Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *New* Kick Start ROM Switcher V2.0 @ AUD$28 each!  (Read 3495 times)

Description:

Offline 1985BMWK75Topic starter

• Show only replies by 1985BMWK75
    • http://www.amigamaniac.com/
Re: KSRS V2.0 is a success! Now taking pre-orders...
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 26, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Ok, I have been told that my PCB's for KSRS V2.0 are scheduled to ship on October 9. They are being sent by DHL, so I expect to have them in stock around October 13 :-D

It's getting close now! :-D

Nathan

Offline Beast96GT

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »
Do you think that the kickstart switcher can be used with mrmkl's ide adapter that uses an A600 Kickstart?

IDE Adapter

It would be great to switch back and forth from a 1.3 to the 3.1..  What do you think?

Offline Gavilan

• Show only replies by Gavilan
    • http://coming soon....
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Dear Nathan: count me in with 4 of the KSRS for my and my fellow Argentinian amigans!!

Cheers! and congrats for your amazing work!!!
C= & Amiga user & abuser since 1986
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 03:09:13 AM »
@Beast96GT

It should work just fine (in theory), but when you switch over to KS 1.3, I believe you would lose the ability to use the HD/CF card , if that hardware relies on the KS 2.04 ROM as the "driver" etc? Unless of course you have an add-on HD expansion on an A500, like the GVP Impact Series II SCSI controller, or AlfaData AlfaPower IDE controller (I have both on my A500, and have tested KSRS V2.0 prototype with these without issue). And of course, with these controllers, you can use them with KS 1.3. Is the KS ROM in the socket on the A500MB? If yes, then you would be able to switch ROMS with KSRS V2.0 :-)

The same is true if you use my KSRS V2.0 on an A600. If you switch to the KS 1.3 ROM, you will not be able to use the HD, as that feature is not supported on the KS 1.3 ROM itself. You would also lose PMCIA card functionality. This has nothing to do with my KSRS V2.0, it's the ROM.

Anyhow, I only had a quick look at the hardware you mentioned, so I don't have a proper understanding of how it works, and what it does. If anyone notices I have made an error here, please post a correction ;-)

Nathan

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
Hi all,

I believe that I will be receiving my 50 KSRS V2.0 PCB's a lot sooner than expected :-) Apparently, they were sent out today via DHL, so it's possible that I could have them by this Friday (3rd October). Otherwise, early next week.

Nathan

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »
Count me to one for my 500!!
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi all,

I received my KSRS V2.0 PCB's today :-) Needless to say, I dropped what I was doing, and rushed upstairs to assemble one for myself. Although the prototype worked 100% fine, I just needed to test the "final" PCB version...it worked as it should :-D

The ribbon cable is 8.5cm long for my A500 Rev 6A MB. It would be even shorter for an A600 and the big box Amiga models. I have a top-shield and keyboard on the way to me for my A600 MB. I have a case for it too now. If I buy a floppy drive for it, I will have a "complete" A600 :-D Once I have the top-shield, I will be able to comment on how and if my KSRS V1.0 & V2.0 fit in a stock A600 case.

I was thinking about how switching is achieved on my KSRS V2.0, and perhaps it will not be compatible with CDTV. One of the IC's relies on a signal from the ROM socket going from low to high. This occurs when you reset the Amiga (CTRL+A+A). I'm hoping it will work on my A600 - I'll test when I get the KB. I don't have every 16-Bit Amiga model to take measurements from, but I am guessing (hoping) that the ROM socket behaves the same across all models when the  CTRL+A+A keys are held. I don't see why it wouldn't, except maybe in the case of the CDTV. Does it come with a KB? It may be fine across all the models I said it would be compatible with before. If it isn't, just send it back for a refund. I just thought of this the other day, and thought I would share my thoughts - I may be worried about nothing, as usual :-S

On the photo of the front, I have blacked out the IC information. I don't want to give anything away. I know that once someone buys one, they can reverse engineer it, if they want to copy it. Unless of course I remove the text on the IC's with solvent/acetone, but maybe that it being too paranoid? *lol* That would certainly make reverse engineering it very tricky :-P It is more than likely that no one would even bother to copy my KSRS V2.0, as there is no real money to be made. I just did it because I could, and electronics has been a hobby of mine for a while.

You will notice on the rear of the PCB, I have used the silkscreen layer to promote other people's Amiga related websites. Why not. AmiBay.com is there, and classicamiga.com is at the top, because Harrison is a good bloke, and has been good to me. Cheers mate ;-)

There are 49 KSRS V2.0 PCB's left (No.1 was for me), and I have components in stock to populate them all. A600 users, I would prefer not to have any orders come in until I have my A600 KB and top-shield. But, I can't force you to wait. A500 users (Rev 6A especially), you have nothing to worry about, KSRS V2.0 was designed, built around, and tested on my A500 Rev 6A MB ;-) I have a guy in the States that will test it on his accelerated A2000 for me, so that should be interesting.

