Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?  (Read 17766 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« on: January 21, 2005, 08:01:27 AM »
Tomas:  ...it would take much longer time to both port software and the OS to the x86 platform.

How so?  The CPU is only a small part of the equasion.

OS4 does have a HAL, you know.  Did Hyperion spend years working on a HAL for OS4 just so it could run on Mia chipsets?

Tomas:  I do think it would make sense to choose certain chipsets, gfx and such to support if they go x86, and then maybe add some support for newer ones as time progresses.

Exactly.  But, people don't want to believe this is possible because their prejudice runs too deep.  People still think the will is more important than the way.

Choose one chipset to support at a time.  Make a partnership with a single PC manufacturer, as almost ANY one of them will have more manufacturing exerience than a company like Mia.  Put on some decent firmware to rid us of the 20-year old BIOS that must be programmed in assembler.

Flexibility of "open" PC hardware without worrying about Windows.  Problem solved.

Lempkee:  there is no way to support x86 unless u support ALL the motherboards

I am so sick of hearing that.  Just about every "alternative" OS in the world runs on x86 -- and others.  A good OS architecture doesn't care what hardware you use!

Lempkee:  if people thought the A1 bugs was annoying then you should check the x86 pc arena.

Yeah, but it's easier to find and resolve bugs since the hardware is more thouroughly tested and documentation is easier to obtain.

Have you even written software for x86 chipsets before?

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:04:18 PM »
I agree in some sense; I'm more bothered about other things that pure CPU speed.

Why is everyone getting excited about the Mac Mini, then?

Perceived speed is more important than actual speed.  To me, Windows "feels" lots faster than MacOS X, no matter how much better OSX may run under the hood.  Well, OK, I use Windows 2000.  That's about the fastest OS Microsoft ever made.  XP still feels faster than OSX, though.

Unfortunately, very few people know how to program in a way that increases perceived speed.  I doubt people ever will learn how to do it.  Even if the OS vendors do, the application programmers will not.

So what's a "typical" Windows application that taxes the latest CPUs?

Encoders and decoders, for some.  Wanna convert a whole ton of music to MP3's?  Video editing and photo manipulation is also becomming a killer app for many computers.  That needs number crunching.  Not everyone is going to run word processors.  The software market is evolving, too.

Most of the time the CPU sits around doing nothing, but home computers are still focused around bursts of peak performance.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »
Presumably either its low cost or small size. I didn't think anyone was excited because it's the fastest computer in existance.

In the threads about AmigaOne vs Mac Mini, speed seems to be the dominant issue.  People are willing to pay a lot for a new platform, but not at the performance the AmigaOne delivers.

And aren't mp3 encoders/decoders etc available for AmigaOS too? That's my point.

Aren't they for 486's and SPARC and Alpha, too?  What's your point?

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 09:10:19 AM »
I have a plan that I really believe will work if God permits.

Given the number of bugs on Earth, I'd say God uses Windows.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 06:25:14 AM »
mdwh2:  The original claim was that there is nothing on AmigaOS that takes advantage of fast CPUs.

So, it's perfectly acceptable to put in slow CPUs?

Just because AmigaOS has snappy screen refreshes doesn't mean consumers will tolerate low performance.  The reason why I mentioned codecs is because they are VERY CPU intensive and will not get a huge boost in performance due to the simplistic and unstable design of AmigaOS.  If you want to spend forever copying files from folder A to folder B, moving a web browser across the screen, or playing cheezy 2D puzzle games in a window, then that's fine.  But, most people living in the modern era want music, videos, multimedia, games... and that stuff needs lots of raw power that the current Amigas don't offer.

Nobody NEEDS a high performance CPU and graphics card, but if some other company does offer it, and Amiga doesn't, then it should be obvious what people will buy.  If people have a craving for underpowered hardware and vertical monopolization, they don't need Amiga... they already have Apple.

At some point, people thought the Atari Jaguar was fine because it had great 2D graphics, a superbly elegant architecture, was built by IBM, and had a budget price.  It didn't "need" a high performance CGI board and 3D graphics...

