Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration  (Read 9286 times)

Description:

Offline Michael V. ParentTopic starter

• Show only replies by Michael V. Parent
Re: Pro game artist looking for help/collaboration
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 10:02:44 PM »
I work remotely as a freelancer for predominently American companies, so I can live anywhere.. I live near Vannes, which I find absolutely beautiful.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;666295
I work remotely as a freelancer for predominently American companies, so I can live anywhere.. I live near Vannes, which I find absolutely beautiful.

Hey not far away from where I live, Vannes is a nice city :)  Kamel

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;666286
Yeah, look at games like Xenon 2 Megablast... the ST version is all processor, right? Thats a full screen 16 color game with lots of shots, enemies and a simulated 2.5 playfields (counting the back stars as 0.5 playfields ;) )
[youtube]od0B1EQw47I[/youtube]

The A500 version looked the same (sounded WAY better)...so, if the Amiga could do all that with just its processor, what about all that blitter power on top...Then the Sprites...Amiga games should have incredible visual potential.
Lets make it happem :)

PS, how do you imbed a youtube vid like that?

Same 16 colours on Amiga but faster. Why is it ambitious early games like Sword of Sodan are better? Big bold Neo-Geo style graphics is where I start. We must all exceed chipset limit and scale it back.

Chase HQ is my dream project, but maybe only Magnetic Fields team for Lotus II could do it justice. Too many ST ports!

I see you worked out the youtube thing ;)

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »
I'm glad you mentioned Sword of Sodan, large graphics, and exceeding chip limit.

Please check out my "Sprite" animating tool "Spriter".
http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm

For ECS Amiga, you'd have to create the animations without the alpha, rotation and stretching of parts, but still the potential for fitting super smooth animations of large characters is mind blowing.

One of the projects that I'm trying to get going is a "library" capible of loading the data from Spriter and recreating the animations on Amiga.

[youtube]Pfhlsfc-EDM[/youtube]

This is how we can create drastically better animations for game effects and characters and use a very small portion of the memory and file size.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »
You know, if you guys are serious about this, I'll pitch in with graphics, UI elements and sound, should this actually see fruition.

[edit]

I would, however, like to see something similar to Unity. Side scrollers, Top scrollers and adventure-type games, similar to the Ultima series all combined into one engine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:28:36 PM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Digiman

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;666387
You know, if you guys are serious about this, I'll pitch in with graphics, UI elements and sound, should this actually see fruition.

[edit]

I would, however, like to see something similar to Unity. Side scrollers, Top scrollers and adventure-type games, similar to the Ultima series.

Unity the Lionhead Llamasoft unreleased Gamecube game?

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;666395
Unity the Lionhead Llamasoft unreleased Gamecube game?

http://unity3d.com/

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;666387
I would, however, like to see something similar to Unity. Side scrollers, Top scrollers and adventure-type games, similar to the Ultima series all combined into one engine.
I am so glad that you are not overly demanding :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Digiman

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
Everything is better in SEGA style scaling graphics for 2.5D :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:30 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;666419
Everything is better in SEGA style scaling graphics for 2.5D :)

Id give my right arm (well, maybe not *my* right arm, but Id happily hack someone elses of and *hand* it over (no pun intended)) for a new "sprite" based "3d" racing game (ala outrun, etc.).
Most modern racing games are all way too similar, and serious for my tastes.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;666406
I am so glad that you are not overly demanding :)

Nope. They just want to do something different from what I wanted. Simple logic. Help them on their quest and they help me with mine. Back scratching so to speak. ;)

Backbone couldn't do what I wanted and my limited coding abilities don't allow for my creating what I wanted, hence offering services to those who do, in the hopes we could kill two birds with one stone.

Currently, I'm working on graphics for a fantasy mod for CivIV and V and I do graphics for BTBuilder, a BTCS clone, though I've lost interest as we still don't have a proper editor so I'm not really getting anything out of it.

Offline AmiMSX

• Show only replies by AmiMSX
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;666286

The A500 version looked the same (sounded WAY better)...so, if the Amiga could do all that with just its processor, what about all that blitter power on top...Then the Sprites...Amiga games should have incredible visual potential.
Lets make it happem :)

The Amiga can do way better than Xenon 2, checkout "Mega Typhoon" (http://aminet.net/search?query=mega+typhoon), it's technically a really impressing game ! The game is very smooth, and there are many sprites on screen. I dream of an Aleste 2 (or maybe a "Raiden"/"Twin Cobra" like shooter) version for Amiga using "Mega Typhoon" engine !

A video of "Mega Typhoon" is available on youtube too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-iapekmpng), but better try it on a real Amiga500, it's far more impressive !

Offline Digiman

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;666476
Id give my right arm (well, maybe not *my* right arm, but Id happily hack someone elses of and *hand* it over (no pun intended)) for a new "sprite" based "3d" racing game (ala outrun, etc.).
Most modern racing games are all way too similar, and serious for my tastes.

If I had access to such an engine then remakes of Chase HQ, Outrun and Power Drift would be first out the blocks :)

And something like Galaxy Force II!

Offline Digiman

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Quote from: AmiMSX;666696
The Amiga can do way better than Xenon 2, checkout "Mega Typhoon" (http://aminet.net/search?query=mega+typhoon), it's technically a really impressing game ! The game is very smooth, and there are many sprites on screen. I dream of an Aleste 2 (or maybe a "Raiden"/"Twin Cobra" like shooter) version for Amiga using "Mega Typhoon" engine !

A video of "Mega Typhoon" is available on youtube too (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-iapekmpng), but better try it on a real Amiga500, it's far more impressive !

Battle Squadron dumped on Xenon II, super smooth AND 2 player co-op. It's sad to say but back in the day ST or Amiga artists were generally nowhere compared to coin-op artists, and why did many western artists draw outlines around sprites from arcade conversions too? Jim Sachs quality was an exception.

I had sprites for Nemesis/Gradius on my ST screen in 1986 which I had no use for as I am not a 68k programmer.

That game looks very good, will have to check it out thanks.

One day I will finish a 1 level demo of Lifeforce/Salamander for OCS.

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
yeah, Battle Squadron was great, but the reason I mentioned Xenon 2 is that it has 2.5 layers of scrolling and seems all processor done (at least on the ST) so I'd figure Amiga wit hthe aid of blitter should have been able to do so in 32 color instead of just 16...since the ST had no blitter and theres only a 1 bitplane diference between 16 and 32 colors.

Offline Digiman

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 06, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Quote from: Michael V. Parent;666816
yeah, Battle Squadron was great, but the reason I mentioned Xenon 2 is that it has 2.5 layers of scrolling and seems all processor done (at least on the ST) so I'd figure Amiga wit hthe aid of blitter should have been able to do so in 32 color instead of just 16...since the ST had no blitter and theres only a 1 bitplane diference between 16 and 32 colors.

Double whammy, ST and Amiga shared too much code and they didn't want to redraw all the graphics, and so we had a 16 colour version. The CDTV version doesn't even change tracks in sync with level changes looking at youtube videos.

The real pi$$take is they did the graphics on Dpaint I think.