Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?  (Read 17698 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Why not AmigaOS4 for x86 Platforms?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »

What are the only Computers in the World that don't crash?

Playstation 2
Playstation 1
Game Cube
N64
SNES
Genesis
XBOX

I've seen both a Playstation 1 and an XBOX crash :-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
@bloodline

Yes.....but thats extremely rare and is probably fault of cheap components.
Nevertheless no where near how Amigas now crash.

My point still stands
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 04:12:10 PM »
@Leirbag

So by your reasoning, an integrated motherboard for PC, complete with graphics and sound processors would count?

Ok, you need drivers still. That said, the amiga does use and require drivers for all of its onbooard hardware. What do you think .device and .library files are for?

It so happens that for the critical stuff (for IO, graphics etc) these files are in kickstart, so you don't need to load them from disk. That's not such an advantage anymore. Hell, if you are using OS3.5 or higher, and you have the rom updates installed, you already are using disk based replacements for many of these resources.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 04:15:30 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@bloodline

Yes.....but thats extremely rare and is probably fault of cheap components.
Nevertheless no where near how Amigas now crash.

My point still stands

Not really... Amiga's have always crashed... :-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
@Karlos

No not an integrated PC (they suck too)

An I DO NOT agree with SOFTWARE based ROM updates.I prefer HArdware Kickstart!

For instance in Next Gen Amiga...they can put a simple small trapdoor to change the ROM

....This actually proves part of my Point.........I have had more trouble with this OS3.5/3.9 ROM update than any other Amiga ROM

and about the drivers..........those drivers are mostly for Workbench itself and the ones for hardware....at least its always for its own native hardware.....which gives it more room for precise improvement!  thats VERY important.....rather than trying to figure out someone elses Hardware that you added to your computer.

os 3.1 on a plain A1200,.............Beauty!!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 04:20:42 PM »
os 3.1 on a plain A1200,.............Beauty!!!!

I prefer 1.3 on an A500 with a 512K ram pack.

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »
I've seen both a Playstation 1 and an XBOX crash

And my Plastation2 crashed just last week.. Its an old rev4 modded one though ;-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 04:22:51 PM »

The problem REALLY is...........that the AmigaONE is NOT a REAL Amiga!....

And a PC running OS4 is?

It should have been Amiga like (new custom chips and all) otherwise it would have beem better off ported to x86.............thats too late now.

OMG, sure yeah. A new chipset that would be a cinch. One that is a rival to modern sound/gfx/io chipsets :lol:

How long would that take, and how much would it cost? And by the time you did make a new chipset to rival even a mid range modern graphics/sound/io chipset, how far would they have moved on?

Furthermore, why would anybody do that when you can let them install the 'custom chips' of their choice? Why do you think PC hardware has become so advanced anyway? One word. Competition.

You need to realise that sound cards, graphics cards etc. *are* the custom chips of our age. The original amiga custom chips were fantastic in their day and even now are in many respects more flexible than their descendants. However, now in 2005, they are simply quaint. If you can't or won't accept this, then be prepared to be left further and further behind.
int p; // A

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 04:23:07 PM »
@bloodline

"Not really... Amiga's have always crashed... "

------------------------------------------------------

Yeah!  once you started adding 3rdparty stuff!

They rarely crash when the machine is made correctly and 3rd parties follow Commodores guidlines...or at the very least Crash much less

We used to run with this in the past and laugh at how much Windows used to crash and how our Amigas didnt or rarely did.............thats at least better than today.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 04:27:47 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
@Karlos

No not an integrated PC (they suck too)

An I DO NOT agree with SOFTWARE based ROM updates.I prefer HArdware Kickstart!

So, do you use an MMU to remap the Kickstart into RAM, or do you, preferring your hardware Kickstart allow the CPU to sit around twiddling it's thumbs when it needs to call a ROM based routine?

If you do use a remapper then you are a fraud - there is no difference at all between a RAM based rom code loaded from a chip or from disk :-P

For instance in Next Gen Amiga...they can put a simple small trapdoor to change the ROM

Bad move. My early Apollo1240 card has a 'replacable' ROM. And what a total nightmare it is. I have never had such a problematic expansion in my entire life.

....This actually proves part of my Point.........I have had more trouble with this OS3.5/3.9 ROM update than any other Amiga ROM

3.5 works an absolute charm on my 1200T, as does 3.9 and 4.0. So ya boo sucks to you :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 04:28:48 PM »
You need to realise that sound cards, graphics cards etc. *are* the custom chips of our age. The original amiga custom chips were fantastic in their day and even now are in many respects more flexible than their descendants. However, now in 2005, they are simply quaint. If you can't or won't accept this, then be prepared to be left further and further behind.

