Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9271 times)

Description:

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« Reply #59 from previous page: November 08, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Quote from: JJ;666249
I am not an Amiga coder.  I do work in pregramming.  I could help with Amos and Blitz basic.   Where it comes to ASM though i have no idea.  I know basic but not amos or blitz.  So I am not sure what help I could be

It could be the medication I'm on as I write, but....huh ?
I have spoken !

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
Quote from: AmiMSX;666879
The problem with 32 colors is that you can't move so much objects on screen (well, less than when in 16 colors mode) and for a shoot'em up it's quite cool having many sprites to shoot ! ;-) In lowres 16 colors, the Amiga blitter can move +64 bobs (16x16 pixels, 8 colors per bob)

This is for unexpanded machines though? And most Amigans still around either have expansions or use winuae.

I'd put the baseline at 4 possibly 8mb and 28mhz processor.
It would be nice to see what that spec could achieve, it didn't get many pro games, as we all had that towards the end of the Amiga's life.

What little time I have, i'm willing to donate. Iv'e been a video games artist (mainly 3D and texture maps, but could certainly turn my hand to paletted tiles). for the last 13 years, with some design credits also.

I'd certainly want to make games with a decent engine though, although my main love would be to do a dungeon master style Sci-fi game with rendered graphics.

Offline Michael V. ParentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Michael V. Parent
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
My personal goal is to actually make some butt-kicking NON-enhanced Classic Amiga games (stock OCS,ECS, and AGA), BUT that shouldn't stop everyone else from from contributing to engines and games for suped up Amiga's...clearly though for drastically more powerful Amiga's, the tricks we've been discussing are almost a non-issues...that kind of processing power could simulate several playfields in 256 color mode, no?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to see more development for baseline systems as well. (Though it would be nice to see development for expanded systems that isn't just a bunch of SDL ports...)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667029
Yeah, I'd like to see more development for baseline systems as well. (Though it would be nice to see development for expanded systems that isn't just a bunch of SDL ports...)

I will do 7mhz 68000 OCS. Possibly 14mhz OCS palette for 020 or AGA 14mhz 020 as extra but mostly for 512kb-1mb 1985 Amiga A1000 spec is MY target.

So A500-2000 is covered. Accelerators are too rare and too expensive! Even I don't have one.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Basic accelerators aren't that hard to come by. But I have to wonder how many more people would get back into the Amiga scene if it were as active on the hardware they have sitting around in the attic as it is on pimped-out PPC boxes...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Those are my thoughts too...allowing ALL owners of even the most basic Amiga to pull their systems out of the attics, and experience all new and even more impressive games...reminding them how truely amazing their Amiga's really were.

It's also just been my dream since my early teens to make the most breathtaking game for a stock Amiga 500 ever created. ;)

Offline Amiten

• Show only replies by Amiten
    • http://amiftp.honor.es
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »
Many Dreams and much to do...  :sealed:
Amiten TV - Amiga Channel
http://www.youtube.com/clubamiten

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;667125
It's also just been my dream since my early teens to make the most breathtaking game for a stock Amiga 500 ever created. ;)
You'll have to beat me to it!

...okay, that's entirely possible. I swear I'm getting around to it, really!

Offline AmiMSX

• Show only replies by AmiMSX
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Quote from: Digiman
I will do 7mhz 68000 OCS. Possibly 14mhz OCS palette for 020 or AGA 14mhz 020 as extra but mostly for 512kb-1mb 1985 Amiga A1000 spec is MY target.

So A500-2000 is covered. Accelerators are too rare and too expensive! Even I don't have one.

Yes, I have the same spec target for my game project, I limited myself to 15 colors(+transparant), no scroll, no sprites, no bobs, the only thing moving beeing the arrow to select different options ! ;-)
Actually, my main focus is the playability and the fun factor.

The problem with very technically game projects is that they require a massive amount of time to develop. So people with great ideas and talents often give up after some time, they lose their motivations during the very long time consuming development process... It's unfortunately a quite frequent case in the "retro comp scenes"...

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
One of my ideas is something 2.5D (ie Sega Afterburner/Outrun type scaling graphics engine) so unavoidably it has to be technically good otherwise it will fail.

My plan is to test it works, then get help making it ASM code from my working algorithms. Think SEGA arcade hardware from late 80s meets forest areas of Oblivion game.

Could be horrible could be awesome. Who knows :)

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Quote from: AmiMSX;667148
Yes, I have the same spec target for my game project, I limited myself to 15 colors(+transparant), no scroll, no sprites, no bobs, the only thing moving beeing the arrow to select different options ! ;-)
Actually, my main focus is the playability and the fun factor.

The problem with very technically game projects is that they require a massive amount of time to develop. So people with great ideas and talents often give up after some time, they lose their motivations during the very long time consuming development process... It's unfortunately a quite frequent case in the "retro comp scenes"...

THATS the whole point of collecting this info and making these libraries and open source code examples..(and tools)..

It will allow for any team to do drastically more and better in drastically less time.

I've already given the comunity the exact system for creating translucent/tinting effects on any Amiga...this can now be used by EVERYONE making Amiga games without needed to fumble around and try to figure it out themselves...in fact, NOW many Amiga game creators might stuble on my example and use the trick when otherwise they might never even considered it a posibility.

Same will be for the Sprite BG trick, Palette change tricks (within a level, not just copper rainbows etc), etc etc..

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
So what is being aimed for Michael? a suite of libraries, or a game maker like backbone?

This looks like it would be handy:http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/ScrollingTrick

EDIT: I wonder if it would be worth getting hold of the source to backbone (if it even exists), and replacing key functions? Or would it be faster from scratch? I'm only a poor artist, so excuse me if it's a dumb idea.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:28:26 PM by Khephren »

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
Backbone was written in AmosPro but the source has been lost.  It will probably be faster from scratch.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
Quote from: Einstein;667002
It could be the medication I'm on as I write, but....huh ?

Nope its me :)

What I am saying is that I can code, I do not know AMOS or BLITZ specfically but feel fairly confident I could pick them up pretty quickly and help.

I can code in VB .net, Amstrad CPC basic, and some other versions of basic.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Amiten

• Show only replies by Amiten
    • http://amiftp.honor.es
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
Don´t know what Michael really want, cordinate people from here?, make a new game company? or tell us his dreams?.

Regards
Amiten
Amiten TV - Amiga Channel
http://www.youtube.com/clubamiten