Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?  (Read 17769 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« Reply #89 from previous page: January 26, 2005, 01:58:28 AM »
What exactly is great about the amiga custom chips? Slow and Low resolutions, poor sound quality, slow floppy...i think why the chips were good was because the architecture as a whole meant the chips could function independantly of the cpu, as happens with modern PC GPU's. I have an A4000 with a CV64 and a Prelude and a zorro serial and parallel port and a Zorro IDE interface and a cyberstorm 060:  i use none of the original custom chips including the 3.1 ROM and i would never go back to a vanilla A1200 except to play games.

The advantage of custom chips is more uniformity in the code that needs to be written to make the computer do something and hence more stability.  the disadvantage is obsalence and even slower hardware progress,

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:28 AM »

terminator wrote:
Just how long do you think it would survive in the MS sandbox?

It would be dead in minutes. Who in their right mind would waste time developing for an x86 version of OS4 when they may as well just release it for Windows.

Why would anyone buy anything for the x86 version of OS4, when they can buy almost anything at the local pc superstore, today.  Not 18 months from now.
Replace "x86" with "PPC" in what you wrote, and the same points apply.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2005, 06:25:14 AM »
mdwh2:  The original claim was that there is nothing on AmigaOS that takes advantage of fast CPUs.

So, it's perfectly acceptable to put in slow CPUs?

Just because AmigaOS has snappy screen refreshes doesn't mean consumers will tolerate low performance.  The reason why I mentioned codecs is because they are VERY CPU intensive and will not get a huge boost in performance due to the simplistic and unstable design of AmigaOS.  If you want to spend forever copying files from folder A to folder B, moving a web browser across the screen, or playing cheezy 2D puzzle games in a window, then that's fine.  But, most people living in the modern era want music, videos, multimedia, games... and that stuff needs lots of raw power that the current Amigas don't offer.

Nobody NEEDS a high performance CPU and graphics card, but if some other company does offer it, and Amiga doesn't, then it should be obvious what people will buy.  If people have a craving for underpowered hardware and vertical monopolization, they don't need Amiga... they already have Apple.

At some point, people thought the Atari Jaguar was fine because it had great 2D graphics, a superbly elegant architecture, was built by IBM, and had a budget price.  It didn't "need" a high performance CGI board and 3D graphics...

...of course, it was completely trampled by the PlayStation.   Sega's haphazard Saturn was, too, and the N64 wasn't exactly a super machine, either.

You could easily argue that game consoles don't "need" the capacity of a CD-ROM when you can write more intelligent code and use a cart, instead.  That certainly didn't work in Nintendo's favor, now did it?

Architecture is irrelevant.  It all boils down to value.

Bloodline:  I rather like the transputer idea, but it was a miserable failure for lots of reasons.

Namely, good compilers didn't exist, OSes didn't support multithreading, and doing it yourself was a huge pain.  The world just wasn't ready for super-computer type code on a home computer.

It really all has to do more with coding practices than hardware.  I sure hope Sony's dev tools for the PS3 don't suck anywhere near as bad as they did on the PS2.

terminator:  Just how long do you think it would survive in the MS sandbox?

Or anywhere else?  People need to stop kidding themselves.  Whether Amiga uses x86, PPC, or something else, Microsoft isn't just going to disappear.  We're in Microsoft's sandbox no matter what hardware we use.

Of course, if we use PPC, we're in Microsoft's sandbox, with Apple ready to take away our pail and shovel.

terminator:  People who keep whining on about this x86 issue just don't see the big picture.

Namely, that you obviously can't build an x86 system just for AmigaOS that won't run Windows.  The CPU is, of course, the only thing that matters in a computer.  The Mac is a completely original architecture that has nothing in common with those PCs and their evil, evil open standards.  Anyone who disagrees obviously has no idea what a brilliant idea it is to sell underpowered hardware for huge sums of money.

Many, many companies use the hard-a**ed business model Amiga uses, and they regularly go out of business.  People just don't learn.

terminator:  So an A1 costs more than a low end PC. Well, that's the price of admission. Don't like the price? Well, you are not obligated to buy a ticket.