Commodore's biggest mistake... Not selling the Amiga custom chips as Graphics and Sound boards for PCs... That would have been a huge source of revenue, and allowed the Amiga technology to develop :-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »
@Karlos

How long would that take, and how much would it cost?
-------------------------------------------------------

it take alot less time than it took for this A1 to be released
and the mysterious OS4......thats for Sure!

"And by the time you did make a new chipset to rival even a mid range modern graphics/sound/io chipset, how far would they have moved on?"
-----------------------------------------------------------

It would survive alot longer than an A1 G3.......look at the PS2 and Xbox.....how long has PS2 been out and still kicking? hahahaha th New iMac that was just released will kill any AmigaONE anyway.

"Furthermore, why would anybody do that when you can let them install the 'custom chips' of their choice?"
--------------------------------------------------------

then get a PC for that..thats what those trashy machines are for. and thats why they are trash..............cant even run anything correctly....always always always freezing and causing headaches..............no no no.............I dont agree my friend

"One word. Competition."
------------------------------------

Amiga will never have Competition with a PC.especially now

"The original amiga custom chips were fantastic in their day and even now are in many respects more flexible than their descendants. However, now in 2005, they are simply quaint. If you can't or won't accept this, then be prepared to be left further and further behind."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Whos talking about OLD custom chips? I certainly aint....im speaking of an entirely New Genration custom chipset as standard....................socketed so that they can be upgraded by the parent comapny Amiga Inc................just like the Enhanced Chipset and AGA................except they would be much more advanced................and you saving tons of cash cuz your just changing the chips......you can channel that extra cash in your pocket for the Chips................and Amiga Inc pumping more money into the 2nd set of More SUPER powered Custom Chips would justify it...............cuz every Amigan has the same machine!!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 04:36:47 PM »
then get a PC for that..thats what those trashy machines are for. and thats why they are trash..............cant even run anything correctly....always always always freezing and causing headaches..............no no no.............I dont agree my friend

eh?

You've been standing too near the microwave again... :crazy:

Whos talking about OLD custom chips? I certainly aint....im speaking of an entirely New Genration custom chipset as standard....................socketed so that they can be upgraded by the parent comapny Amiga Inc................just like the Enhanced Chipset and AGA................except they would be much more advanced................and you saving tons of cash cuz your just changing the chips......you can channel that extra cash in your pocket for the Chips................and Amiga Inc pumping more money into the 2nd set of More SUPER powered Custom Chips would justify it...............cuz every Amigan has the same machine!!!!

Games Console Chipset take millions to develop... Microsoft and Nintendo decided to use modified PC chips instead...

You can't socket chips like that... as Chip tech improves... so the supporting architecture needs to be improved to handle higher speeds and more signals...

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 04:43:02 PM »
@bloodline

"Games Console Chipset take millions to develop... Microsoft and Nintendo decided to use modified PC chips instead..."
-----------------------------------------------------------

hmmm, they do?  how was Hi Toro able to do it? and even if they pumped Millions into it..........wasnt the A1000 worth it?  lok at the Following Amiga has now thanks to that.  Sometimes sacrifices are way more than worth it. Pump in the money I say if it needs to be...though I dont agree with you.

"You can't socket chips like that... as Chip tech improves..."
--------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you can!..never say never, you will look bad in the future for saying so.

"so the supporting architecture needs to be improved to handle higher speeds and more signals..."
------------------------------------------------------------

Have as many things on the Mobo be replacable including crystals.....................or..................its time for a New Amiga to be released............in the same line as was an A1200 to the A500.............very simple, and people will appreciate it.

EDIT:

And keep in mind..............any new G5 Amiga to be released will have a much longer life than any Mac or PC and doesnt need to be upgraded for more speed the way PC and Mac do.............its a silly game................and because Amigas are always faster because of its OS.....so it will have a longer life per release of system.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 04:49:17 PM »
And keep in mind..............any new G5 Amiga to be released will have a much longer life than any Mac or PC and doesnt need to be upgraded for more speed the way PC and Mac do.............its a silly game................and because Amigas are always faster because of its OS.....so it will have a longer life per release of system.

The "Long Life" of the Amiga models is due to lack of demanding software, nothing else.

hmmm, they do? how was Hi Toro able to do it? and even if they pumped Millions into it..........wasnt the A1000 worth it? lok at the Following Amiga has now thanks to that. Sometimes sacrifices are way more than worth it. Pump in the money I say if it needs to be...though I dont agree with you.

The Amiga Cost over well 7 million, and over 3 years dev time, You don't have the luxuary of 3 years now, modern systems have a 6 month life cycle... and it will cost a  lot more than 7 million.

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 21, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
@leirbag28:

Well, let me just say this. If there's ever going to be the next DoomMaster, you my friend are currently in the lead for that position.