Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Masjsta's A500 Vampire  (Read 2519 times)

Description:

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
Re: Masjsta's A500 Vampire
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;814415
And as there are a lot of missing features and they are talking about charging for new features then sure.

Why not? They are the only people doing amiga fpga accelerators right now, but it's certainly not unthinkable that the fpgaarcade/mist etc would lead to accelerators.

It's cool sure, but don't get sucked in thinking they were the only ones that could do this & 150 mips? Great for an Amiga, but a raspberry pi still blows it away at a fraction of the price. It's a product with a very small audience, so they'll never get good price breaks. Which is unfortunate.

An A1200 accelerator coupled with a "not an A1200" motherboard from Jens would go on my wish list, but it appears we're even further away from that happening.

Someone COULD maybe make some other FPGA accelerator but I don't see anyone reproducing and improving 68k core in such a way like Apollo team has done. I dont think people understand how big, complex, fast and modern Apollo core is.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline Djole

• Show all replies
Re: Masjsta's A500 Vampire
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
Quote from: slimf;814435
Can you explain the benifits of having a "complex, modern, fast core" is? ( other than running 30 year old software fast? Is there an end game for it?

Is the end game complete replacement hardware that's backwards compatible or??

Well the main benefit on Amiga is speed of course, the faster the better if you ask me. It also opens doors for sw that was not possible on Amiga before. Apollo core could be used in other systems too, currently it lacks FPU (which is in the making) and MMU (not sure if this is planned). As i understand it, the current plan is to make v500, v1200 (with better specs) and then move to a standalone system.
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]