Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?  (Read 10295 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 22, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;820371
btw, 68k, or backward compatible 68k type softcore option is missing ;) would probably gather most votes anyway.

Trying to run OS4 on a 68K would be about as painful as running MUI4 or 5 on a  68K.
Vampire may soften that, but I'm not likely to give up OS3.X in favor of OS4 on legacy hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »
I don't get it. What's so great about AmigaOS? Amigas are certainly the best retro computers, hands down, and they're just awesome, but the OS? I just don't see what's so great about it.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:48 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;820434
I don't get it. What's so great about AmigaOS? Amigas are certainly the best retro computers, hands down, and they're just awesome, but the OS? I just don't see what's so great about it.

It's different. That's my main attraction anyway. It's very fun too.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;820378
Trying to run OS4 on a 68K would be about as painful as running MUI4 or 5 on a  68K.
Vampire may soften that, but I'm not likely to give up OS3.X in favor of OS4 on legacy hardware.

i agree. but nevertheless given that option, people might probably chosse it anyway;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;820378

It'd run a darn sight faster on UAE than the PPC build does though at least Jim. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2017, 03:25:19 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;820434

That's really not the point.

The OP isn't asking whether a 30-year-old operating system is segment-leading or if it's a viable replacement for other options.

The question is whether or not you would pay to have the ability to run the OS on another architecture. The "why" is immaterial.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 04:52:52 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820477
I repeat, "why is that the fault of Linux"?

Oh I get it....you want to be a pedant.

If you want any discussion about Linux limited to the kernel, then say so.   But a kernel is not an operating system.

If its not some amateurish log in screen (on its most popular distro BTW) its something else in the operating system that is a joke.

Or do you think users should now de-install the default log-in manager, install something that someone may have rolled in the bedroom and risks breaking the system? Because you know "Linux isn't Linux isn't Linux and can be any flavour you want" TM?

Another classic example of Linux wasting time people's time trying to get it to do RST* (Really Simple Things).  Like a login manager that actually makes sense by default..

Offline nicholas

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 05:09:34 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820481
Oh I get it....you want to be a pedant.

If you want any discussion about Linux limited to the kernel, then say so.   But a kernel is not an operating system.

If its not some amateurish log in screen (on its most popular distro BTW) its something else in the operating system that is a joke.

Or do you think users should now de-install the default log-in manager, install something that someone may have rolled in the bedroom and risks breaking the system? Because you know "Linux isn't Linux isn't Linux and can be any flavour you want" TM?

Another classic example of Linux wasting time people's time trying to get it to do RST* (Really Simple Things).  Like a login manager that actually makes sense by default..

If you can't even use correct words to mean what you want to say why on earth should anyone waste their time reading your twaddle?

As for your issue with MDM, my kids don't seem to have a problem with it but if they did they'd do what anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do and report it as an issue to the vendor's support dept and ask for it to be changed.

It's amazing the effect good genes and a proper upbringing have on a person's intelligence and ability to help themselves.

Please do go on making yourself look like a tit, it's hilarious.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 05:17:33 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;820483
If you can't even use correct words to mean what you want to say why on earth should anyone waste their time reading your twaddle?

As for your issue with MDM, my kids don't seem to have a problem with it but if they did they'd do what anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do and report it as an issue to the vendor's support dept and ask for it to be changed.

It's amazing the effect good genes and a proper upbringing have on a person's intelligence and ability to help themselves.

Please do go on making yourself look like a tit, it's hilarious.

pedant
noun
a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning

Colloquially known as a " nicholas".

Offline nicholas

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;820485
pedant
noun
a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning

Colloquially known as a " nicholas".

Fcukwitt.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
@nicholas

Give it a rest will you?
Your passive aggressive attitude is making you appear the very adjectives you're trying to label others with.
The site isn't here for your sole, frankly obnoxious amusement.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;820490
@nicholas

Give it a rest will you?
Your passive aggressive attitude is making you appear the very adjectives you're trying to label others with.
The site isn't here for your sole, frankly obnoxious amusement.

Nothing passive about it.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;820503
Thats the #1 reason I switched to Linux.  I was wasting so much time keeping windows updated and working.  Linux has saved me so much time and frustration over the years by not breaking something every other update like Windows does, by not getting infected with malware despite not running as administrator.  Just because one or two distros that try to be windows like have window like issues doesn't mean all of linux is like that.  Or to put it simply just use with slackware already :)

A bit of time is spent by the rasbian maintainers taking debian and stripping it down to make it run efficiently on the Pi (one of the reasons I ruin slackware-arm on mine is its already efficient) so thats why I think a Amiga/AROS could find a fit in the Arm world as its already a lightweight OS.

A Raspberry Pi 3 bundled with an exclusive Amiga branded case and OS4.1 for ARM hardware locked to the mac address or similar like MorphOS is would be a great product.

If marketed properly and priced correctly but that never happens in this market sadly.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
@thread

i've moved the off-topic linux discussions to a new thread per members' requests.  please move your linux-related discussion there.  further off-topic posts will be moved/deleted as needed.

also: there was a report about a post, and when i took a look i saw several posts with insults between two members. please remember such ad hominem attacks are contrary to the site terms of service and will result in a temporary ban if they continue.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;820435
It's different. That's my main attraction anyway. It's very fun too.
That's certainly a good point.

Quote from: ne_one;820471
That's really not the point.
It is for me. Why? Because 68k can do much better than AOS, and it can do it faster too. Instead of making something better (hahaha lololol)  they sell us software that's over 20 years old.