Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga Accelerators  (Read 9575 times)

Description:

Offline aperez

• Show all replies
    • http://inertial.biz
Re: New Amiga Accelerators
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:32 AM »
bloodline, your ignorance is amazing, and yet you reply to every thread as though you have all the answers. If you spent half as much time learning half of the stuff you think you know, instead of spewing drivel on amiga.org forums, you'd be a rocket scientist by now. You have no qualifications to be making assertions such as the ones you routinely make. Naysaying isn't exactly a difficult task. Someone who knows what they are doing can hire someone to design an 8-layer PCB, so please, think before you allow your drivel to hit the keyboard, with all due respect.

Offline aperez

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
Sure, I'd be happy to. Let me start by just saying that while, for many, computing may be simply a hobby; Retrocomputing certainly is for me, and I never owned an Amiga when they were new. For me it's not about reminiscing and longing for the good/bad old days, and wishing for an Amiga revolution, which is highly unlikely, at best, to ever occur.

I suspect strongly that my perspective on the matter of the "future" of the Amiga/Amiga-workalikes is perhaps quite divergent from the views of a lot of old-timers. Computing is my profession. As a systems administrator, I'm currently responsible for administering over 150 physical machines of varying age, from bleeding edge (8-way quad-core AMD Opteron machines with 64GB of RAM, and Sun UltraSparc T2-based machines). I'm right in the middle of building out a new facility in a data center that is serious top-shelf stuff. The website I administer the machines for receives millions of hits per week. There are a *lot* of moving parts, figuratively speaking.

Why explain the above? I believe it lays the framework for a very different perspective on computing, both past and present, that's all. Secondly, I also feel it does provide my opinions with a certain amount of reputableness. If I come across as elitist or simply out to toot my own horn, I offer my sincerest apologies. That's not the intention. Yes, I can sometimes be arrogant. Yes, I call it like I see it, sometimes even when it's not genuinely necessary. Fundamentally, I'm a very reasonable person, and I'm sure I could have an entirely reasonable and civil conversation with anyone here on the forums.

Anyways, bloodlines' comments are often factually false. If you really need me to, I will go off and cite specific examples, but some of them are so far off the mark that they should be self-evident to anyone with some semblance of clue. I'd urge you to simply re-read some of his comments (both in this thread and others) and come to your own conclusions. My opinion is in no way canon :)

Offline aperez

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:11:47 AM »
I hardly find the comparison fitting, however IMHO any genuinely talented systems administrator has a genuinely rich knowledge of underlying hardware design (CPU architecture, memory subsystem limitations, etc) and in my case, I work with engineering staff on a daily basis to aid them in addressing these sorts of issues.

@Bloodline: You have my sincerest apologies. I believe I misattributed several posts from another user who shall remain nameless as your own, much to my dismay. Additionally, in my late-night reading of several different threads, I believe I mistook some comments of yours from other threads and unwittingly confused them as being replies to this thread. I re-read the entire thread, and besides your first reply, I don't really see anything in this particular thread that is at all objectionable.

Offline aperez

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:55:16 AM »
@shoggoth: "(and frankly, "systems administrator with a genuinely rich knowledge" != "hardware engineer")."

I never claimed it did...