...of course, it was completely trampled by the PlayStation.   Sega's haphazard Saturn was, too, and the N64 wasn't exactly a super machine, either.

You could easily argue that game consoles don't "need" the capacity of a CD-ROM when you can write more intelligent code and use a cart, instead.  That certainly didn't work in Nintendo's favor, now did it?

Architecture is irrelevant.  It all boils down to value.

Bloodline:  I rather like the transputer idea, but it was a miserable failure for lots of reasons.

Namely, good compilers didn't exist, OSes didn't support multithreading, and doing it yourself was a huge pain.  The world just wasn't ready for super-computer type code on a home computer.

It really all has to do more with coding practices than hardware.  I sure hope Sony's dev tools for the PS3 don't suck anywhere near as bad as they did on the PS2.

terminator:  Just how long do you think it would survive in the MS sandbox?

Or anywhere else?  People need to stop kidding themselves.  Whether Amiga uses x86, PPC, or something else, Microsoft isn't just going to disappear.  We're in Microsoft's sandbox no matter what hardware we use.

Of course, if we use PPC, we're in Microsoft's sandbox, with Apple ready to take away our pail and shovel.

terminator:  People who keep whining on about this x86 issue just don't see the big picture.

Namely, that you obviously can't build an x86 system just for AmigaOS that won't run Windows.  The CPU is, of course, the only thing that matters in a computer.  The Mac is a completely original architecture that has nothing in common with those PCs and their evil, evil open standards.  Anyone who disagrees obviously has no idea what a brilliant idea it is to sell underpowered hardware for huge sums of money.

Many, many companies use the hard-a**ed business model Amiga uses, and they regularly go out of business.  People just don't learn.

terminator:  So an A1 costs more than a low end PC. Well, that's the price of admission. Don't like the price? Well, you are not obligated to buy a ticket.

Good point, but it seems a lot of Amiga users don't like the price of admission, either.  It wouldn't be so high if Amiga's business model involved branching out into new markets and focusing on software and killer apps, instead of trying to resell buggy, expensive hardware to die-hards just so they can run software that already runs on everything else:  Linux.

stefcep:  I have an A4000 with a CV64 and a Prelude and a zorro serial and parallel port and a Zorro IDE interface and a cyberstorm 060: i use none of the original custom chips including the 3.1 ROM and i would never go back to a vanilla A1200 except to play games.

Yup.  Isn't it ironic that the Amiga was based on the idea of coprocessors, but most post-Commodore software does everything on the CPU because the classic Amiga architecture is too damn old and slow?

And what is it with people complaining that an ATI GPU and an nVidia southbridge is not good enough?  This is the height of technology.  If you've got a bone to pick, try going after the insanely simplistic BIOS, ill-designed bootloaders, and Windows.  Of those three issues, the AmigaOne only solves one.  Oh yeah, and they're all software issues, too, so the hardware doesn't matter.

Think about it.  Whatever happened to the Early Startup Screen, and being able to boot off any device -- even RAM?  That's one thing I really miss about my A1200 that I wish my PC could handle.

But, no, screw the software.  PPC alone will obviously solve all our problems.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 12:02:53 AM »
terminator:  AmigaOS cannot coexist on the wintel platform with windows.

It's unfair to call it Wintel, because there are hundreds of OSes that run on x86.  Microsoft has a say in how the technologies are developed (they even play a big part in WC3 standards), but they don't own a patent on PC architecture and cannot control it completely.

Even XBox is not going to be a PC architecture, anymore.  Microsoft doesn't like to limit themselves to one platform, which is WHY they have been so successful, and others have failed.

As mdwh2 pointed out, Microsoft is expanding to the hand-held market, much of which does not use x86.

When you're on PPC you are not in the MS sandbox.

The whole PC market is Microsoft's sandbox, as is everyone else's.  Competition is not going to die no matter what Amiga releases.  That's life.

terminator:  They dominate x86. Do you think bill gates lays awake a night worrying about Apple's sales?

