Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Scotland Under Threat...  (Read 28028 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore Scotland Under Threat...
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
Actually there have been successful attempts to legally force people to remove wb/ks rom images from peoples sites. Personally I think youre potentially asking for trouble keeping them there, especially in light of you drawing attention to yourself. I dont really care myself, but I'd be surprised if it wasnt just a matter of time before you received genuine emails over it. As for OS4.x, it's the amiga based OS I have least interest in, but to call it crap just 'cos it doesnt run well on an old bppc+aga combo is a bit far fetched.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
Quote from: Franko;613100
The same stuff on my site can be found easily on the net and why no-ones complaining about them I don't know. Simple fact here is those who pretend to be all high and mighty on the subject are nothing but a bunch of two faced hypocrites... :)

Sure, it's not hard to find them (ks images), but there's been more than a few situations where sites hosting them have been forced to remove them, instigated by A.Inc (although Im dubious your email is from them and in the last year or so they seem to have stopped persuing it with the vigour they once did). If it comes to that then you'll lose if you choose to fight it. Love or hate them, it is thier property. Again though, I personally dont really care.
I assume your last sentence is in regards to Dammy, and I have to agree that yes, it's just Dammy being Dammy.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
I must admit, Im surprised at how easy it is to find AmigaOS4.x online for download. I dont really understand why people would bother to upload it being that the hardware to run it on typically comes with OS4.x (apart from classic version), but for whatever reason they have. If something like sheepshaver or qemu worked with OS4.x then Id understand, but as yet they dont.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
Personally I'd just leave it as it is until (if) you get genuine requests to remove particular content from resepctive copyright holders. Sure, some of it is technically piracy, but as you mentioned a lot of the stuff thier simply isnt available to buy anymore, so it's not like youre costing anyone money for 99% of the content. The KS ROM images are probably the main exception here, and the things you're most likely to get genuine requests to remove.
Im reluctant to use the phrase, but it is a bit of a grey area in some ways. Legally its fairly black and white, but with a lot of software that is still copyrighted some of the companies dont even exist anymore, or have simply forgotten about some of thier software for non mainstream options from last centuary, or possibly even unaware theyre the copyright holders to some software (from when mergers or buyouts, etc. happen).