Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9253 times)

Description:

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Quote from: JJ;666249
I am not an Amiga coder.  I do work in pregramming.  I could help with Amos and Blitz basic.   Where it comes to ASM though i have no idea.  I know basic but not amos or blitz.  So I am not sure what help I could be

It could be the medication I'm on as I write, but....huh ?
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »
Quote from: JJ;667254
Nope its me :)

What I am saying is that I can code, I do not know AMOS or BLITZ specfically but feel fairly confident I could pick them up pretty quickly and help.

I can code in VB .net, Amstrad CPC basic, and some other versions of basic.

You love your Basics don't you ? (joke)

Seriously though, to me it makes no sense to provide 64289 different syntactic rules because there are 64289 different types of functionality provided. That's one of the reason I hated AMAL. Another reason was that (AFAIK) AMAL animations where linear and thus useless for my needs, so I invented my own "cooperative scheduler" scheduling object code (subroutines), to dance the dance and sing the song.

Being "slightly" off topic here I'll have to ask something (or I'll forget): I remember I had discovered that I could store a subroutine's reference inside a variable and then call the subroutine by dereferencing that variable (gosub SUB). Was this documented or was it a miraculous side effect ? Any AMOS gurus with wise words ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:02:17 PM by Einstein »
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
@Michael V. Parent

Actually I'm not, not the slightest :)

The last (two) times I, progamming-wise, touched Amiga was 2004 and 1997, and at none of those occasions were I concerned about optimizations (or I wouldn't start my half-finished game in AMOS ;)). In 1997 I dug out my A500 (I did not have/use computers at home back then, and neither did so during the following 7-8 years or so) and decided I wanted to learn how to make a game, or the collision detection and interactions between characters and the environment to be more precise. So I sat down with a piece of paper and re-invented the technique that I later learned it's name to be "tile mapping". It was great fun doing that and started a platformer (in AMOS) ala Fuzzball and similar, which I left incomplete (because I wanted to re-implement in assembly) and sadly lost the source including all the graphics by the time I wanted to proceed/port to asm.

In 2004 I kind of re-discovered (in a primitive and rather ugly way) 3d vector rotations when I, again, dug out my A500 for another round of pain and pleasure messing with ideas.

Nowadays the programming aspect of my life is bound to C (system and app), and scripting in PHP, Python, JS (browser addons, mostly private ones). I do want to get back at simpler game programming at some point, but then I want to make own project :o

--------------------------

I'm looking forward to the progress of your projects though. They look really interesting.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:15:38 PM by Einstein »
I have spoken !