Absolutetly.  Bill's concern is to keep Apple from getting too large, but without Apple Microsoft would be a complete monopoly and the government would have to break up the company.  It's in Microsoft's best interest to keep Apple alive, which is why they invested so much money into Apple and write lots of software for the platform.

terminator:  MS has annihilated every other operating system that tried to exist in their sphere.

It's arguable that they killed themselves.  Note that today, there's only really two operating systems:  Windows and UNIX.  Everyone that has tried to make a new non-UNIX has died.  Everyone that had a proprietary system died after PC clones started gaining momentum.  Some even died before.

Besides, the most promising computers based on proprietary hardware, Amiga and Atari, were infamous for terrible management.  Apple almost went bankrupt, too, before Jobs took over the company and repackaged everything in pretty-looking cases, which nobody in the PC market had done before (or at least not very well).

terminator:  The CPU is everything right?

Nice to know you're as sharp at sarcasm as you are at economics.  :-)

terminator:  There isn't the time or the space here for an economics lesson either.

Of course, seeing how that's only the biggest problem with Amiga's plan for the future...

DonnyEMU:  Mac games most of the times come out later than windows, but still sell profitably.

Yup.  It still bugs me that there isn't more effort going into Mac software.  The market is smaller, but there's also less competition so it IS profitable.

DonnyEMU:   It wasn't until Atari with the ST came out and started UNDERCUTTING them that they released the A500.

Yup.  I recall that the AtariST was very cheap for the CPU power and memory it gave you, even if it couldn't compete with Amiga at a graphics level.

DonnyEMU:  Why did people buy Amiga software in the first place over the other machines out there? It probably wasn't the revolutionary market.

The Amiga was a fun computer when all the PC did was beep, and all the Mac did was leave no memory left over to do anything useful.

Today, PC's are a lot more fun, and if you want to really hack and code, there's Linux.  Amiga cannot afford to use 1980 marketing tactics, anymore.

DonnnyEMU:  Did you ever buy Amiga software in anywhere but a mail order or a place that sold software for other machines? Probably not.. There is a reason for this..

I used to buy my Amiga software from The Memory Location, which had PC's and Macs selling side-by-side.  Of course, that was back in 1989.

[EDIT:  PCs and Amigas, I meant.  When I asked a sales rep why they didn't sell Macs, they told me they didn't see the point with Amiga around.  After I got my A1200, they stopped selling Amigas, and they started selling Macs.  They lived for maybe another two years before closing.  Too bad.  They were nice people, and was the last store I've ever visited where they allowed you to open boxed software and try it out in the store!]

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »
JetFireDX:  Say it was something like a 3.5in drive form factor, with some small amount of hardware and the Amiga protected "rom" onboard that would only allow you to launch AmigaOS from any device IF this dongle was installed

I though the AmigaOne was already doing something like that.  You're right, though.  To pretty much guarantee that an OS will not work, you just have to change the BIOS.

I still feel more comfortable with a more standard BIOS, though.  The navigation menus used for AMI-BIOS/PHOENIX are much, much easier than typing out arcane commands in OpenFirmware, and deliver much more valuable information about the hardware.  I don't like the interfaces in OpenFirmware at all.  I haven't used u-boot, though.

JetFireDX:  2. An "Early Startup" menu

I believe all that stuff could be done with a bootloader, rather than an extention to the BIOS.  That's why it doensn't bug me that u-boot [from what I've heard] doesn't support multiple boot images on a CD.  You only really need one.

I miss real boot loaders.  If more than one bootable image is available, just ask the user which one they want to use, along with a "remember this setting" dialog.

Hammer:  The minor compatibility difference between 750FX and 750GX is also an issue that X86 desktop ISVs would not tolerate.

Wow.  Any idea what those compatibility issues are?

