Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Update on AmigaOne A1222  (Read 22818 times)

Description:

Offline bison

• Show all replies
Re: Update on AmigaOne A1222
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
Quote from: BCP;817292
@Iggy
Asthetically, Windows Vista is the best looking version of Windopws.

I think the same.  This is all subjective and a matter of taste, but IMO Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 are quite ugly.  I can see some of the appeal of the flat look, but I think even recent versions of mac OS have taken this too far (the close/minimize/zoom icons, for example).  I prefer subtle gradients, highlights, and shadows.

Amiga OS 4.x is maybe too close to Windows XP, but all they have to do is dial that back just a bit and not go entirely flat.  It still looks pretty good, considering how long it's been out there without visual change.
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner

Offline bison

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:34:15 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;817300
I like the clean look of BeOS.  and Haiku too.  Too bad BeOS failed and Haiku seems to not get past Alpha stages.

Amiga OS is decent but could use a little spicing up.

TJ

Yes, I just looked at the screenshot of Haiku on Wikipedia, and it is very clean and modern, without being too flat.  I'm not sure if Haiku is an exact pixel-by-pixel reproduction of the BeOS interface, but it doesn't look out of place among more modern UIs.  BeOS was ahead of it's time, maybe a little to far to be successful.  It reminds me of Amiga in that respect.

Offline bison

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
Quote from: BCP;817302
@Bison
At least with OS4.1 you can go into GUI Preferences & change the appearances (3D, ZEN or FLAT) which is more than you can with Windows or Mac OS.

What does ZEN look like?  I googled around, but couldn't find anything.

I've debated buying a copy of AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and running it on FS-UAE, but at this point I'm holding out for an A1222.  Which brings this thread back on topic. :)

Offline bison

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Quote from: JimmiG;817409
If you're curious and want to "preview" 4.1, it's very cheap to buy and try it under emulation before you decide whether it's worth buying actual hardware for. I'm running it in WinUAE, and it's surprisingly capable, especially with the UAE display driver. Not enough RAM and speed for heavy websites and apps, and no 3D acceleration of course, but you get a good "feel" for it.

Still a bit interested in the A1222, though my interest is kind of dropping off the longer it takes.

My interest in the A1222 is kind of morbid -- I think it might be the last Amiga, and I don't want to miss out on that, having been there at the beginning.  It sort of bookends everything.

Even so, I'm hoping for a successful jump to another architecture and a continuance of Amiga. I am aware of the enormous legal and technical obstacles that make this unlikely, but ... never give up! :)