Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DRAGON ColdFire FAQ  (Read 4725 times)

Description:

Offline jdiffend

• Show all replies
Re: DRAGON ColdFire FAQ
« on: January 13, 2005, 07:34:12 PM »
I should point out that the soonest the board will be available is the end of January (which I'd doubt).
They are also asking a pretty high price for it if you ask me.  Sounds like a 300% markup or more.

Offline jdiffend

• Show all replies
Re: DRAGON ColdFire FAQ - photos, compability ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:38:42 PM »
Even if they have a board that *appears* to be ok hardware wise they can't be sure till they have a working OS.   And trust me... they can't make it work without major mods to the current OS... and that takes time.
They might be fishing.  Just checking to see the level of interest in the product.

Offline jdiffend

• Show all replies
Re: DRAGON ColdFire FAQ
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »
BTW, the MCF5475 has a built in PCI controller... so adding PCI slots would be easy with this chip.

AGP however is a modified PCI slot and I don't know how easy it would be to add the circuit to adapt the internal PCI interface to it.

Offline jdiffend

• Show all replies
Re: DRAGON ColdFire FAQ - photos, compability ?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:39:52 AM »
Ok, adapting the built in PCI interface to AGP involves some signal and voltage switching and is definately possible.  Gigabyte is doing this on one of their motherboards, the GA-8I915P Duo-A and they are calling a G.E.A.R. slot.

And on page 17 of it's manual it warns that it's a temporary solution until PCI Express X 16 cards become available because it may shorten the life of AGP cards.

Which raises the question... so did they just adapt the AGP port to the PCI buss like Gigabyte or did they do it separate from the built in PCI controller?  If they just added the AGP to the PCI buss controller it might not be a good thing.