One thing I still find remarkable about the PC (if little else) is that you can still run DOS software written for a 386 on the Pentium4 EE.  If you can't, it's probably an issue with a sound card or something stupid like that.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 07:10:56 AM »
Bloodline:  I have used... it made me want to upgrade the os9 software to osX software... which makes good business sense, and perpetuates the platform

Yeah, that's my beef, too.  If it was cheaper for me to get an OS4 platform (hundreds and not a full thousand), it would be easy for me to start writing software for it, which is what Amiga really needs to survive.

All this talk about what hardware matters, and after we have it, still no software.  It's tough getting used to a new platform when companies are terrified of making anything available to developers because they're worried about piracy.  That's a sure-fire way to kill a platform.

Still, many Amiga software companies are out of business, so there's no way to get an OS4 native version of many apps.  Amiga users may enjoy OS4 as a way to run their old software faster, but there's little point making software for it, now.

Me, I do Java, Perl, and PHP.  I don't have to own a Mac or Linux to know that it will work.  :-)

I am so pissed over Amiga's inability to get DE out.  The SDK was a total joke with nothing but Java apps!

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 04:48:07 AM »
DavidF215:  Say what? Then why is Microsoft so concerned about it?

It probably has more to do with the distribution model than with Linux replacing Windows.  Much of the crap Microsoft does, like not letting you read your own hard drive with a boot disk, or trying to push their "trusted" content has more to do with power than piracy.  Refer to debates over the value of Palladium (excuse me...  "Next-Generation Secure Computing Base").

DavidF215:  They had all the games I would want

They never have the games I want!  :-x

I'd pick the A1200 because it boots faster than a P3 with Windows on it.

Yeah, it boots fast... and it has no memory protection, a sucky filesystem, no virutal memory...

OS4 corrects this somewhat, but it does boot slower than an A1200, you can't run it on a 1200 without lots of extra hardware, and boot-time is pretty stupid given that these computers might be running for eight hours straight.

Therse's a reason why most workstations and terminals run Win2000 instead of XP.  With Apache and MySQL turned off, my Win2000 system boots up in 20 seconds.  I'd say that's fast enough for the stability it provides than an A1200 does not.

DavidF215:  An A1200 with an 030 would still be cheap to manufacture for less than $200-$300, wouldn't it?

I'm afraid not.  Many expansion cards for Amigas cost more than PCs.  Just beause the parts are cheap doesn't mean it's easy to build.

Besides, I think it's obvious the reason why PCs boot and run slow is because of Windows.  Even a really old PC motherboard will blow away the highest-spec 68K design with the right software.  There's no more custom hardware coming.

DavidF215:  I wouldn't call Linux exactly free. It can be bought in many computer stores like Best Buy and CompUSA. And often times next to Windows XP.  So, I don't consider "it's free" as a major reason why Microsoft is afraid of it; I would agree that it is a (one) reason, but I don't think that is the primary reason why they are now compaigning against it.

You're not buying Linux, you're buying the distribution and the custom maintenance tools.

Linux is just a kernel, and GNU is the "UNIX compatible" layer.  Both are free, but many don't want to compile all the thousands of other "standard" tools by hand.

I think Microsoft is just afraid that more companies will start using Linux as a foundation for new OSes.  As a non-commercial product, Linux builds really can't compete with the ease of use and integration of Windows, at least in principle.  Free developers most definately don't have the same priorities of making things simple as commercial companies, even if they want to make it look that way.

Frankly, that's what I'm waiting for.  I want a new OS that starts with Linux, keeps the good stuff, fixes the bad stuff without worrying about maintaining compatibility with the other 50,000 "UNIX compatible" OSes, and has an entirely new desktop.

A half-baked OS made from scratch isn't going to cut it.  UNIX does have lots of flaws that need to be fixed, but it's a good starting point and has a good philosophy for making tools.

DavidF251:  And saying that x86 hardware is cheaper is not a good argument because as AmigaOS4 became more popular, then more demand for PPC solutions would drive the prices of PPC hardware down.

