Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga A1200 green screen after extensive repairs  (Read 1496 times)

Description:

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show all replies
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: Amiga A1200 green screen after extensive repairs
« on: October 23, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
If you can get hold of some diagnostic roms, that will tell you if its chip ram at fault.
Diagoroms can boot using fast ram from ram card even if chip ram is faulty.

Other than that, as you said replace the ram.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Show all replies
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 09:33:12 AM »
I already know it's the Chip RAM at fault because I removed the Fast RAM! Why should I waste money on diagnostic ROMs which I don't even know how to use?

Use Diagroms, to see which chip is faulty. It still may of course not be the chip ram. As other things related to chip ram can give green screen.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Show all replies
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:48:35 PM »
Why are you being aggresive. We are just offering advice on what to do/try.

As its also been subject to water damage, the fault could also be any where. I remember repairing a laptop, which had been submerged in water.
It was left to dry out completely, upon testing it, it would not post. No water was visable, person ended up scrapping it.
3 months later, stipped it down, for something to do, removed CPU and low and behold, there was water trapped in socket. Cleaned it up and it booted and worked perfectly.

This is just another example of what it could be, remember yours is not a common break down or cap leakage.
Maybe there is still some water ingress, may sound crazy, but in my example, after 3 months of being sat there, there was still water under CPU.
Your may have some ingress under one of the chips, who knows until its looked at.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:49:58 PM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Show all replies
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »
Wow, Im at a lose.

A600, A1200 and A4000 are garbage. Completely disagree.
If you can't repair SMT tech, thats no reason to condem it. It wasn't poor design by commodore, its was new poorly developed caps. Remember SMT caps were a new thing at that time. These leak and cause 95% of the faults seen on these machines. Unfortunately the OP's board had been RAINED on. Not sure how you can put that down to poor quality. Send me all your boards, I will fix them if you think they are garbage.

Its not Americans never wanted them, we all know it was down to marketing. Europe had people like Dave Pleasence, who gave us the awesome packs.
In europe it was just marketed better.

Why not get yourself an Amiga 500 or Amiga 2000?  They are much better made and are higher quality.  Do you actually NEED an Amiga 1200?  If so, why?  Remember, the Amiga 500 and 2000 computers are real Amiga computers.  The Amiga 1200 is an Amiga clone.  SMT boards are not meant to be repaired.  When one goes bad you are suppose to throw it into the garbage and buy a new one.  When my Amiga 1200 computers go bad, I will dump them on eBay.  I will not waste my time repairing them.  Especially when I have Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000 computers.  If they go bad, I repair them, because they are worth repairing.  But, so far, I have NEVER had any problems with any of my Amiga 500 or Amiga 2000 computers.  These computers have the high quality thru-hole motherboards, and they are built to last.  They also have higher quality disk drives and power supplies.  I have often said this, but, nobody seems to listen:  The Amiga 600, 1200, and 4000 computers are poorly designed, low quality pieces of garbage.  Why do you think Americans refused to buy them.  So, Commodore was forced to sell them to the European market.  Remember, the Amiga 500 and the Amiga 2000 was Commodore's number one selling and most popular Amiga models, and most of them were sold in the United States.  So, my advice is, throw that Amiga 1200 computer into the trash dumpster.  Then buy an Amiga 500 or an Amiga 2000 computer.  Trust me, you will be glad you did.   :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 01:01:08 PM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"