Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $20,000 worth of Amigas for sale  (Read 6092 times)

Description:

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
Re: $20,000 worth of Amigas for sale
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 26, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
my best wishes to the seller and all the best ! (honestly, not joking !)

the car I bought in 1995 was £8,000 (not sure whats that in todays moneys), but (if I still had it) ... I would happily sell it to you for £150 ?
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
Quote from: Lando;690590
When I read the title of this thread I thought somebody had uncovered a stash of about 50 A4000's in a storeroom somewhere.

I don't think depreciation was taken into account somehow.

Yeah; now scroll down to the bottom of the post where he's asking $1500 for the whole shebang.  The MSRP on that stuff was $20k when it was new.  He's asking for 8% of that.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 12:10:16 AM »
I would really like to buy the IMAGE-FX VIDEO TUTORIAL VOL. 1-3 Videotape for IMAGE-FX 2.1.

I will even pay the original price to you of $59.95 if it is the Catalyzer set of videos.

(Note: If ANYONE has the Catalyzer set of videos, I'd be interested in buying them)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:29:57 AM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »
OP has one post, probably not real....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline The CraftsmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by The Craftsman
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »
Hi all. Thank you for all your feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Yes, that was my first post. I do realize that no one knows me here.
I understand that.
I do intend to take some pictures real soon & get them up here. They're not going to be real pretty pictures because I'm going to just take the pictures as they are still in place.

I know some people who are selling something go to a lot of time & effort to take all kinds of pics & write a really good blurb. I apologize for not doing that. I'm just a really busy guy.

Anyway, this is a real deal. I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I just don't want these anymore.
I should have sold them a long long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) when I first realized which direction I was going in. When they were worth more.

I guess that I should apologize for not being active in the Amiga world anymore. BUT, when you need to do 3D modeling, CAD, Animation, Rendering, CNC machine code generation, Electronics simulation, PIC chip programming, etc., how can you even come close to a 3.8 GHz 8 core i7?

Yes, I guess I'm a 'traitor' now.

But I'm a Propmaker for the Motion Picture Industry and my work requires me to be able to interact with the rest of the Intel-chip-based world, and, until very recently at least, Amigas can't.

And when was the last time anyone saw Rhino, Solidworks, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Modo, Zbrush, 3DS Max, Maya, etc, etc. ported over to run on a real Amiga?

Don't get me wrong, I really thought the Amiga was something back when I bought them.
I mean, that's why I went out and spent $20,000.00 on them!

BUT, does everyone remember when Intel developed the Pentium & AMD developed similar technologies that basically left the Amiga sucking their exhaust as they watched the Amiga disappear in their rear view mirrors?

I just couldn't wait around for the Amiga to catch up.
I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. Work came first.

So now I have a room filled with Amiga stuff that I don't want anymore.
In fact, I have not been able to use that room for anything else for all this time. Dumb Huh. Hey, I'll admit that.

So anyway, I finally decided that I am going to get rid of all this stuff. Soon. Real soon.
If I can't sell it, I'll donate it somewhere locally for a tax writeoff, or, as a last resort, throw them in a dumpster and be done with it.

Blasphemy! Sinner! What do you mean? Throw them away!?

I'll tell you right now; I do not intend to spend a lot of time trying to get rid of them.
I just don't have the time or energy to devote to a big selling campaign.
I'm a busy guy.

I see that someone mentioned about checking the battery area on the motherboard. I assume that they are concerned about corrosion.
I didn't think about that. However, I am not going to do anything to them.
I can't even remember how to use them anymore!
I haven't turned them on for about 16 years! They have been left plugged in for all that time though.

I make my own PCBs & I do custom electronics for movie sfx. So, if there is a small amount of damage due to corrosion, it probably should not be that hard to repair, even for a normal person handy with a soldering station.

They worked before, they should work now.

I would like to be able to unload these in 1 sale. I don't have the time to spend trying to part them out.
Someone else who has more time to spare than me could buy them & resell them separately.
I'll bet they would be able to charge a fair price & still make a real nice profit!

That editing VCR is a prosumer VCR. That's the best one there is before you get into the professional line of VCRs. It was a $1500 VCR on sale for $979! That VCR was used for 1 project (about 25 hrs worth of editing)!
The most you might have to do to it is replace a couple of belts.

So, if you feel like taking a small chance, here it is.

The first $1200 gets them. That's 6 cents on the dollar. And the buyer pays for all the shipping & insurance costs.

If I can't sell them I'll find some other way to get rid of them.

Think about it. I'll get some pictures up here real soon (maybe tonight).

So check back please.
Thank you all.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 01:13:10 AM »
Hey Magnetic.

I saw your PM. Thank you. You said you're in LA but the # you gave me to call was a New York area code. I called & left you a message anyway. Haven't heard back yet. Could it have been a typo maybe? Would you please send me another PM with your # again?

