Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga A1200 green screen after extensive repairs  (Read 1521 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

Amiga A1200 green screen after extensive repairs
« on: October 23, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
My Amiga A1200 recently came back from a repairer after being rained on through a skylight and having a thorough refurbishment including re capping, replacing the broken RGB port and checking that everything was working again after being rained on and ending up covered with gunk. I didn’t actually see the state of the motherboard myself because I never managed to remove the RF shielding. This rusty shielding has now been removed.

Unfortunately, after setting up, then using my Amiga A1200 for only about two hours after these repairs, all of a sudden the screen went bright green!

At the time, the things that were attached to my Amiga were an 8Mb RAM expansion from Amigakit, an IDE extension cable and CF card, as well as a very old 1970s style Atari joystick and a Gotek which didn't have any USB stick plugged into it.

I soon found a thread on a forum about this green screen which said it was a RAM error. I followed their advice to disconnect as many things as possible. I unplugged the CF HDD replacement, but that didn’t work. I ended up by disabling the RAM expansion with a jumper, then removing the expansion altogether, but nothing I did would stop the green screen from being displayed! I didn't unplug the Gotek.

I’ve recently started attending meetings at a repairs workshop where they’ve mentioned surface mount technology and they’re even trying to repair an ancient looking toaster.

It seems that the worst case scenario is for me or someone else to open my Amiga A1200 case again, locate the RAM chips on the motherboard, desolder them, then replace them with working RAM chips, but I don’t know how I could check in advance that they’re working.

There may be more simple techniques for curing this problem. What should I do next?

Re: Amiga A1200 green screen after extensive repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
I already know it's the Chip RAM at fault because I removed the Fast RAM! Why should I waste money on diagnostic ROMs which I don't even know how to use?

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
My Amiga A1200 has only just been returned from a repair job which lasted nearly 2 months and two weeks. Do you really think I want to send it away again straight after that?!

I don't know which chip is causing the problem. The next stage is to open up my Amiga again and find out if I can see anything obvious. I can also take some pics and post them on here to find out if anyone can see anything wrong with it.

I've been involved with a repairs workshop, which should be able to help me.

What makes you think I've got an EPROM flasher or that I know which chips are compatible with Diagrom? I see that these Diagroms are sold on eBay anyway!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
My A1200 has already had extensive repairs. I've sent an email to the repairer and had a reply. This basically says that no one can repair it unless they know about Amigas in particular. The repairer has given me a one year guarantee, but this will be voided if anyone else works on the board.

My plan now is to unscrew the casing, take a few pics, looking for anything that may have fallen onto the board, take some pics, then send them to the repairer. After this, I may have to send my Amiga A1200 back to him. I've just asked him how long I may be without it.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:33:01 PM by AmigaBruno »

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 05:02:43 PM »
I got an Amiga A1200 computer because it's full 32 bit, and it has a lot more colours than the Amiga A500 or Amiga A2000. I originally started with an Amiga A500. I like to do artwork, so I can use the extra colours and screen modes using Deluxe Paint versions with AGA. There are also AGA games which the Amiga A500 and Amiga A2000 can't run, so how are they better? The lack of Commodore publicity and marketing for the A600, A1200, and A4000 in the USA is why they didn't sell many of those computers there. I've also seen some episodes of the series "The Computer Chronicles" and read some articles where they  were talking about the Apple II, IBM PC and compatibles, and Apple MacIntosh as "standards" in the USA and people didn't want any more computers added to that line up. THe Amiga A1200 isn't a clone, because it was made by the same company as the older Amigas and can run the same software, so long as the software followed the guidelines published by Commodore Amiga Inc. The boards were designed to be repaired, but originally came with technical support in case they broke down. Nowadays SMT boards are more common or even normal.