Good point, but it seems a lot of Amiga users don't like the price of admission, either.  It wouldn't be so high if Amiga's business model involved branching out into new markets and focusing on software and killer apps, instead of trying to resell buggy, expensive hardware to die-hards just so they can run software that already runs on everything else:  Linux.

stefcep:  I have an A4000 with a CV64 and a Prelude and a zorro serial and parallel port and a Zorro IDE interface and a cyberstorm 060: i use none of the original custom chips including the 3.1 ROM and i would never go back to a vanilla A1200 except to play games.

Yup.  Isn't it ironic that the Amiga was based on the idea of coprocessors, but most post-Commodore software does everything on the CPU because the classic Amiga architecture is too damn old and slow?

And what is it with people complaining that an ATI GPU and an nVidia southbridge is not good enough?  This is the height of technology.  If you've got a bone to pick, try going after the insanely simplistic BIOS, ill-designed bootloaders, and Windows.  Of those three issues, the AmigaOne only solves one.  Oh yeah, and they're all software issues, too, so the hardware doesn't matter.

Think about it.  Whatever happened to the Early Startup Screen, and being able to boot off any device -- even RAM?  That's one thing I really miss about my A1200 that I wish my PC could handle.

But, no, screw the software.  PPC alone will obviously solve all our problems.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »

Waccoon wrote:
Bloodline:  I rather like the transputer idea, but it was a miserable failure for lots of reasons.

Namely, good compilers didn't exist, OSes didn't support multithreading, and doing it yourself was a huge pain.  The world just wasn't ready for super-computer type code on a home computer.

It really all has to do more with coding practices than hardware.  I sure hope Sony's dev tools for the PS3 don't suck anywhere near as bad as they did on the PS2.

Technology also had quite a lot to do with it... For the Transputer idea to work you needed several chips (ie more than one), but each Transputer chip cost around $800 and performed far worse on it's own than the $100-$200 68030 and 386 of the same era.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »
Can an A1 do the basics like....
browse the net,
rip a cd
play a dvd,
play mp3s,
play divXs,
play 3d games,
do wordprocessing?

Even a base uA1 with no expansion should be able to do that without raising a sweat.....What else could you want to do?
Surely, the speed can't be bad enough for me to notice a difference between an A1 and a high end PC. Am I really going to notice a computational speed difference? I really don't think so..
Although the G3 without Altivec has me worried when it comes to DVD playback. Is it an issue?

Ok. Going back to my happy place now.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2005, 04:01:46 PM »

BigBenAussie wrote:

Surely, the speed can't be bad enough for me to notice a difference between an A1 and a high end PC. Am I really going to notice a computational speed difference?

Get yourself a Cheap high end PC... or at least borrow one, before you ask that question.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2005, 04:05:54 PM »

BigBenAussie wrote:

Although the G3 without Altivec has me worried when it comes to DVD playback. Is it an issue?

No, Apple just brainwashed you in the days when clock speeds were low. :-)  A 300MHz G3 or similar grade of x86 should be able to handle playback acceptably (hardware MPEG never hurts)...  You'll notice the computational hit while rendering or encoding, but that's to be expected, and it may not be as bad as you think.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »
Speaking of Apple, Apple lowered their prices on Mac Mini optional hardware.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline terminator

• Show only replies by terminator
    • http://valleynet.on.ca/~michael
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2005, 09:02:07 PM »

mdwh2 wrote:

terminator wrote:

It would be dead in minutes. Who in their right mind would waste time developing for an x86 version of OS4 when they may as well just release it for Windows.

Why would anyone buy anything for the x86 version of OS4, when they can buy almost anything at the local pc superstore, today.  Not 18 months from now.

Would you wait 2 years to buy an Amiga version of a game, and pay $75 for it, when you can buy the windows version right now for $50?

If you answered yes, would you be willing to buy that title for $75 in 2 years, instead of buying the older, now discounted Windows version, which sells on the next rack for $30?

AmigaOS cannot coexist on the wintel platform with windows.  Windows will trump everything.  MS has annihilated  every other operating system that tried to exist in their sphere.  Those who tried to make money from an alternate OS in that ecosystem were eliminated.

(Linux is an exception, it isn't a commercial product, nor does it really have any traction outside of a few specialized zones.  It costs nothing but your time to install, so it's no big loss if you don't use it.)

Offline terminator

• Show only replies by terminator
    • http://valleynet.on.ca/~michael
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
terminator:  Just how long do you think it would survive in the MS sandbox?

Or anywhere else?  People need to stop kidding themselves.  Whether Amiga uses x86, PPC, or something else, Microsoft isn't just going to disappear.  We're in Microsoft's sandbox no matter what hardware we use.

Of course, if we use PPC, we're in Microsoft's sandbox, with Apple ready to take away our pail and shovel.

When you're on PPC you are not in the MS sandbox.  They dominate x86.  Do you think bill gates lays awake a night worrying about Apple's sales?

No, he could care less.  All he is interested is selling another copy of Windows.  The MacOS doesn't run on x86, therefore it is irrelevant.

terminator:  People who keep whining on about this x86 issue just don't see the big picture.

Namely, that you obviously can't build an x86 system just for AmigaOS that won't run Windows.  The CPU is, of course, the only thing that matters in a computer.  The Mac is a completely original architecture that has nothing in common with those PCs and their evil, evil open standards.  Anyone who disagrees obviously has no idea what a brilliant idea it is to sell underpowered hardware for huge sums of money.

Many, many companies use the hard-a**ed business model Amiga uses, and they regularly go out of business.  People just don't learn.[/quote]

The CPU is everything right?

So I should be able to run my PET programs on an Apple ][.  Right?  Or a VIC-20?

The CPU is only one part of a larger system.  There are issues like the memory mapping, I/O systems, etc.  Hence, the Apple ][, VIC-20, C-64, and even the PET, while running with a 6502 processor, are not compatible.

Even if you could add the UBoot to a PowerMac, it wouldn't work because you don't know anything about the system architecture.  And the people who do know are not telling.  If they wouldn't tell Be, what exactly are Hyperion's chances?

terminator:  So an A1 costs more than a low end PC. Well, that's the price of admission. Don't like the price? Well, you are not obligated to buy a ticket.

Good point, but it seems a lot of Amiga users don't like the price of admission, either.  It wouldn't be so high if Amiga's business model involved branching out into new markets and focusing on software and killer apps, instead of trying to resell buggy, expensive hardware to die-hards just so they can run software that already runs on everything else:  Linux.[/quote]

What separates the men from the boys is the cost of their toys.

There isn't the time or the space here for an economics lesson either.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2005, 09:23:01 PM »

terminator wrote:

People who keep whining on about this x86 issue just don't see the big picture.  

So an A1 costs more than a low end PC.  Well, that's the price of admission.  Don't like the price? Well, you are not obligated to buy a ticket.

I simply don't believe this, for several reasons..

1) the Apple Mac and MacOS (in it's various problems) have been around and continue to live in the face of overwhelming  Windows competition... Mac games most of the times come out later than windows, but still sell profitably.

2) The original Amiga 1000 sold a ton of machines before the   "low cost" version came out (i.e. the A500) and was positioned very well as a business and creative home solution and it was priced well above the Apple's and IBMs of the time. It wasn't until Atari with the ST came out and started UNDERCUTTING them that they released the A500..

3) Apple must think there is a market still there on the low end too, to release a "new" low end machine..

4) Why did people buy Amiga software in the first place over the other machines out there? It probably wasn't the revolutionary market. You can have the best hardware in the world and it won't sell without software behind it..  The simple fact is that it sold because of what the software let the machine do. Small time developers who weren't writing for the platforms of the day were gravitating towards it.. This could happen again, if the OS can still generate some unique software.

5)Did you ever buy Amiga software in anywhere but a mail order or a place that sold software for other machines? Probably not.. There is a reason for this..

I think people would look for an alternative platform that's  different from what they use at work, if the software was unique enough in a solution.. Also I think if AmigaOS ran on standard hardware, people might see it as a good alternative (provided the software support was there, which could happen over time). While people don't wanna change their hardware (that's why they may not be an A1) they are more likely to change their software if it works better..
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2005, 10:04:38 PM »

terminator wrote:

mdwh2 wrote:

terminator wrote:

Would you wait 2 years to buy an Amiga version of a game, and pay $75 for it, when you can buy the windows version right now for $50?

If you answered yes, would you be willing to buy that title for $75 in 2 years, instead of buying the older, now discounted Windows version, which sells on the next rack for $30?

AmigaOS cannot coexist on the wintel platform with windows.  Windows will trump everything.  MS has annihilated  every other operating system that tried to exist in their sphere.  Those who tried to make money from an alternate OS in that ecosystem were eliminated.

