Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9075 times)

Description:

Offline Michael V. ParentTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 02, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned Sword of Sodan, large graphics, and exceeding chip limit.

Please check out my "Sprite" animating tool "Spriter".
http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm

For ECS Amiga, you'd have to create the animations without the alpha, rotation and stretching of parts, but still the potential for fitting super smooth animations of large characters is mind blowing.

One of the projects that I'm trying to get going is a "library" capible of loading the data from Spriter and recreating the animations on Amiga.

[youtube]Pfhlsfc-EDM[/youtube]

This is how we can create drastically better animations for game effects and characters and use a very small portion of the memory and file size.

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
yeah, Battle Squadron was great, but the reason I mentioned Xenon 2 is that it has 2.5 layers of scrolling and seems all processor done (at least on the ST) so I'd figure Amiga wit hthe aid of blitter should have been able to do so in 32 color instead of just 16...since the ST had no blitter and theres only a 1 bitplane diference between 16 and 32 colors.

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks much XDelusion. This is only the beginning... It's all about us all sharing work and ideas to make all of our projects end up WAY better.  I hope lots of people start using the transulcent effect that my brother and I perfected.

I'll make demo's as I find the time and as I manage to get programmer help. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
Hi Crumb,

My plan is eventually the games would detect more ram and/or AGA and automatically upgrade by using more art, and more colors etc...

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;666929
I'd happily work on some music for you. I've been meaning to get a classic set up with sampler etc - this would provide motivation for me to do this.

An example of my (modern, not tracked) music which loops perfectly can be found here:-
http://soundcloud.com/steve_netting/platformer

This was written for a platformer that was never released :(

Steve

Nice music Steve...it'll be along time before I can finsih anthing near a complete game... but if you're a patient man we can definately use some of your music. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
My personal goal is to actually make some butt-kicking NON-enhanced Classic Amiga games (stock OCS,ECS, and AGA), BUT that shouldn't stop everyone else from from contributing to engines and games for suped up Amiga's...clearly though for drastically more powerful Amiga's, the tricks we've been discussing are almost a non-issues...that kind of processing power could simulate several playfields in 256 color mode, no?

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Those are my thoughts too...allowing ALL owners of even the most basic Amiga to pull their systems out of the attics, and experience all new and even more impressive games...reminding them how truely amazing their Amiga's really were.

It's also just been my dream since my early teens to make the most breathtaking game for a stock Amiga 500 ever created. ;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Quote from: AmiMSX;667148
Yes, I have the same spec target for my game project, I limited myself to 15 colors(+transparant), no scroll, no sprites, no bobs, the only thing moving beeing the arrow to select different options ! ;-)
Actually, my main focus is the playability and the fun factor.

The problem with very technically game projects is that they require a massive amount of time to develop. So people with great ideas and talents often give up after some time, they lose their motivations during the very long time consuming development process... It's unfortunately a quite frequent case in the "retro comp scenes"...

THATS the whole point of collecting this info and making these libraries and open source code examples..(and tools)..

It will allow for any team to do drastically more and better in drastically less time.

I've already given the comunity the exact system for creating translucent/tinting effects on any Amiga...this can now be used by EVERYONE making Amiga games without needed to fumble around and try to figure it out themselves...in fact, NOW many Amiga game creators might stuble on my example and use the trick when otherwise they might never even considered it a posibility.

Same will be for the Sprite BG trick, Palette change tricks (within a level, not just copper rainbows etc), etc etc..

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
I've already posted clear examples of exactly how to put translucent/tinting effect in even the most basic Amiga's with no performance hit, AND spent over a year creating a highly functional animation tool which creates game animations by combining multiple images for highly optimized game animation data. (www.brashmonkey.com)   I'm also working on a new tech demo based on one of the images I've posted.

Beyond that, yes, I'm sharing what my dream is, trying to make it a reality and trying to help others achieve their dreams at the same time.

@Amiten,

sorry, I am stretched thin and didn't notice your link...great stuff. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
You seem to know quite a bit about animating on Classic Amigas Einstein.  Would you be interrested in making basic Spriter files (without the transforms and alpha) play as efficiently as possible on Amiga?

www.brashmonkey.com
This will be the ultimate way to fit tons of smooth animations into the limited file and ram space.

If you might be interrested, I could start a bounty for you...