Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?  (Read 17624 times)

Description:

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« Reply #149 from previous page: January 31, 2005, 04:41:14 AM »

DavidF215 wrote:

( snip, snip...)

True. But it's like that today with x86 equipment. I agree that it undercut the dealers.

So all in all, what most are saying in this thread is to use AROS on cheap x86 hardware for basic Amiga work (word processing, spreadsheets, database, etc--do such applications run on AROS?) and buy a Peg2 with MorphOS and a free LinuxOS for a modern Amiga system since A1 isn't modernized enough.

No not at all. I am suggesting if you want an Amiga style operating system and you won't leave your x86 hardware for a G4, then you might find AROS the answer. Question: Is there native apps for either OS from 3rd party developers?

You are asking if such applications run on AROS, I am quite confident that they will as development continues and the fact that it's source code compatible with 3.1 is quite amazing.

If you haven't tried AROS-Max and loaded and run all the programs that have already been ported from Aminet and Fish, then you should. It will convince you of this x86 OS's worthiness. While it's not an Amiga (not binarily 68K (without UAE) or PPC compatible) it's very capable, and with the right hardware probably faster than an AmigaOne..

My point about the OS in general being modernized enough has to do with the points I already made. Samba is a nice thing for both OS4 and AROS, but we really do need a true multi-user solution. This might be true of AROS as well. It needs to be addressed before it's put on a big network, but for now it might be a nice stand alone server/workstation.. Network admins usually don't like machines that don't have some kind of SNMP and remote administration or something they have to go to a command line that takes time to configure.

So with the Peg moving to Linux, and MorphOS stalled, if you want an Amiga style OS, you have the options of a real AmigaOne or AROS, neither give you previous chipset compatibility without emulation..

After using AROS on my existing hardware, I can't see myself  moving to a G4/G5. I think many users feel this way here in the USA and with cheap fast commodity hardware available, I can run WHATEVER OS I want on it.  If Amiga decided to make the real AmigaOS available on x86, I'd probably pre-order at whatever cost in full just to see it developed...

On Hardware:

I worked from 1985-1991 for an Amiga Dealer. The difference in the computer market today vs then is hardware is now sold as a commodity wherever you go.. You spec out the machine you want, they find the lowest price. Machines are sold on price alone these days. You don't go in expecting support or any specialized hand holding or specialized solutions. If you buy a specialized system then you are buying from a system integrator.. Back in the days of Commodore-Amiga dealers this wasn't the case..

-Don
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline DavidF215

• Show only replies by DavidF215
    • Cross Timbers Haven
Re: But Linux is free.
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2005, 09:14:39 PM »
@terminator: "As long as Linux is around in the server market, MS is going to be unable to charge what they think their commercial products are worth."

...or what Microsoft can gouge out from their monopoly position.

@terminator: "Linux is free. When you buy a commerical package, you are not paying for Linux, you are paying for the media, the packaging, and any additional materials the publisher supplies."

Linux is available for free; however, many companies pay for Linux services, so it's still not free. It's free only if you have employees to maintain it, but even that's not free because the company pays wages. It is cheaper, yes, but not free. The license is free, but that's all that is free.

@terminator: "Time for a reality check: At $10/install, Hyperion would be dropping development tommorrow. OS4 is included in the price of the A1 system. You buy an A1, you get OS4. If not, it may as well be free because the number of installs would exceed the number of legit copies. What's next? Demanding OS4 on floppies?"

I did say they *should* do it. It was merely an idea. However, I was making a point in what has been said in this thread regarding Linux being free. Since you (and others) think Linux is gaining ground because it is free, then AmigaOS could likewise gain grown if it was free according to the "Linux is free and that's why it's a threat to Microsoft" philosophy.

QNX was put on a 1.44MB floppy with TCP/IP, a web browser, webserver, and more goodies, so why not AmigaOS? BeOS was even better than Linux, but bad management killed Be off.

@DonnyEMU
I'll download AMOS and try it out. Don't know how well it'll do on my 1900+ AMD chipset.
AmigaOS enthusiast since 1993.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
I'll download AMOS and try it out. Don't know how well it'll do on my 1900+ AMD chipset.

It should run great, if you have a Nvidia gfx card (and a SBLive! sound card), then it will be brilliant!

Offline AmigaMac

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2005, 04:34:45 PM »
@Waccoon

Like it or not, PPC and non-secured filesystems are the future of Amiga -- because Hyperion either didn't think about the future, or didn't want to.

Not sure about the thoughts on the filesystem, but as far as PowerPC is concerned, Hyperion did very well to think about the future and the latest news on the Cell processor will attest to that phenomenon.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2005, 04:40:24 PM »

AmigaMac wrote:
@Waccoon

Like it or not, PPC and non-secured filesystems are the future of Amiga -- because Hyperion either didn't think about the future, or didn't want to.

Not sure about the thoughts on the filesystem, but as far as PowerPC is concerned, Hyperion did very well to think about the future and the latest news on the Cell processor will attest to that phenomenon.

Cell processor will attest to what? That Computer architecture is still plodding down the same old path?

Offline AmigaMac

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2005, 05:41:23 PM »
Cell processor will attest to what? That Computer architecture is still plodding down the same old path?

Old path?  Well if you consider PowerPC old, then I guess x86 falls under ancient (and eventually history)!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2005, 05:48:05 PM »

AmigaMac wrote:

Old path?  Well if you consider PowerPC old, then I guess x86 falls under ancient (and eventually history)!

"Cell" is just a flashy buzzword... it will take time before anything general purpose will come from it.

Offline AmigaMac

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2005, 05:53:41 PM »
"Cell" is just a flashy buzzword... it will take time before anything general purpose will come from it.

Sorta like "Extreme" under Intel's Pentium line moniker, nothing really exciting beyond the hype marketing that drives the name?!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2005, 05:55:58 PM »

AmigaMac wrote:

Sorta like "Extreme" under Intel's Pentium line moniker, nothing really exciting beyond the hype marketing that drives the name?!

Exactly... though more like their HT hype...

Offline AmigaMac

« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2005, 05:59:57 PM »
Exactly... though more like their HT hype...

True, true :-P

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2005, 10:11:25 PM »

bloodline wrote:

"Cell" is a phone  :lol:
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline DavidF215

• Show only replies by DavidF215
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2005, 04:19:18 PM »

bloodline wrote:

It should run great, if you have a Nvidia gfx card (and a SBLive! sound card), then it will be brilliant!

Yes, I have Nvidia. I have SoundBlaster 128, but it conflicts with my ASUS mobo, so I'm using that evil integrated sound that Amiga pioneered that everyone thought was too limiting. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to download AROS and test drive it; been busy last few evenings for some reason.
AmigaOS enthusiast since 1993.