Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Preorders of SharkPPC card series  (Read 1847 times)

Description:

Offline PhantomTopic starter

• Show only replies by Phantom
    • http://l9memorial.if-legends.org/html/home.html
Preorders of SharkPPC card series
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
I can see from different Amiga forums, that many people wanted to have at least one PPC card for their Amiga to run even AmigaOS 4.0.

So here comes a simple question:

How about gathering an x-number of preorders about the SharkPPC cards from Elbox? I don't know if they have the prototype, but as I can see from their website and the photo attached, I think they have it. (According to the simple version of SharkPPC, not the plus (+) version, as I can see there is no photo).

I guess that this card is abandoned (?) and the prototype might be far for being 100% complete to run on an Amiga equipped with a Mediator.

Maybe if we send them an email, that x-people want to preorder this card, maybe they can do something. It's obvious that a news regarding that "SharkPPC cards will be available to the Amiga community" a lot of people will buy it, right?

It's just my guess. I suppose Elbox knows what is going on about the Amiga market, and I'm sure that a lot of us want to buy a new PPC card to run AmigaOS 4.0.

This thread was first started from our community (www.amigahellas.gr) and to tell the truth, we are 10 people till know that they want to preorder this card.

But I thought, that a thread in an international forum like amiga.org it would be much better.

Thanks for your reading, and I'm waiting your comments.

P.S.: Even if Elbox sometime decide to continue with the preorder of these cards, we can ask Hyperion about a patch maybe, so we can run AmigaOS 4.0 with SharkPPC cards.
To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
Re: Preorders of SharkPPC card series
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
I agree with you phantom.Count me in for that card.
What we need is people that would want to buy such cards.If we have a large number of preorders then they might reconsider.

We have to show them that there is still an amiga market and that profit can be made out of it.All these companies are after profit.

I think there is large profit from the amiga market if such a card is made (hopefully).If someone browses ebay,he might see that the funds needed to buy one card are often very high (and the cards are often 10 years+ old!with no service any more from the company that made them).

And by watching the forums here and other amiga ones i see that many people would gladly spend their money on amiga ppc cards if those card existed.And of course they would buy amiga os 4.0 after.

There is no need for negative ideas and thoughts.Let's show them that we are enough people and that we are interested to buy those ppc cards.Maybe elbox and hyperion will see the truth and understand that there is large interest for such cards in the amiga market.

Hope all goes well!

Offline zyphoid

• Show only replies by zyphoid
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
to tell the truth the archives are riddled with threads about this issue.  For starters, it is a rebadged mac cresendo card which would retails much cheaper than elbox's.  Second ther is no proof it actually works (driver or not) in mediator, and third there are issues as to os compatability.  you would think if they wanted to make money they would get it right! Vaporware!
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
I salute your optimism.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »
where is piru and his famous pictures?
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
Here is the Sonnet Crescendo card...

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »

where is piru and his famous pictures?

You don't need Piru. I had the "SharkPPC prototype" in my hand at a user meeting in Graz (the meeting I made shake hands with Mr. Binek). And from the pictures I've taken there I just can conclude that it was a Sonnet card with a rebranded cooling block.

Anyhow, I have some Sonnets here - anyone? :-)
If someone wants to write software for the booting process from PCI memory, I can also provide the information on how to start this process (if I still have the piece of paper floating around with the notes on my research, I moved inbetween, so it might have been lost) :crazy:

Michael

Offline kreciu

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »
Yes, knowing that there are "toys" like that... and knowing that I CAN'T use them makes me sick.

WHY!?

BTW. Yes, I would buy to, and yes this "SharkPPC" and Mac PPC cards look 99% identical :(.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
Elbox cannot make SharkPPC cards they were just rebranded Sonnet cards which are no longer made. Sonnet have sold out of all their back stock (probably to hopeful Amiga users).

The sonnet cards were on sale for under €100 for many years. If Elbox had been able to use them with their mediator hardware, and sold them for 2x price increase, they would have. I speculate a fundamental hardware problem exists and that is why we never saw anything, not even an OS'less demo.