Thanks.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:44 AM »
Quote from: The Craftsman;691127
I make my own PCBs & I do custom electronics for movie sfx. So, if there is a small amount of damage due to corrosion, it probably should not be that hard to repair, even for a normal person handy with a soldering station.

As you say, a small amount of corrosion isn't always an issue (My eBay A3000 and A4000 had leaking battereis when I got them which clean up OK).  My A2000 still has the original non-leaking battery.

However, there are some completely trashed motherboards out there too.

Hopefully your are still OK.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
Amiga Pictures.

It appears that I've been lucky.
Both motherboards on the Amiga 2000 & the Amiga 4000 look to be OK.
There is no corrosion of the motherboards.
Except for 1 very tiny area on the A4000 that might not have even affected 1 trace. I'll show you later.

Here are 2 pics of the A2000 motherboard battery area. While the battery itself shows a small amount of corrosion on 1 end, the motherboard itself has no corrosion whatsoever.
[ATTACH]2105[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2106[/ATTACH]

Here are 2 pics of the A4000 motherboard battery area. While the battery itself shows some corrosion, the motherboard itself has no corrosion to speak of except for that 1 very tiny area on that 1 trace. It may not have actually eaten through the resist yet, it may just be sitting on top with no damage at all. Thats what it looks like by eye.
[ATTACH]2107[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2108[/ATTACH]

It seems there is a limit to the # of images I can attach to 1 post.
I'll have to break this into 3 posts I guess.
Next one coming right up.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:14 PM »
Amiga pictures part 2 of 3.

Here are pics of the A2000 with Video Toaster & Studio16 inside.
And the A4000 with Video Toaster & Personal Animation Recorder inside.
[ATTACH]2110[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2111[/ATTACH]

Here are 2 pics of most of the original software boxes.
[ATTACH]2112[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2113[/ATTACH]

Posting the next (last) part...

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
Amiga pics part 3 of 3.

Here is a pic of the original hardware boxes.
[ATTACH]2114[/ATTACH]

Here are 3 pics of the editing VCR.
By the way, it STILL works fine.
[ATTACH]2117[/ATTACH]

This is a sweet machine, and the remote control is simply amazing.
[ATTACH]2115[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2116[/ATTACH]

I never thought about the batteries. But when it was mentioned, I felt it was my duty to at least make sure the motherboards were not trashed. I admit that I feel better now. I wouldn't want to sell someone some junk.

So, the 2 Amiga motherboards look OK ( except for MAYBE 1 trace on the A4000). Maybe not even that one.
They were both remarkably clean inside.
Not a surprise really since they were not used a whole heck of a lot.

I hope the pictures are clear enough.
So... $1200 for everything.
And let me say again, There is a LOT of stuff!
Did I mention that there is a LOT of stuff! Read the first post.

Thank you all.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
The A2000 is actually really bad!:nervous:

If you look at the picture you see the shinny "ring" on the motherbaord around the battery.  THAT IS ALL BATTERY ACID LEAKING!!!  You'll want to snip that puppy out of there post hast!

Quote from: The Craftsman;691262
Amiga Pictures.

It appears that I've been lucky.
Both motherboards on the Amiga 2000 & the Amiga 4000 look to be OK.
There is no corrosion of the motherboards.
Except for 1 very tiny area on the A4000 that might not have even affected 1 trace. I'll show you later.

Here are 2 pics of the A2000 motherboard battery area. While the battery itself shows a small amount of corrosion on 1 end, the motherboard itself has no corrosion whatsoever.
[ATTACH]2105[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2106[/ATTACH]

Here are 2 pics of the A4000 motherboard battery area. While the battery itself shows some corrosion, the motherboard itself has no corrosion to speak of except for that 1 very tiny area on that 1 trace. It may not have actually eaten through the resist yet, it may just be sitting on top with no damage at all. Thats what it looks like by eye.
[ATTACH]2107[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2108[/ATTACH]

It seems there is a limit to the # of images I can attach to 1 post.
I'll have to break this into 3 posts I guess.
Next one coming right up.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
Quote from: The Craftsman;691265

Here are 3 pics of the editing VCR.
By the way, it STILL works fine.
[ATTACH]2117[/ATTACH]

This is a sweet machine, and the remote control is simply amazing.
[ATTACH]2115[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2116[/ATTACH]

I never thought about the batteries. But when it was mentioned, I felt it was my duty to at least make sure the motherboards were not trashed. I admit that I feel better now. I wouldn't want to sell someone some junk.

The editing VCR is cool. Does it have a built in TBC? I have a very high end consumer s-video VCR that has some sort of TBC but it is not good enough for the toaster. I like old gear that pushes the technology of the time to its limit.

I would clip off the batteries and clean up the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol and then turn the Amigas on to see if there are motherboard issues.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

Hi Everyone. I am announcing that all my Amiga gear has been sold!

Yes, it's gone! All at once.

I want to thank everyone for their responses & their help. I appreciate that.

So good luck, and thank you again.