Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga Accelerators  (Read 9557 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
Re: New Amiga Accelerators
« Reply #89 from previous page: June 13, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »
the amount of glue logic to adapt signals from a x86 to a 68k socket would be very expensive, inefficient, and require a significant amount of engineering.
imagine adapting a core2 duo to a 286 motherboard add emulation in (not a big hit but still) and expect how much in perforamnce.

two words [color=ff0000]Amiga Forever[/color]

emulation gives you all the benefits of the x86 accelerator plus it has a new (no caps leaking) motherboard and practically free piccasso video.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline aperez

• Show only replies by aperez
    • http://inertial.biz
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:32 AM »
bloodline, your ignorance is amazing, and yet you reply to every thread as though you have all the answers. If you spent half as much time learning half of the stuff you think you know, instead of spewing drivel on amiga.org forums, you'd be a rocket scientist by now. You have no qualifications to be making assertions such as the ones you routinely make. Naysaying isn't exactly a difficult task. Someone who knows what they are doing can hire someone to design an 8-layer PCB, so please, think before you allow your drivel to hit the keyboard, with all due respect.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2008, 03:41:36 AM »
@aperez

Which parts exactly were ignorant or wrong? How?

Offline Plaz

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »
@Piru

Yes, a curious first posting.

Plaz

Offline codenetfx

• Show only replies by codenetfx
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2008, 06:14:10 AM »
I am just having fun reading the angry posts.

bloodline: you sure did pi$$ off that first-time poster though. :)))))))

What is all this nonsense about 2GB/3GB of RAM? We all know Macs are cool. I have a few too. Both Windows XP and Macs are great machines, if you ask me. I am honestly curious how all hard-core Maccers are pushing their Macs to the limit. Do you photoshop/animate/calculate PI to the umpteen zillion decimal places? What kind of software uses 16GB of RAM? I really want to know if you are doing that on a daily basis.

And what is all this trashing of a guy who wants to build the PPC board? All you have to do is not respond if you don't have one (PPC board) to sell. We all know that PPC boards have the worst bang for the buck associated with them. This is why they sucked in the marketplace: too expensive for what they offered.

Remember that this is a forum for enthusiasts. If you are feeling unenthusiastic about Amiga (or anything else), log out for a day. Wait until enthusiasm creeps in again.

Bokay?
===================================================
2x(A500+GVP Hard drive), A4000/VT, A3000/386SX, A1200/Blizzard 1230 50MHz, A2000/68040/GVP/SCSI/Toaster, A2500/GVP/SCSI, A3000/Toaster, G4 Mac Mac SE30, Thinkpads T40s/X41, Linux boxes...

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »

codenetfx wrote:

What is all this nonsense about 2GB/3GB of RAM? We all know Macs are cool. I have a few too. Both Windows XP and Macs are great machines, if you ask me. I am honestly curious how all hard-core Maccers are pushing their Macs to the limit. Do you photoshop/animate/calculate PI to the umpteen zillion decimal places? What kind of software uses 16GB of RAM? I really want to know if you are doing that on a daily basis.

Photo and video editing will chew through ram like it's going out of fashion, I suspect handling any large dataset whilst requiring more or less realtime input would be the same, so I would add to that music. Compiling large programs also tends to like RAM a fair bit as well.

The point in the thread discussing 16Gb was someone wanting to use ram dimms as a replacement for a hard drive. It was later pointed out that there are better alternatives to this out there already - hybrid drives or even solid state disks. Hell, even USB flash drives.  

codenetfx wrote:
And what is all this trashing of a guy who wants to build the PPC board?

I'm guessing that you didn't read the bit where the initial poster stated that he would be doing it not from a tech drawing, or a schematic they'd aquired or made themselves, but from a photograph.

codenetfx wrote:
Remember that this is a forum for enthusiasts. If you are feeling unenthusiastic about Amiga (or anything else), log out for a day. Wait until enthusiasm creeps in again.

Yes, lets let people come on here, with ludicrous plans about this that or the other, and not take the time to explain to them why it won't work, and suggest better alternatives (both of which has been done in this thread if you'd bothered to read it).

