Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worms Nostalgia  (Read 2719 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: Worms Nostalgia
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 08, 2003, 06:14:29 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
 :-PLooks like my friend Keith had a better pentium than yours :-P

Not that, that's anything to gloat about. :-D

Nice none political thread this isn't it? :-?  :-)

I bought the miggy version for my A500 but the sound didn't work so I took it back. I'd have thought with games like Valhala around that a standard A500 with a Meg should be able to run this, no trouble. It wasn't all that graphically complex.

Worms was very limited on 1MB machines.  You really needed 2MBs to play it properly.  I'll probably get kicked in the head for saying this, but the PC version (I'm talking about the original here) was waaaay better than the Amiga version.  As i said before, I never played DC so I don't know about that.

Worms 2 saw an amazing leap in minimum requirements, most of which was probably down to being a win95 program :-(

Offline Mike_AmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 06:32:28 PM »
:ranting:Only ever played the first version of Worms. Could you edit the sound set on the Amiga version or was it only for PCs?

:ranting:That aspect of the game kicked @$$!

:ranting:Bought it to a whole new level!

The people at Apple really need to sort out the graphical display problems on Safari, animated smilies and avatars are getting boarders appearing in certain frames. :-o
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2003, 12:10:59 PM »
I played the original for a while, then my brother got DC. DC kicks butt.

More weapons (including the holy handgranade)

Editable sounds (not sure if thats possible on the first)

AGA graphics

Its a damn good game. Shame it doesn`t like my Punchinello Mk3 + Logitech optical mouse. I have to use joypad, which really sucks! :cry:

Offline uncharted

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2003, 12:33:31 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
:ranting:Only ever played the first version of Worms. Could you edit the sound set on the Amiga version or was it only for PCs?

:ranting:That aspect of the game kicked @$$!

:ranting:Bought it to a whole new level!

The people at Apple really need to sort out the graphical display problems on Safari, animated smilies and avatars are getting boarders appearing in certain frames. :-o

Well the samples were just iff files, you could probably change them with your own ones (you could use the french and german settings as different sound sets).  There wasn't any possiblity of having different sets for different teams like the PC version.

TBH I think the original version on the Amiga suffered from the A500 syndrome, where the game ABSOLUTELY had to run on a 1MB A500, even at the cost of features and gameplay, this is partially what killed the Amiga games market towards the end.

As for Safari I'm just pissed off theat it won't let me change back to IE as a default browser (even though I told it not to change in the first place) :-x

Offline chris

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2003, 02:25:05 PM »
A few points:

1. Don't make Worms downloadable unless you have permission from Team17

2. WormsDC also had the ability to create your own landscapes (randomly generated ones, as well as the IFF bitmap versions you could do in the original).  I don't think this has been possible in any of the PC versions.

3. Worms better on the PC???!  The graphics were worse, the sound was worse (IIRC).  Sorry, the Amiga version wins hands down.

4. Yes, I think you are right about A500 syndrome.  This is presumably the reason for WormsDC - to make a version of Worms without the restrictions of the A500

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline uncharted

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2003, 06:08:36 PM »

chris wrote:

2. WormsDC also had the ability to create your own landscapes (randomly generated ones, as well as the IFF bitmap versions you could do in the original).  I don't think this has been possible in any of the PC versions.

3. Worms better on the PC???!  The graphics were worse, the sound was worse (IIRC).  Sorry, the Amiga version wins hands down.

2. The orginal PC version allowed for custom random landscapes as well as hand drawn landscapes (in PCX format)  The main difference with the PC version was that you didn't have to wait for the landscapes to be drawn (they generated instantly)

3. Erm I don't know how you get this, comparing the original versions of both Amiga and PC, the PC version was far supirior - 256 colour GFX compared with 32, CD soundtrack, extra game modes, better sounds (and seperate sets for different teams), landscape zooming. and backgrounds other than the mountains (which IIRC could be user defined). The gfx may look blockier on the PC, but that's only because they are displayed on a proper monitor rather than a TV.  Try playing worms via UAE in fullscreen and see how good it looks then.

Most other 2D games that came out for both Amiga and PC, Amiga would win hands down, but in this case it doesn't.

Offline chris

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2003, 06:32:02 PM »

uncharted wrote:
2. The orginal PC version allowed for custom random landscapes as well as hand drawn landscapes (in PCX format)  The main difference with the PC version was that you didn't have to wait for the landscapes to be drawn (they generated instantly)

Okay, didn't know that.  Probably it generating instantly is more down to the processor speed than anything else.

3. Erm I don't know how you get this, comparing the original versions of both Amiga and PC, the PC version was far supirior - 256 colour GFX compared with 32, CD soundtrack, extra game modes, better sounds (and seperate sets for different teams), landscape zooming. and backgrounds other than the mountains (which IIRC could be user defined). The gfx may look blockier on the PC, but that's only because they are displayed on a proper monitor rather than a TV.  Try playing worms via UAE in fullscreen and see how good it looks then.

Hmm... I admit I didn't pay too much attention to it (the original Worms for the Amiga had different backgrounds as well btw, WormsDC allowed you to customise them along with the landscapes), maybe it was just the low resolution and the monitor.  I have UAE on this machine so I might try what you suggest.[/quote]
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz