Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9285 times)

Description:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 06, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;666816
yeah, Battle Squadron was great, but the reason I mentioned Xenon 2 is that it has 2.5 layers of scrolling and seems all processor done (at least on the ST) so I'd figure Amiga wit hthe aid of blitter should have been able to do so in 32 color instead of just 16...since the ST had no blitter and theres only a 1 bitplane diference between 16 and 32 colors.

Double whammy, ST and Amiga shared too much code and they didn't want to redraw all the graphics, and so we had a 16 colour version. The CDTV version doesn't even change tracks in sync with level changes looking at youtube videos.

The real pi$$take is they did the graphics on Dpaint I think.

Offline AmiMSX

• Show only replies by AmiMSX
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent
yeah, Battle Squadron was great, but the reason I mentioned Xenon 2 is that it has 2.5 layers of scrolling and seems all processor done (at least on the ST) so I'd figure Amiga wit hthe aid of blitter should have been able to do so in 32 color instead of just 16...since the ST had no blitter and theres only a 1 bitplane diference between 16 and 32 colors.

The problem with 32 colors is that you can't move so much objects on screen (well, less than when in 16 colors mode) and for a shoot'em up it's quite cool having many sprites to shoot ! ;-) In lowres 16 colors, the Amiga blitter can move +64 bobs (16x16 pixels, 8 colors per bob). That's why I mentioned Aleste 2 (it's a MSX2 game), this game is in 16 colors and it displays 32 sprites on screen. The gfx are nice, the game is fast, smooth and the music is really entertaining (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKaCvG51E8k&feature=related).

Well, anyway your game projects for the Amiga look promising. I like your drawings, particularly the Streets of Rage like mockup, well done (I'm really looking forward this one !!) !

I have been working on a game for some time now, but unfortunatelly, I can't code, so when all gfx and rules will be done, I will probably ask someone to help me to code it. :-\

Quote from: Digiman
That game looks very good, will have to check it out thanks.

Here are the technical features from the MegaTyphoon readme file :

---

*   more than 100 objects moving on screen
                at the same time

*   50 (!) frames per second (fps)
                (all conventional games with comparable number,
                size and complexity of moving objects run at 17
                or at most 25 fps only )

*   Full performance on ALL AMIGAS (including A1000,A500)

*   pioneering new graphics engine featuring
                64 BOB's, 48 Sprites, 16 Colors

*   copper driven blitter

*   virtual sprite engine

*   virtual playfield scrolling

*   asynchronuous multi-process animation algorithm

*   animation/control process separation

In other words:

The fastest arcade action game ever made for the AMIGA !

---

:-)

Quote from: Digiman
One day I will finish a 1 level demo of Lifeforce/Salamander for OCS.

Wow, I'm really looking forward to this one as well, I cross my fingers ! An Amiga version would rock !

Did you ever play the old Salamander MSX version (done by Konami themselves !) ?

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »
Quote from: AmiMSX;666879

Did you ever play the old Salamander MSX version (done by Konami themselves !) ?

My inspiration was the Commodore 64 version, which considering the C64's specification was really quite a miracle. But I spent whole summers in the mid 80s playing Nemesis and Salamander in the arcades.

Way back in the mists of time I knew graphically it would look good and also the Amiga would do a good version based on my initial tests on an ST with zero hardware assist. I got a reasonable two layer parallax vertically scrolling engine out of the ST with my then Salamander test graphics in STOS Basic language. Probably a good thing Imagine/Ocean didn't convert it themselves back in the day as it probably wouldn't have been more than an ST port :)

First game I will do is something simple but with something to prove. Level of 1.3 of Micky Mouse-Castle of Illusion from Sega Megadrive/Genesis on Amiga. If I can get that out the door hopefully means I can blow out all the cobwebs from my brain years later. Plus it would make a fun little game to pass the time with and prove Amiga games should look more like Sega 16bit games and a lot less like ST games! :)

My dream conversion though is Gauntlet 1.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:10:02 PM by Digiman »

Offline jay

• Show only replies by jay
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Good luck guys, I'm a whiz with deluxe paint. but never had the patience or the mental capacity for programming. tried a few attempts with amos and blitz basic. but dont think i would be of any use.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »
Quote from: jay;666896
Good luck guys, I'm a whiz with deluxe paint. but never had the patience or the mental capacity for programming. tried a few attempts with amos and blitz basic. but dont think i would be of any use.

