Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ya suppose this might be illegal?  (Read 1016 times)

Description:

Offline corsavertTopic starter

• Show only replies by corsavert
Ya suppose this might be illegal?
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:06:32 AM »
DVD with "Every piece of software ever released for Amiga"..... hmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3545&item=8130201685&rd=1
A1200/MB1230-50Mhz/128MB/80GB/3c589/Dataflyer SCSI+/OverdriveCD/SCSI CD/Diamondscan

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Ya suppose this might be illegal?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:25:25 AM »
Definitely does not sound very legal.. I really think it is wrong to sell pirated games/software for profits..
I personally dont mind abandonware being distributed for free though, as long as you cannot legally buy this games/software.
I am strictly against selling it, even though you might not be able to buy this games legally and this dvd description is right, then it also has newer games that still is possible to buy legally..

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:35:27 AM »
yes
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:38:35 AM »
I sent him a little note and he responded:

"I have checked the legality of the itam and I have found out copyright restrictions still apply to old games, so I have ended the listing. thanks"

Offline anakirob

• Show only replies by anakirob
    • http://www.systemofsound.org/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:38:57 AM »
I have actually looked into the possibility (every amiga game on DVD)....

....The amiga roms are copyright, you would need permission from amiga.com (gateway).
Most (if not all) amiga emulators are PD, but licence agreements may say you must do some stuff like pay the authors or send them your dvd.
Some commercial amiga games have been officially declaired PD or 'abandonware' (or the copyright holder went bust, and now nobody owns it), but most are still protected by copyright.
You could probably buy the licence of an entire software-house back catalogue for a very cheap price as nobody else was going to pay for the individual games anyway.

Hope this helps

Edited by Admin: Soliciting Piracy

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:11:21 AM »

Argo wrote:
I sent him a little note and he responded:

"I have checked the legality of the itam and I have found out copyright restrictions still apply to old games, so I have ended the listing. thanks"

Now to stop the spenceranne account and stop him from selling copied AmigaOS disks.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 04:18:40 AM »
> ...or the copyright holder went bust, and now nobody owns it...

Somebody still owns it until the copyright expires. Just because the company is no longer in business doesn't mean the copyright disappeared. If the company closed without debt but the person(s) involved just lost interest, he/she/they can still hold the copyright. A company folding to debt, one of the creditors may have it in a filing cabinet somewhere, or might have sold it to someone else who now sits on it to help recover part of said debt.

Dont count out old game copyrights that still fall into valid copyright timeframes. Look at the "retro" packs selling recent ports of legit pacman, space invaders, etc. and the things Tulip are doing with some old C=64 games. These guys bought the rights to these old games. They sat ona shelf or something for a long time, but have come back in truely legit copyright form, and the new owners won't take kindly to Ebay DVDs distracting their clientele.

Sure, some is truely abandoned. But that still gives no one the right to sell ripoffs on Ebay without the guy holding the copyright certificate's approval, regardless of his current intentions regarding future republications. He might not care now, but might get a good offer for the rights from someone like Tulip or the Atari retro pack guys.

Just to point out that the above quote isn't a good reason to assume you can sell ripped old games...
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline anakirob

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 02:44:31 AM »
First: An apology to www.amiga.org moderators, sorry, I used a bad choice of words @ the end of my post (won't happen again).

Second: In many countries you are allowed to obtain a copy of software which you already own (i.e. the original disk died so you made another copy from somewhere). I imagine if a DVD came with the [color=FF0000]original[/color] software, copy-protect routines and all, much amiga software (esp. games) would be unusable without having bought the original product at some point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating anything, just making a point.

Offline anakirob

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 02:51:19 AM »
>> ...or the copyright holder went bust, and now nobody owns it...
>Somebody still owns it until the copyright expires. Just because the company is no longer in business doesn't mean the copyright disappeared. If the company closed without debt but the person(s) involved just lost interest, he/she/they can still hold the copyright. A company folding to debt, one of the creditors may have it in a filing cabinet somewhere, or might have sold it to someone else who now sits on it to help recover part of said debt.

what if the copyright-holder died and left no will? what then?

Besides, who buys/sells old ripped games when you could always (I won't make that mistake twice.AR)?

heh. :lol:

BTW. Would amiga.com sell the licence to say WB1.3? I think they would, but then I don't know.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 05:01:27 AM »
In some countries it may be legal. When I was in college (1990-94), I was using this new internet thing and got to talking to a guy in Saudia Arabia. He was willing to get me anything Amiga related. As he stated, they don't have copy right laws so they don't matter. Apparently, alot of the software over there is pirated.
Alas, this site and myself are located in the US and are under the juristition of all US laws, including copyright, patent, etc. Just so your aware.

Offline anakirob

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 05:14:58 AM »
Not in thailand either.

I heard that sometimes the US drops bombs on south america and south east asia just to shut down big time pirates.

But that talk really belongs in the politics forum.

P.S. check feedback forum for an interesting piece of trivia on piracy