Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cyberus whinging about ebay again....  (Read 2367 times)

Description:

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Cyberus whinging about ebay again....
« on: September 12, 2004, 04:09:11 PM »
This time about feedback - what's the point in the feedback system? I want to leave a -ve feedback, but I know the c**t will just leave a revenge feedback, blotting my record.
Even though anything he might say would be libellous, seeing as I sent a cheque by first class post the Monday after the auction ended (on a Sunday) - the quickest I could possibly do so.
So I put the question - what's the point in having the feedback system if you're afraid to leave -ve feedback?
I like Amigas

Re: Cyberus whinging about ebay again....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 04:17:17 PM »
@Cyberus,

I understand exactly what you're saying and have never really bothered with the feedback system.  

Yeah, exactly what matters is having 1000 feedbacks saying the exact same thing;

"A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ seller"

Personally speaking?  There is no way for it to work out, and in truth eBay really doesn't care at all.  They've already got their money, so why should it matter to them?  The feedback system is just a way for eBay to provide some strange and odd -- if not misleading -- sense of "security" to end-users on their transactions.  Just accept that if you have something bad to say, someone's going to say something bad about you and move on.

Wayne

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »
I'd leave negative feedback regardless of what may happen.  because then you can post a followup I believe.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 06:03:52 PM »
Yeah it is flawed but it does work to a certain extent.  If the transaction was positive it works great!!, if there was a problem the feedback system does not work.  Like you said, if you are unhappy and leave a Neg they can retaliate and leave you one.  I have had a few problems too.  I once bid on a item and on the 3rd day after I won I got a negative for non payment.  When I win a auction I usually wait to get a email from the seller, and or I may email the seller at this time if I don't hear anything.  This was crap so I left a retaliatory as this was not fair.  Another time I got one with no communication about the buyer being unhappy or anything, this is also crap.  So I left one as well, to reflect my experience with the person.  This is where the system is flawed.  If the terms were not met or persons did not try to resolve then appropriate feedback should be left, and most people would probably not leave retaliatory but it is not guaranteed.  There are some that would always leave negative I guess.  I myself would not leave retaliatory unless I was not given an opportunity to follow through or make things right.  Communication is key and most people must be too stupid to get it.  Welcome to ebay!
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:13:56 PM »
I agree with what you said about eBay not caring after seeing the doumentary about eBay a few months ago its blatantly obviouse they dont care a jot, only about PROFIT.

As oner seller said to me "Yes go and leave me a negative who cares, report me to eBay what do you think they will do me to apart from nothing"
The seller knows very well that he is right eBay wont do a damn thing. :-?
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 10:06:40 PM »
I think it is always worth leaving a negative after a problem.  I see your point about retaliation but as TheMagicM said, there is the facility to make follow up comments.  Whilst they may seem like a waste of time, if you had a very good record with just 1 or 2 -ve's, then I think people do check up and will be more likely to believe your responses.

e-Bay can be hugely fustrating but ultimately works reasonably well considering the number of users to be satisfied.  Of course it is not perfect but it needs people to stand firm for it to have any chance of working.  Long time users understand the pitfalls and will be able to spot those who just issue -ve's in retaliation and also spot those whose reputation has been unfairly tarnished.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 10:41:03 PM »
Yeah, it's usually obvious from carefull reading of negative feedbacks as to what the 'real' ones are.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 11:03:26 PM »
The best thing to do in this case is to wait until the last day you can leave feedback and then post the negative.  Hopefully the seller won't be quick enough on the draw to fire back a un-earned negative.

I got my only negative from a seller that stole my $$$.  This shows you how much eBay favors the sellers.  I've given 4-5 negatives on my 200 or so transactions.  All were "earned" by the sellers.  When I sell, I post positive feedback when I recieve payment.  I think eBay could change it so the seller feedback deadline is 30 days, and the buyer is 45 days.  That way there is no chance for a retalitary negative.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 11:35:52 PM »
Well I got my only negative from a buyer, so Id say the feedback deadline idea is not good.

The buyer hesitated, didn't reply to emails or answer the phone then 3 weeks later sent me payment, without the p&p costs. I stumped up for p&p just to get it done and dusted and left them a neutral saying they had poor communication. In return I got a negative saying I was a fraud.

You just have to live with the nobs unfortunately   :-(
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 11:46:16 PM »
What is the reason for wanting to leave a negative?

If it's a valid reason, leave the negative and file a complaint with eBay. eBay most certainly will act against a seller who they get constant complaint about. If it's a single complaint by one person, they won't. Also, before I buy anything from anyone on eBay I look over their feedback. I constantly steer clear of sellers with a -pattern- of certain negative feedback. It's easy to tell. Retalitory negative feedback is also easy to see on both sellers and buyers.

Go for it. If he retailates, report it. you may end up with a negative strike against you, but it's the right thing to do.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:17:42 AM »
Your right ive left positive feedback for a few items that are not as good as they were described .because i dont wount bas feedback.

and if you take paypal as payment you get screwed when they decide to pay out on a fraudulent claim, a mate of mine has been screwed by paypal and they keep threatening him with court to get money they paid out to the buyer who has stolen components that were fitted to the pc he sold .

:-?
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Plaz

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 01:56:30 AM »
I've only left one neg long ago with no reprisal from the bad seller. Since then I have left many neutrals describing good and bad points of the transaction. I've never been revenged on neutrals, but hopefully it gives the next bidder second thoughs or makes them take extra steps to try and protect themselfs. A bad ebayer may slam you, but if enough different people neg that person, eventually their bad feedback will scare off carefull merchants. I've done many transactions with people who have obviously had revenge feedbacks in thier rating. They stand out as revenge as 100 other transactions get A+ ratings. Good ebayers, and careful ones like me, won't ditch your sale just because one or two nasty people slam you. Of course in the end it's always buyer beware. As a seller I always say "Item shipped when payment is cleared". That's only a problem for someone who's looking to rip me off. If you're a buyer, read the description carefully. If info is sparse, never assume anything and ask lots of questions. If the seller doesn't answer, gives contrary or suspious info, or gets annoyed with all your questions, move on. It's not worth risking your cash. Oh and BTW, the one person I neged I also helped get banned from ebay. Though Ebay assured me they could keep the person from using ebay again based on personal information, I have my doubts. But it made me feel a bit better at the time.

Good luck
Plaz
(Content Ebayer for almost 6 years)