Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Amiga Syquest Disk - What to do?  (Read 1420 times)

Description: Help a clueless newb out!

Offline AndyFC

Re: My Amiga Syquest Disk - What to do?
« on: February 08, 2023, 05:42:07 PM »
But I'm still trying to find out if Amiga emulators will read external Amiga-formatted drives.    Anyone with a clue on that conundrum?

Hi there. I know that WinUAE can mount and use Amiga formatted media, even if the host operating system can't. I've done it with SD cards and others have done it with CF cards...so I'm making an assumption that it will also be possible with your Syquest disk too.

I've got a Powermac G4 MDD running both MorphOS (an Amiga-like Operating system) and MacOS Tiger. I've not had any success with Amiga emulation under old versions of MacOS, but I have just checked and I am able to read an SD Card formatted with an Amiga file system (PFS3) under MorphOS. You can find out more about MorphOS here: https://www.morphos-team.net. The download is free and without registering it you can use it for 30 minutes at a time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:43:52 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline AndyFC

Re: My Amiga Syquest Disk - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 07:46:38 PM »
So if I'm reading your message correctly, maybe I'll be able to run an Amiga emulator on the G4 Mac, and THAT would be able to read the Amiga format Syquest?

Yes, that's right, you MIGHT be able to. The problem is that the PowerPC macs are now so old that the emulators are not up to date. I've spent a little time looking into emulating an Amiga on PowerPC MacOS, but it looks challenging, especially when I can run MorphOS on the same system.

I'm assuming that the Mac's " dmg" disc image format isn't something the PC can read.   

I've not tried it myself but quickly did some research and it appears you can use 7-zip on Windows to extract .DMG files.

It's a shame you are so far away, if you were local this is the sort of challenge I'd happily spend a free day to try and resolve.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

The following users thanked this post: MrVotar