Don't let that get you down.  It generally takes at least 2 artists for every coder in the gaming industry.

WoodChipper Games is a handle that 2 of my friends and I were going to start a small cross-platform games company but only one artist would work for us.  That one is on the LavaDragons game (Joust spin-off).  If you wouldn't mind seeing a game get ported off of AGA onto other platforms, you could join up on the FenceCheck project for making vertical Raiden-style shooter.

Offline jay

• Show only replies by jay
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
Sounds interesting. but i haven't much time on my hands these days. Could contribute in my spare time tho. what do i have to do to join up on the fenceCheck project??

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 01:07:52 AM »
@Jay

Send me a private message with your email address.  I'll talk to Mike and Joel about it.  If you've got some thumbnails of past artwork or links to it online, send me those in your private message too.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
Michael V. Parent: Man....

....has the community been waiting for someone like you to come around.

VERY IMPRESSIVE Images my man!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Michael V. ParentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Michael V. Parent
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks much XDelusion. This is only the beginning... It's all about us all sharing work and ideas to make all of our projects end up WAY better.  I hope lots of people start using the transulcent effect that my brother and I perfected.

I'll make demo's as I find the time and as I manage to get programmer help. :)

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »
I'd happily work on some music for you.  I've been meaning to get a classic set up with sampler etc - this would provide motivation for me to do this.  

An example of my (modern, not tracked) music which loops perfectly can be found here:-
http://soundcloud.com/steve_netting/platformer

This was written for a platformer that was never released :(

Steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:12:01 AM by TCMSLP »
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
I'd just like to say it's an awesome idea! I hope it comes to fruition.

Offline Amiten

• Show only replies by Amiten
    • http://amiftp.honor.es
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
Hello all,

It is a pleasure to read that there are people even thinking about developing games for Amiga.

I few months ago I started developing a shooter type game called "AMIWARS" I'm currently developing on its own and the language I use is Amos Pro, from the beginning the idea was to craft 3D models from 3D Studio Max to then pass them on to the Amiga's how I'm doing this project developed.

In the videos you can see the first tests I have done with the game and its development continues, slowly because I do everything without help, but gradually, as seen in the videos the Bobs are quite large and even the attack and other are very old but now I have made new designs and I have a new update that you can see soon.

I like the initiative that is here to come together to make engines for game development and release those applications to the community so they can make use of them.

If I can help with anything here I am my email is clubamiten@gmail.com.

greetings and Amiga forever.

http://www.youtube.com/user/clubamiten#p/u/8/d6-8o8g61QQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/clubamiten#p/u/7/24ZHlpjF7qM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-0_gJQAHDM&feature=player_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AECCZGCnM&feature=related
Amiten TV - Amiga Channel
http://www.youtube.com/clubamiten

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
@Michael V. Parent

Don't forget AGA Amigas could make use of extra ram and cpu... if copper/blitter isn't enough it's possible to use raw cpu power to add any missing sprite/parallax you need, and cpu can also modify colour registers faster.

For OCS/ECS I can understand to limit the games to 1MB chip but for AGA using a 030/25 and 8MB of fastram would be the absolute minimum IMHO. After all Amiga 4000 was sold with 030/25 and 8MB as default in some configurations and 030s are very common.

With an accelerator it should be easier to create quarter-pixel scrolls for example. And also to modify more colours on each scanline... you could still use hardware scroll but when there are too many objects on screen the gfx composition could be performed by the cpu in fastram (directly in planar mode, skipping c2p)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
Hi Crumb,

My plan is eventually the games would detect more ram and/or AGA and automatically upgrade by using more art, and more colors etc...

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 05:27:14 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;666929
I'd happily work on some music for you. I've been meaning to get a classic set up with sampler etc - this would provide motivation for me to do this.

An example of my (modern, not tracked) music which loops perfectly can be found here:-
http://soundcloud.com/steve_netting/platformer

This was written for a platformer that was never released :(

Steve

Nice music Steve...it'll be along time before I can finsih anthing near a complete game... but if you're a patient man we can definately use some of your music. :)

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »
Quote from: JJ;666249
I am not an Amiga coder.  I do work in pregramming.  I could help with Amos and Blitz basic.   Where it comes to ASM though i have no idea.  I know basic but not amos or blitz.  So I am not sure what help I could be

It could be the medication I'm on as I write, but....huh ?
I have spoken !