Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help to open-source SAS/C  (Read 4376 times)

Description:

Offline HaukeVBTopic starter

• Show only replies by HaukeVB
Help to open-source SAS/C
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »
Hi, does anybody have contact information for SAS, that could help  release the source-code to the compiler (buyout or open-source)?
Or is  in contact with anybody who does?

Please help! :(
| A1500, 2630, Merlin, XCalibur, Nexus, Emplant, 2320...

Offline kamelito

Re: Help to open-source SAS/C
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
I ask about that somewhere else.
Try maybe to contact Jim Cooper, Steve Krueger, Douglas Walker they may know if it's possible.
They still work at SAS, they still have their compiler but it is used for internal project only so I guess it will never be open sourced.

Kamelito

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiga/comments/2nekbp/any_oldtime_amiga_users_from_19851990/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:12:08 PM by kamelito »

Offline olsen

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;817230
Try maybe to contact Jim Cooper, Steve Krueger, Douglas Walker they may know if it's possible.
They still work at SAS, they still have their compiler but it is used for internal project only so I guess it will never be open sourced.

Kamelito

https://www.reddit.com/r/amiga/comments/2nekbp/any_oldtime_amiga_users_from_19851990/

Right now I would settle for the option to license it for commercial use again. SAS/C is crucially important for the AmigaOS 2.x/3.x platform because it is the best-integrated 'C' development environment for it.

Code quality apparently leaves something to be desired still, but the alternatives are very scarce (who's got a working source level debugger and a profiler?).

Offline HaukeVBTopic starter

• Show only replies by HaukeVB
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;817230

Kamelito

Did you get any contact details?
| A1500, 2630, Merlin, XCalibur, Nexus, Emplant, 2320...

guest11527

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
Quote from: olsen;817233
Right now I would settle for the option to license it for commercial use again. SAS/C is crucially important for the AmigaOS 2.x/3.x platform because it is the best-integrated 'C' development environment for it.

Bingo. Asking for "open source" first might already scare decision makers within SAS/C, so I wouldn't go this route right now and would not set the priority on the license conditions too high.

The important part is not "open source or not", the important part is to get contacts to the decision makers within SAS/C, and *then* discuss potential options.

In the best possible case, they might be able to put a "price tag" on the source. Even getting it licensed again - as in "binaries for money" - would be tremendously helpful.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:49:32 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;817240
price tag

i doubt there is anyone left who could or would pay a "price tag" if there was any.

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »
I have an original version with manuals and disks. Its in switzerland though.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:31:43 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;817242
i doubt there is anyone left who could or would pay a "price tag" if there was any.

Cue the angry hordes with pitchforks demanding A-Eon buy it in 5... 4..... 3..... ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
I have an original version with manuals and disks. Its in switzerland though.

Offline IanP

• Show only replies by IanP
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Isn't SAS a multibillion dollar company, if so I doubt they would put a price on an ancient Amiga classic compiler. Whether you could find anybody there willing to put the time and effort into open sourcing it is also doubtful but you never know, good luck.

guest11527

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
Quote from: IanP;817250
Isn't SAS a multibillion dollar company, if so I doubt they would put a price on an ancient Amiga classic compiler.
Yes, and I afraid I have to agree. I'm not very optimistic that this will go anywhere...

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »
Wasn't SAS/C made free for download?

Fuzzy recollection there.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
Quote from: gregthecanuck;817254
Wasn't SAS/C made free for download?

Fuzzy recollection there.

I don't think so, and you can't buy it new either.

https://www.warped.com/amiga/

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »
A quick google search turned up at least one download of 6.50 with the patches. It has been there a while with no issue so far.

Note that I do own a real copy of SAS/C but backup images for the diskettes are always welcome.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 04:48:56 AM »
Quote from: IanP;817250
Isn't SAS a multibillion dollar company, if so I doubt they would put a price on an ancient Amiga classic compiler. Whether you could find anybody there willing to put the time and effort into open sourcing it is also doubtful but you never know, good luck.

not sure of their budget. but doesnt the multibillion company, you may be referring to, rather go by the name of "SAP"? however, software by any actually operating company may be beyond any such "pricetag". id love to be wrong..