Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to move AROS forward  (Read 10714 times)

Description:

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
Re: How to move AROS forward
« Reply #149 from previous page: August 02, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
Oh, it was my programming skills that were insufficient, but Zekaric seems to be a dev. Maybe he could be talked into doing it.  He also had some ideas for pawing the road for new devs that haven’t been deeply involved with Amiga. And all ideas that lead to more devs and more users sounds good.

AROS is different and different is good.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
maybe this can interest some of you...
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »
Just a little news worth mentioning:

http://www.power2people.org/bounty_018.html

M. Schulz, after his successfull SAM440EP port, is porting AROS to the Efika platform too.

p.bes

Offline cicero790

Re: maybe this can interest some of you...
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
That's terrific news, terrific work. The more platforms its on the better.

And I also really hope a talented dev picks up the browser bounty or just do it for the greater good.

I'll be waiting anxiously for ditching Windows on the home pc.
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2008, 11:37:12 PM »

paolone wrote:
Just a little news worth mentioning:

http://www.power2people.org/bounty_018.html

M. Schulz, after his successfull SAM440EP port, is porting AROS to the Efika platform too.

Ahh, so it won't be long before Moto has a decent OS to run on his Lego monstrosity? ;-)

Ok then, two decent OSs... :roll: :lol:

Offline unchartedTopic starter

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
I've been away all week, so I was really excited when I saw this news item:

VmwAROS to support 68K applications

I skipped the description and went straight to the good stuff on the video page.  It was interesting, but not what it said on the tin.  A start, nevertheless.

Remembering this thread, my favourite part of the video page is...

Obviously, this is not the "UAE integration" many AROS users are aiming to, since it needs the original Amiga ROM and system files to work

Even if Rich had of completed the UAE bounty, it still would have needed AmigaOS system files and Kickstart Images.  The first part of the Kickstart bounty is due tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see if that has got anywhere.

When will you guys actually realise that a 68k port of AROS isn't some guy {bleep}ing about what he wants, but an actual requirement?  It's not a good thing for an open source OS to require a closed source OS to be able to run 95%+ of the software library. :roll:  Even super-duper-mega-Linux-AROS is going to need 68k port to be able to run legacy stuff (which lets face it is what the majority of the people that are going to take any notice of an Amiga-like are going to want).

I got such a kicking from the AROS community for this thread, but at every opportunity I've been proven right.  The 'split' that everyone was pissing their pants about has happened anyway, and time and time again it has been shown that a 68k port is vital.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »
the split is because there was to many morphos users on the aros team, the team lost amiga coders, focus on a logo and cartoon mascot become more important than code. in the end it become difficult to stay on the right path. someone wanted aros to run on eifka, others wanted a more modern amiga lookalike os called analbus, then it all fell apart. the main goal the x86 and 68k uae integration was forgotten. as i see it now aros is pretty much dead and will not go anywhere, becouse of the split there simply aint enough coders that have any intressted anymore, sad but true.

Offline unchartedTopic starter

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
Nice flamebait A1260.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
@A1260

Aros has only lost two coders to Anubis, one of whom worked on some AROS apps a while back and the other who was planning to leave the project anyway... Now at least these guys will stay in the community...

Aros is still going strong, activity on the Dev list has rarely been higher... Get a clue before you post.

Offline cicero790

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
I don’t think this split will damage AROS, it will only future prof the Amiga as a whole. AROS don’t move forward, it kind of sprints forward. I highly anticipate the next vmwaros for there seems to be a lot of goodies for both devs and users in the next version.
AROS 600 MHz