-ninjar edits  :lol:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »
i dont know where this thread is going,but some people are capable of amazing things.
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline shoggoth

• Show only replies by shoggoth
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »
@aperez

Can you elaborate that? Personally, I fail to see how Bloodlines comments have been irrelevant or ignorant, and frankly I don't consider myself a total moron in this context :-)

Offline aperez

• Show only replies by aperez
    • http://inertial.biz
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
Sure, I'd be happy to. Let me start by just saying that while, for many, computing may be simply a hobby; Retrocomputing certainly is for me, and I never owned an Amiga when they were new. For me it's not about reminiscing and longing for the good/bad old days, and wishing for an Amiga revolution, which is highly unlikely, at best, to ever occur.

I suspect strongly that my perspective on the matter of the "future" of the Amiga/Amiga-workalikes is perhaps quite divergent from the views of a lot of old-timers. Computing is my profession. As a systems administrator, I'm currently responsible for administering over 150 physical machines of varying age, from bleeding edge (8-way quad-core AMD Opteron machines with 64GB of RAM, and Sun UltraSparc T2-based machines). I'm right in the middle of building out a new facility in a data center that is serious top-shelf stuff. The website I administer the machines for receives millions of hits per week. There are a *lot* of moving parts, figuratively speaking.

Why explain the above? I believe it lays the framework for a very different perspective on computing, both past and present, that's all. Secondly, I also feel it does provide my opinions with a certain amount of reputableness. If I come across as elitist or simply out to toot my own horn, I offer my sincerest apologies. That's not the intention. Yes, I can sometimes be arrogant. Yes, I call it like I see it, sometimes even when it's not genuinely necessary. Fundamentally, I'm a very reasonable person, and I'm sure I could have an entirely reasonable and civil conversation with anyone here on the forums.

Anyways, bloodlines' comments are often factually false. If you really need me to, I will go off and cite specific examples, but some of them are so far off the mark that they should be self-evident to anyone with some semblance of clue. I'd urge you to simply re-read some of his comments (both in this thread and others) and come to your own conclusions. My opinion is in no way canon :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

aperez wrote:

Anyways, bloodlines' comments are often factually false.

If you can refute what I say, with concrete examples then go ahead. I will stand by my comments until proven otherwise.

If you really need me to, I will go off and cite specific examples, but some of them are so far off the mark that they should be self-evident to anyone with some semblance of clue.

If you are not prepared to back up your libellous comments with evidence no matter how stupid it may seem to you, then don't bother saying anything at all!

If you are privy to information I am not, then please share... that the point of conversations.

I'd urge you to simply re-read some of his comments (both in this thread and others) and come to your own conclusions. My opinion is in no way canon :)

With only 2 posts to your name, I suspect you are probably just someone I pissed off who is now using a separate account to try and get back at me. Well done aren't you clever.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »
@aparez

So you're a system admin. That alone doesn't qualify you for much, however (and dropping all those hw specs... oh please).

I also want specific examples, thank you.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

codenetfx wrote:
I am just having fun reading the angry posts.

bloodline: you sure did pi$$ off that first-time poster though. :)))))))

An artist is nothing without an audience... ;-)

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »

Piru wrote:
@aparez

So you're a system admin. That alone doesn't qualify you for much, however (and dropping all those hw specs... oh please).

I also want specific examples, thank you.

@Piru

if he work's for a big company he may have others to help him.

@bloodline

you posted a comment in one of my photo album i don't think it's funny but you must think a little bit more before posting :-D
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline shoggoth

• Show only replies by shoggoth
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2008, 10:33:23 PM »
@aperez

System administrator. No offence aperez, but in this context it's like saying "Hey! I used MS Paint once". It's not applicable when it comes to hardware design fundamentals imo.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
@aperez

If you really need me to, I will go off and cite specific examples,

Yes, you'll need to. You are among many other IT, programming and hardware professionals here. I could completely bore you and every one else on the list with an increadibly long resume of the hundreds of systems and apps I manage and have managed in the past 24 years. So could many others here. As a common courtesy, we don't. We try to stick to specific topics and play nice wether we disagree or not. When we discuss pros and cons, yes we want to see the data that goes with it.

Plaz

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »

delshay wrote:
@bloodline

you posted a comment in one of my photo album i don't think it's funny but you must think a little bit more before posting :-D

Hahah yeah :-)