Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Os 3.2 development preview  (Read 138451 times)

Description:

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Os 3.2 development preview
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
Well, no scrollbars on the Shell, but at least it's not topaz/8 anymore. ;D

The following users thanked this post: kamelito, gdonner

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
Hm, if the pic shows the real preferences, than it looks like one can add own 'variables/numbers' to the WB screen title, as the 'update' suggests...  ???

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
No backsies, i got my point! :P

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:26:04 PM »
I think the GUI should be usable with ROM-only toolkits. Prefs can always be made later with Reaction/MUI/Feelin or else, as long as informations on the filetypes used are provided. It is IFF after all, and interchangability requires knowledge of the format, obviously.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
True, but the title parser has become quite large in the meantime. That’s why I’m moving „once per boot“-stuff like version wildcards into workbench‘s initialisation code right now. The title parser was originally written with PPCs in mind, not 7MHz 68k.

It is not a simple formatstring (%a,%b,%c) kindof thing?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 03:29:32 PM »
I see. How much space is left in the ROM if any, after all those improvements?

Btw, what about that DDoS on Frank Mariak, whois in?  (just kidding, of course);)

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »
What i meant was it should be possible to run the normal Prefs, Tools, Utilities from a really basic level of startup, like the initial CLI. If you beefup your installation to a high-res RTG Workbench, of course you also want nice GUIs everywhere.
But sometimes it is welcomed to just have a simple GUI without throwing Assigns around and install libraries to every tools disk you have.
I only mentioned this because Thor is known to be a great fan of getting rid of the ROM altogether. ;D
I think the GUI should be usable with ROM-only toolkits.
If content of SYS:Classes was moved to SYS:Libs, I bet you wouldn't even know...

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »
Will there be an integrated virtual memory solution someday?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Or maybe an all-in-one Prefs-Launcher similar to the Mac OSX one, or MorphOS, same kind.

Possibly bubbob42 is already working on such thing, as he stated a suspicious line on EAB
I just had a similar problem because I wanted to exchange gadgets in a window depending on the item selected in a listview gadget (which itself would stay visible all the time. Here’s what I did:
;) :o

I remember a 'Registry'-style preferences tool back in the days, dunno, if this was ever considered to be adapted. 'Registry' meaning all prefs' IFF chunks in one big prefs file together.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:19:13 PM by TribbleSmasher »

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
Yes, but the latter only holds 232 Bytes with limited information and not in a flexible format. While now one could bundle several chunks of all kinds together, making even different combinations of setups easily manageable.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
Or maybe an all-in-one Prefs-Launcher similar to the Mac OSX one, or MorphOS, same kind.
Or OS 1.x
Actually, this is not the same.
WB1.x has only one Prefs editor (I think pointerprefs is just merged in or so) . OSX and MOS have several separate editors, called Panes (OSX) that are loaded when clicked.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
Can you or Thomas could give us some insight what actually is planned in this release?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
As been told at  A34 last weekend, you are presumably running out of version numbers. Will that be the end of development or do you have a solution for this case, if correct?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
I refered to the possible clash with already existing version numbers, e.g. for OS4+, which is v50 i believe?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 10:44:46 PM »
@Thomas Richter
thanx for your response.
I'd like to suggest a feature. Can you add a tool/functionality that shows which program holds a lock onto a file or directory saving the afore mentioned from being altered/deleted?