Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't get it.  (Read 14508 times)

Description:

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
I don't get it.
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:07 PM »
It seems that the X1000 announcement has sent the forum into a timewarp backwards to 2003 or so. I've not seen so much amiga "sectarianism" for a long time.

So, the X1000. It's going to be expensive. We all pretty much understand that. What I don't quite get is why this seems to be such a catalyst for the old Red v Blue nonsense.

The only people that the X1000 was ever going to appeal to is people in the "Red" camp. I strongly doubt anybody in either the "Blue" or "Black" camp would ever buy it, not at any price. The obvious reason being that one's choice of OS dictates pretty much what you can use hardware wise. If you are a MorphOS guy, you are going to get a Peg, Efika or more likely a Mac of some description. End of story, really. Likewise, if you are an AROS guy you're going to choose whatever x86 based kit works for you.

So why all the angst of the X1000, it's price, performance? Personally I like 3.x and it's gang of unruly offspring. I probably use OS4 most of all the "next gen" stuff, but I'm considering a ppc mac at some point so that I can fiddle around with a more up to date MorphOS too.

But that's me. Many others are quite singular in their preference. Which is fine, I have no problem with that. However, if I were predisposed to just one of them, I really would not give a rats rectum about what any of the others are up to. Why would I?

Am I alone in wondering what all this recent nonsense is about?
int p; // A

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: I don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566276
I've not seen so much amiga "sectarianism" for a long time.

Karlos, I use Amiga emulation and MorphOS (plus I've played around with AROS and may dedicate another system to it as it matures). I too do not understand the unnecessary divisions between Amiga related camps.

When I make a positive comment or suggestion, frequently I get negative feedback.

When I make a critical comment or suggest a change, I'm often personally attacked.

If I didn't already know that many of the people I'm dealing with are sharp, intelligent individuals with interests similar to mine, I'd be really offended by some of the rude treatment I've received lately.

And its not just OS4, AROS or MorphOS, original Amiga users and Natami fanatics have been just as rabid.

Considering the similarities between systems and their common point of origin, you'd think  we'd be more unified.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »
Maybe it's fear? If one of the solutions gets really popular some might feel it would hurt their choice if it's not the popular one. This is not the case though. I'm glad that today's world of Next Gen Amiga is very different then the Commodore days. When Commodore died we were screwed. Only Commodore made Amiga’s so their death put a time bomb in the Amiga market. Now diversification gives us freedom of choice and encourages healthy competition. This will drive innovation and help everyone in the long run. The Next Gen's will probably never be the most used operating systems in the world unless Quantum Computers are perfected on Amiga OS 4.x, AROS or MorphOS but a nice market of 10,000 or even 100,000 users can be achieved.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:30:22 AM by Pyromania »

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:22:10 AM »
What's not to understand? This happens almost everywhere in everyday life.

Mac & PC
Democrat & Republican
Ford & Chevy
etc..

People stand by what they believe in.
Or are you just stirring the pot?

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:04 AM »
people fighting over nothing is always stupid.

if this system fits your needs, get it. if it doesn't, find something else

it's that simple
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:43 AM »
I think it is human nature to compare things, for better or for worse. I wonder if things were calmer since it was relatively slow for a long time. Now we have some news out of all options and the chest beating begins again.

-Edit-
I will say it is better to be discussing a high priced PA6T system compared to older, cheaper G4 power macs than to be talking about lawsuits, IP legal questions and lack of hardware options at all except a few completely underwhelming options (see Efika and used hardware like discontinued, somewhat flakey products).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:33:13 AM by redrumloa »
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;566281
Maybe it's fear? If one of the solutions gets really popular some might feel it would hurt their choice if it's not the popular one. This is not the case though. I'm glad that today's world of Next Gen Amiga is very different then the Commodore days. When Commodore died we were screwed. Only Commodore made Amiga’s so their death put a time bomb in the Amiga market. Now diversification gives us freedom of choice and encourages healthy competition. This will drive innovation and help everyone in the long run. The Next Gen's will probably never be the most used operating systems in the world unless Quantum Computers are perfected on Amiga OS 4.x, AROS or MorphOS but a nice market of 10,00 or even 100,000 users can be achieved.

I could agree with Part of this, I don,t think fear is a likely cause though.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;566286
I think it is human nature to compare things, for better or for worse. I wonder if things were calmer since it was relatively slow for a long time. Now we have some news out of all options and the chest beating begins again.

Comparing is fine, ranting and flaming away over something you wouldn't have bought even if it came complete with "sex and free beer" seems a bit stupid.
int p; // A

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566290
Comparing is fine, ranting and flaming away over something you wouldn't have bought even if it came complete with "sex and free beer" seems a bit stupid.

I agree, I am just thinking it does indeed happen everywhere. It is probably human nature. Even Zune owners wanted to claim their product was superior to iPods.

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:15 AM »
I dunno, I just thought the real hot-heads had all upped sticks years ago for their own platform-of-choice-only forum ideas of utopia.

I'm happy that there's some activity, it's just that it's all seems so unduly negative.
int p; // A

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
Amiga.org has already used over 51 GB of bandwith this month alone so it's a very active and lively community here.

:)

I don't know about other foums.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;566292
I dunno, I just thought the real hot-heads had all upped sticks years ago for their own platform-of-choice-only forum ideas of utopia.

I'm happy that there's some activity, it's just that it's all seems so unduly negative.

Granted I am not reading every thread on every message board, but I have not seen anything near as nasty as ~2002-2005. That was an ugly, ugly time.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:57 AM »
It seems that the X1000 announcement has sent the forum into a timewarp backwards to 2003 or so. I've not seen so much amiga "sectarianism" for a long time.

So, the X1000. It's going to be expensive. We all pretty much understand that. What I don't quite get is why this seems to be such a catalyst for the old Red v Blue nonsense.

The only people that the X1000 was ever going to appeal to is people in the "Red" camp. I strongly doubt anybody in either the "Blue" or "Black" camp would ever buy it, not at any price. The obvious reason being that one's choice of OS dictates pretty much what you can use hardware wise. If you are a MorphOS guy, you are going to get a Peg, Efika or more likely a Mac of some description. End of story, really. Likewise, if you are an AROS guy you're going to choose whatever x86 based kit works for you.

So why all the angst of the X1000, it's price, performance? Personally I like 3.x and it's gang of unruly offspring. I probably use OS4 most of all the "next gen" stuff, but I'm considering a ppc mac at some point so that I can fiddle around with a more up to date MorphOS too.

I reckon it's green-envy and bewilderment in equal measures ;)

I think even the most harden MorphOS/AROS 'supporters' would swap to OS4 if (big if) things on the red side were attractive enough to them.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;566295
Granted I am not reading every thread on every message board, but I have not seen anything near as nasty as ~2002-2005. That was an ugly, ugly time.

Yeah, I remember. I signed up just as it all kicked off.
int p; // A

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:45:29 AM »

The only people that the X1000 was ever going to appeal to is people in the "Red" camp. I strongly doubt anybody in either the "Blue" or "Black" camp would ever buy it, not at any price.

Not necessarily. Since the PA6T is a nice processor I could consider a purchase (given the hardware were rather bug free) even while OS4 is not my favorite Amigaish OS if the price was attractive. Indeed chances are pretty low (not only because of the product, but also for other reasons) to motivate a purchase by me, but the chances were not NULL. For a price above 800 EUR they are NULL indeed - at least as long as only OS4 & Linux run on it.