If DE had been released instead of OS4, we could use x86 now and switch to PowerPC later.  That's part of the "hardware is irrelevant" argument.  Some say that if hardware doesn't matter, we might as well use PPC.  It doesn't occur to them that with proper planning, you can switch CPUs easily.

After ten years, people still have a hard time understanding why Java is so damn popular, especially in the embedded market where CPUs are switched frequently.

DavidF215:  As a thought, Hyperion may ought to consider providing AmigaOS for free.

Oh, now you're really dreaming.  Amiga has to market the machine themselves to prove it's profitable before they can work with OEMs.

Besides, everyone knows the AmgiaOne is too damn expensive AND slow AND buggy.  At least most experimental computers, like BeBox, have some major advantage over the competition.  AmigaOne is way, way behind, and will likely stay there.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 05:00:01 AM »
DonnyEMU:  even OS 4 needs major improvements to fit properly in a multi-station environment

Yeah, Hyperion gave us this speech that OS4 is a single-user system and doesn't need all that multi-user stuff.  That stuff isn't just intended to let more than one person use a computer.  It's a complete framework for secure networking.  Not giving OS4 any muti-user capabilies is a big, big mistake, in the same way that Windows and Mac were very slow to realize the importance of networking and the Internet.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 02:37:57 AM »
Question...is it that Hyperion has no intention of ever adding these features, or is it that that much of an OS overhaul is simply too much work for getting into the OS4.0 release? Your message makes it sound like the former.

It's a little of both, but the official word from Hyperion is that OS4 is a single-user system, multi-user accounts aren't needed, and they are using security through obscurity.

To me, that sounds like they have no intention to add it, rather than it is too difficult, but your milage may vary.  My reasoning is that it's very difficult to add support for accounts later on, without making it a complete joke, a la Windows.  Given all the problems with today's systems, any new OS should make security a priority.

Besides, I can't believe that account security is that difficult to do, given that they already have UNIX/Linux to use as a template, and Amiga programs tend to be very well behaved compared to Windows programs (not dipping into the system folder, using config files instead of a system registry, writing files into their own folders instead of temp folders or other "special" directories defined by environment variables... etc.)

Not thinking about security now is much like getting hooked on PPC:  once you start a new platform with no legacy support, you're stuck with it.  Like it or not, PPC and non-secured filesystems are the future of Amiga -- because Hyperion either didn't think about the future, or didn't want to.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »
terminator:  As long as Linux is around in the server market, MS is going to be unable to charge what they think their commercial products are worth.

It's Linux moving out of the server market (cell phones, PDAs, anything a step closer to a desktop...), that has Microsoft scared.  So long as MS controls the desktop, they can charge what they want.

terminator:  Look at how much they charge for Office, since they have little competition.

The vast, vast majority of people who have Word don't really need it.  Practically every student at my college submit newspaper articles in Word format, even though they were just text documents with no special formatting.  Just about every place where I have ever worked had Word on every computer, and all they did was print out bulletins and memos.

Just use WordPad and RTF for that!  Geez...

It's sick, but that's what happens when managers buy computers that are then used by other people.  The people who buy software in business environments are rarely the people who use it.

Oh yeah, and our newspaper office was forced to upgrade Word every year, or we couldn't read new Word documents written on newer computers.  It was sick, and probably still works that way.

Also it's not just CPU speeds. AGA is way out of date - web browsing, word processing and spreadsheets are not as fun on 640x480. That's assuming you've paid the extra for one of those scandoublers to use a PC monitor, else you're stuck on 640x256 on a TV..

Yup.  Like I said earlier, the CPU is only one compnent on the board.  There's little sense putting on USB, Firewire, SATA, and PCI slots just to dump a moldy old 060 in there, and building an old fashioned low-spec machine puts you into the same bracket as the G3 AmigaOne:  you get much less power for the same price, or more, than a modern board made by the tens of thousands.

Yeah, I don't *need* my P4 2.4, but I only paid $300 for it and a top-tier motherboard, and I'm not replacing it with a board that has far, far less performance and older standards.

Ten years from now, will AmigaOne have decendants?  I think not.