had another user sell me a tablet on Ebay.  It worked good enough but didn't do a lot of things I wanted so I got an email outside of ebay telling me if I shipped it back, they would fix it.  I googled them and found out it was a scam.  Once you mail the tablet back to them, they don't replace it and they keep it.  Anything done outside of ebay is not witnessed and ebay isn't going to go across all fifty states or countries in the world and enforce what they can't.

Our police department agreed to be a meeting place in the lobby for people and buying off of craig's list because of all the robberies reported in the news.  The lobby and parking lot is under 24 hour surveillance from video cameras.  

There is no such thing as a free lunch.  If you think that strangers are going to care more about you than your mom and dad, it is not going to happen.

I suggest you work off of the emails because the authorities won't act off of anything you can't prove.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:09:37 AM by ChuckT »

Offline danbeaver

Amibay and ebay warning
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:42 AM »
► 0:06► 0:06

http://www.[B]you[/B]tube.com/watch?v=mQHSXwHpKpk

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »
To be honest you traded out side of the Ebay auction which is a breach of Ebay rules. Also a little nuts to be doing so if the auction is still running, why would you do that? Especially with that much money, I'm extremely paranoid with anything over $100.

Ebay can protect you if you follow the auction rules and you used a buy it now or won the auction.

Sellers can end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the highest bidder. So they could have done that if buy it now was not available.

The person who won the auction can file a complaint and will most likely get his money back however the auction isn't a month old yet, they have to raise a complaint within the 45 days. So I usually wait until day 44 and lodge the complaint.

You could report him to Ebay for the breach. They may suspend the sellers account if the winner of the auction doesn't receive their item, but depends on their feedback.

Going by the information on Ebay the auction finished on the 24th of December, Some of their other latest feedback before that auction is about not responding. I would have run the other way.

Read feedback :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-1200-Accelerator-Apollo-1260-68060-A1260-060-/231428967798

If you had used Paypal you could try raising a dispute that you didn't receive the goods and they will go into bat for you. Although it has to be within 45 days. Which has worked for me a couple of times.

Ebay also has a 45 time frame for complaints.

If you had used a credit card you can also get your money back pretty easily. Either through your bank or other options. But I wouldn't be giving my credit card details to anyone, hence the use of Paypal.

You could explain the situation to Ebay even though you both breached the rules and see if you can obtain there contact details. As you paid by direct deposit you could try going through your bank, however you authorized the payment so the only other option (I assume you are both in Aussie) is to go through small claims court if you can get the correct contact details. Would be a long battle but a high chance of getting your money back.

I haven't had an issue with Amibay but I stick to well known sellers, especially people that post on the forums a lot. There are some really good people on that website and the rules there are designed to help protect you. But with all things there are bad people who lack morals etc that try and ruin a good thing.

Quote from Ebay:

"Policy overview

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
Couple of things...
COD is useless most times because they don't allow you to open the package before signing you received it. And they only give it to you after you paid...

To the original poster: Like someone else said you can try to get his address from the bank account nr. The procedure might depend from country to country or bank but it is possible..

I've had good and bad experiences buying outside eBay. The worst one was an A4000T from Palma de Mayorca in Spain around 1998. It was shipped and we agreed to send it back due to a problem on the parallel port. Then they kept it and the money. Eventhough it was a bit risky I never thought they'd do that, because it was a retail comptuer store with physical presence and the serial nr. was on the invoice. But they went bankrupt and the store was too far away. I must've spent around 150€ just in calls...
The best one was also from Spain, a guy in the Galiza area, HiFi sound gear not Amiga related. I risked and item was almost like new, very very well packed and he even offered a few goodies, super honest...

It's best not to risk though, the scamers are counting on our temptations :)...
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

ChuckT

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
Quote from: Jose;781964
Couple of things...
COD is useless most times because they don't allow you to open the package before signing you received it. And they only give it to you after you paid...

To the original poster: Like someone else said you can try to get his address from the bank account nr. The procedure might depend from country to country or bank but it is possible..

I've had good and bad experiences buying outside eBay. The worst one was an A4000T from Palma de Mayorca in Spain around 1998. It was shipped and we agreed to send it back due to a problem on the parallel port. Then they kept it and the money. Eventhough it was a bit risky I never thought they'd do that, because it was a retail comptuer store with physical presence and the serial nr. was on the invoice. But they went bankrupt and the store was too far away. I must've spent around 150€ just in calls...
The best one was also from Spain, a guy in the Galiza area, HiFi sound gear not Amiga related. I risked and item was almost like new, very very well packed and he even offered a few goodies, super honest...

It's best not to risk though, the scamers are counting on our temptations :)...

I bought a disk drive from a company advertising in RUN magazine.
I paid with check.
They sent me a faulty disk drive.
I returned it and they sent me another faulty disk drive.
Unless you use a credit card, you have little recourse because their name of the game is not to pay.

The bottom line is we all need to learn about contracts, mail fraud and protections and get it from a consumer advisory or public advocate.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
The best advice in this case is stick to the Ebay rules and you'll be fine :) Read their feedback on top of this, you can soon spot people not to deal with and the frauds.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Dale

• Show only replies by Dale
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »
The most Ebay will do in this case is turn off his account, and possibly yours for not following Ebay policy.   If it were me, I would not expect Ebay to do anything, you worked outside the system. You need to go to the bank and work with them.  Let them know you were scammed by the guy.  You may want to turn it into the police as well and get a case going.  Then the bank can at least place a hold on his account possibly if there is anything in there.    I hope people read your post and not do things like that.  Ebay is relatively safe if you follow their policy's but once you step outside that they will normally not help you much.