Your argument is totally irelevent.

You are saying that an Amiga owner would buy their Amiga and if it were not for the fact that their harware is obsolete and incompatible, they would drop AmigaOS as soon as they got it home... :roll: That's a lot of faith you have in AmigaOS, users have to be FORCED to use it.

Offline mdwh2

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2005, 10:35:47 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
mdwh2:  The original claim was that there is nothing on AmigaOS that takes advantage of fast CPUs.

So, it's perfectly acceptable to put in slow CPUs?
Note I wasn't the one making that claim, I was the one arguing against it. I generally agree with what you write here.

Offline mdwh2

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2005, 10:46:07 PM »

terminator wrote:
If I have a PC running Windows, I wouldn't wait. That applies whether the Amiga is on x86 *or PPC*.

If I don't have a PC running Windows, and I went out and bought an x86 PC to run AmigaOS x86, then it's unlikely that I would spend a load of money more on an OS, and then put up with all the hassles with dual booting.

Maybe yes, if I was that bothered about the game. But then in the scenario of a PPC Amiga, if I was that bothered about games I'd buy a separate Windows PC or console, buy games for that instead of the Amiga, *and* have the benefit that I don't have to faff about with dual booting.

(Linux is an exception, it isn't a commercial product, nor does it really have any traction outside of a few specialized zones.  It costs nothing but your time to install, so it's no big loss if you don't use it.)
Yes but there is commercial software available for it, and contrary to what you claim, people do buy Linux versions of things.

Ask yourself why is there so much interest in WINE to run Windows-only software, if it'd be so easy to reboot into Windows?

Microsoft have come out with the most popular OS not just in x86, but on computing as a whole. There exist two vaguely mainstream but still minority OSs, one of which is x86 and one is PPC. So I fail to see how we can say that nothing can survive on x86, but it's easy on PPC.

Offline mdwh2

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2005, 10:53:40 PM »

terminator wrote:
When you're on PPC you are not in the MS sandbox.  They dominate x86.  Do you think bill gates lays awake a night worrying about Apple's sales?
If he doesn't, it's because they aren't enough as a threat.

If people start moving from PCs to Macs in large enough numbers, he most certainly will lay awake worrying.

No, he could care less.  All he is interested is selling another copy of Windows.  The MacOS doesn't run on x86, therefore it is irrelevant.
That would be why Microsoft are trying to get Windows running on every single (non-x86) portable/mobile device out there.

Microsoft most certainly do care about more than the PC, especially since the market is reaching stagnation point (most people who want a PC already have one, and Windows is good enough for most people), and the future of computing is bound to include lots of non-x86 PC devices that still need an OS.

Good point, but it seems a lot of Amiga users don't like the price of admission, either.  It wouldn't be so high if Amiga's business model involved branching out into new markets and focusing on software and killer apps, instead of trying to resell buggy, expensive hardware to die-hards just so they can run software that already runs on everything else:  Linux.

What separates the men from the boys is the cost of their toys.

There isn't the time or the space here for an economics lesson either.
So you are quite okay that PPC may mean less users due to cost, indeed you thing that's a good thing?

But on the other hand, you are against x86 because you think it will mean less users?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2005, 10:59:19 PM »
What are people's reasons for buying / using Amiga anyway?

I mean, until you can define that, what the computer's niche or attaction is, how can you begin to define what is best hardware wise?

For me personally I use the amiga simply because I enjoy it. I get far more fun out of it than windows, linux and macos put together. They have their unique strengths, but to me, the rest are monolithic, dull, souless and uninteresting. OK, linux is probably the best of a bad bunch there.

I have to work with these systems. When I come home, if I want to have some fun with a computer, I will fire up my amiga. It is that simple. I guess that makes it an enthusiast machine in my case. If it has gone PPC, so be it. I'm not complaining - I get a fat kick out of it already and  have already paid a lot for the pleasure over the years. This is true of any "vice" if you think about it. If I need to upgrade to a PPC machine to continue my indulgence and that costs me more, then for the sake of my personal enjoyment I will do so. If it had gone x86, then great, I would have saved money too. Still, who can put a price on enjoyment?

If I want cheap and fast for work, I'll buy the bits and make a PC.

I appreciate that this is not a sentiment shared by everybody, so what about you lot?
int p; // A