Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A3000D Boot Issues  (Read 5453 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: A3000D Boot Issues
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:04:34 AM »
When dealing with wonky clock/SCSI issues on a 3000, a good first step is SetBatt. Use the amnesia option to clear/reset the settings.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
It just means that LUNs are disabled - perfectly normal, and the preferred running mode for almost all cases. LUNs are sometimes used on multi-CD changers and on SCSI multi-card readers (a different LUN for each slot). Enabling them adds complexity and slows down scanning the bus, so keep them off unless you have a specific use case that requires them.

What you want to do is clear the memory loss condition - I think it's "SettBatt amnesia". If that's not the correct argument, run "SettBatt ?" to get a list. The right argument will be obvious. :)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »
Cheers Matt.

I got it working! Booted using the Gotek. Ran SetBatt A. Powered off. Reconnected the SCSI drive. Booted using the Gotek with Install 3.1 and then used HDTools to reconfigure the SCSI drive. Rebooted and bingo my Workbench and Work partitions are back. Just need to reinstall the OS and should be back in business. 

Thanks to all on the thread that helped me! Very much appreciated.

Weed

Ah, but the fun part comes when you reinstall all the expansion boards! Hope that all goes well, too.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »
3.1.4 will run on a 3.1 ROM at the expense of some RAM - it has to kick in some module updates just like 3.9. There are rumors that 3.2 is imminent, so you may want to wait for that instead of going for 3.1.4.

That said, any of 3.1, 3.9, or 3.1.4 are good choices. I think you're right that 3.9 makes the most sense for now, especially since you have it on hand. 3.1.4 includes most of the improvements from 3.9, but not all of them, but does have additional bugfixes and improvements of its own. Ultimately, though, there's no wrong answer here.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:11:18 PM »
So it looks like the internal SCSI controller is misbehaving... Hmmm.... Could the drive be dying? Can you reseat the SCSI chip? Do you have an external terminator on the end of the chain? I'm leaning hard toward it being a termination/bus issue...

The Picasso II problems might be explained by the GVP card. Your Zorro II address space is over the 8MB limit. With 8MB on the GVP card and 2MB on the Picasso you're going to run into problems of some sort or another. Set the GVP card to 4MB of RAM and maybe you'll be back to normal (fingers crossed).

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 06:05:58 PM »
What's the revision of your onboard SCSI chip?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 04:14:01 AM »
Also, taking a lesson from a slightly similar EAB thread about SCSI issues: make sure *all* socketed chips on the motherboard are properly seated.