Nathan

P.S. The photos aren't the best, it was night time when I took them. I'll post better ones as I take them.

P.P.S. Photo's coming soon - when they appear in the images section. Photo's are already on my AmiBay post.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
I see no mention of A1200, does it not work with the A1200.  If not Just wondering from an interested point of view why not ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »
@JJ

Hello my Welsh friend (unless you are not Welsh, and you just live there :-S). He he, I am from the state of New South Wales...

To save some typing, here is an extract from a PM sent to a previous friendly customer from the UK:

"In regards to both versions of my Kick Start ROM switchers, they will only work on the 16-Bit Amiga's. They are simple, as they only have one ROM socket, and one ROM. The 32-Bit models have two ROM sockets, and two ROMS - although they act as one chip in a way - at least that is how it appears to the user. I have no idea how they work together at this stage. I don't have an A1200 MB to experiment with and take readings from, so I wont be bringing out a ROM switcher for the A1200/32-Bit models as far as I know. Would there even be interest in a KSRS for an A1200?"

If anyone wants to sell me a very cheap working A1200 MB with ROMS, that would be good. I would also need the KB and any plastic thingy to connect it to the MB. Or even a "loan" of one would be nice. Does anyone need a ROM switcher for the A1200? I thought they only came with 3.0 and 3.1 ROMS. Also the chipset is different (AGA etc), so even if you switched over to A 1.3 ROM, you may still not be able to play the old games etc. I believe there are excellent programs out there such as WHDLoad to get around this. I just can't really see a use for a ROM switcher for an A1200. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Your knowledgeable comments would be much appreciated ;-)

@all

My KSRS V2.0 will be selling for AUD$30 per unit. I just thought that I should make that clear, if you don't want to go through the whole thread to find that out.

Check out the photo's in the General user photos section. I will add better ones when I take them.

Nathan

P.S. If you want a KSRS V2.0 (or KSRS V1.0), just PM me ;-)

Offline Eclipse

• Show only replies by Eclipse
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 03:00:14 AM »
There would be massive interest for a 1200 version as it's probably the most used Amiga for gaming now.
I'm uncertain and I could be wrong (Alex will say if I am) but I think some people have managed to put the A1200 ROM into one IC.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
Hi all,

My KSRS V2.0 works great, except in the A600 with a original 1.3 ROM. I'll be testing it again in my A600 when I get that blank 120ns ROM. It works fine with the original 2.0x ROM and a 3.1 ROM.

On my A500, it works 100% with any ROM combination. The other 16-Bit models, such as the A2000 are very similar to the A500, so I'm guessing KSRS V2.0 will be fine in them with any ROM combination too.

If you want one, just PM, or e-mail me with the quantity you want, and the country it is going too, so I can calculate postage before sending you a PayPal invoice.

Thanks,

Nathan

P.S. Remember that you get a lifetime warranty. Also if it doesn't work on you model of Amiga, you can send it back for a full  refund of the purchase price (AUD$30).

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »
Hi All,

My KSRS V2.0 is on my website now. There is an updated photo on there, as well as pricing etc (which is the same).

Nathan

*New* Kick Start ROM Switcher V2.0 @ AUD$30 each!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 05:53:34 AM »
Hi all,

KSRS V2.0 is compatible with Amiga 2000's :-D I just heard back from a very nice chap in the U.S., that bought one just to test for me on his accelerated A2000! How nice is that! He has a V1.0, so he didn't really need it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible with the other Amiga's, where the ROMS are the same/pin compatible - just different data on them.

Just to recap, it is 100% compatible with A500, with any ROM combo. On an A600, it works fine, but not with a 1.3 ROM for some odd reason. I have some ideas to try when I find the time. It works in an A2000, and an accelerated one at that - tested with KS 1.3, 2.04 and 3.1.

Nathan

P.S. I had an odd thought - maybe KSRS V1.0 is compatible with A1200. Plug one into each ROM socket (so two switchers), and make sure both toggle switches are in the same position. Maybe even the KSRS V2.0. ROM 1 is the default ROM selected on power up, so you wouldn't even have to worry about the toggle switches selecting the same ROMS. Is anyone crazy enough to try this? :-D Maybe it's time I got myself an A1200 MB...

Re: *New* Kick Start ROM Switcher V2.0 @ AUD$28 each!
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 05:12:03 AM »
Hi all,

Just in case you didn't notice, I have dropped the price of KSRS V2.0 from AUD$30 to AUD$28 ;-)

Nathan