Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrated SAM460 owner  (Read 19233 times)

Description:

Offline AmigoSteveTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigoSteve
Frustrated SAM460 owner
« on: September 28, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
Hi everyone, wondering how the 460 owners are feeling out there. I have owned my 460 for well over 2 years and am beginning to get disillusioned by it.

The lack of warp3d is the biggest source of frustration. Especially as 440 owners are able to enjoy quake 2/3 et al as well as the newly released amazing voxel bird saga. Thellier does a great job with wazp3d but unfortunately I cant play voxel bird saga- through wazp3d, it has to be very small screen and after a few seconds play it crashes the computer.

I also have problems with the water effects in Hurrican, and colour issues with Aquaria, I get a blue screen once I get out of the house in Frogatto etc...

I have recently found that v1.0 of the radeon driver was released a few months ago but I have not been able to download it. I bought the driver licence but when i log in and try to download on the new site the download request is denied by the AMIstore server. Once downloaded we will still be waiting for Hyperion to pull their finger out.

I have spent thousands on the amiga over the past few years and if I want 3d I am sure I will have to spend much more on OS4.2.

I love the amiga but this is getting very painful, any help?

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
Re: Frustrated SAM460 owner
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Well, MorphOS Team is working on a port to SAM 460 if that is of any interest :)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
Quote from: AmigoSteve;774090
Hi everyone, wondering how the 460 owners are feeling out there. I have owned my 460 for well over 2 years and am beginning to get disillusioned by it.

The lack of warp3d is the biggest source of frustration. Especially as 440 owners are able to enjoy quake 2/3 et al as well as the newly released amazing voxel bird saga. Thellier does a great job with wazp3d but unfortunately I cant play voxel bird saga- through wazp3d, it has to be very small screen and after a few seconds play it crashes the computer.
i completely feel your pain. after several years of no 3D support whatsoever for the newer RadeonHD cards, it's getting absurd IMO. of course you can always use a 9250 or other older supported card in the PCI slot, but then you're forced to use the on-board SATA2 connection -- of which there is only one and DMA still isn't supported. technically the latter is up to acube since they wanted to develop the drivers rather have hyperion do it, but from a customer perspective, who cares?

it's nuts.

the good news is that A-EON can at least help you with your account issues so you can grab the latest 2D driver for which you paid. just send them an email. as for the rest of it, well, we're all in the same boat. :(

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:39:58 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
I can't be of help, but totally understand your pain.  Lack of full support and drivers was one of the main reasons (as well as cost) that I didn't replace my flaky A1XE with a 460 or X1000, instead I got a Mac Mini G4 then a G5 Power Mac and went the MorphOS route for a lot less money and with drivers for everything, even wifi.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
I am considering morphos, does it run on a g4 ibook?

I have tried putting a 9250 in the pci slot but cant get it to work. I suppose it is more complicated than just putting the card in. If anyone could help with how to install the card in a sam460 then please explain it to me as I have tried.

Oh and does anyone know how to get some of the games to work properly with the sam460, turrican, frogatto, hurrican etc... If so please help.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
sorry, meant to say Aquaria, frogatto, hurrican

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »
Quote from: AmigoSteve;774095
I am considering morphos, does it run on a g4 ibook?

Yep :)

http://www.morphos.de/hardware

Offline amigakit

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »
@AmigoSteve

Send me a quick pmail and I will check you details and get your account authorised for the new v1.0 driver.

As for Warp3D for RadeonHD, the good news is that it is running many 3D demos such as Gears etc, but there are still some bugs to fix.  Its a mammoth task given the poor documentation out there for RadeonHD cards, but we should have more news by Amiwest.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;774098
As for Warp3D for RadeonHD, the good news is that it is running many 3D demos such as Gears etc, but there are still some bugs to fix.  Its a mammoth task given the poor documentation out there for RadeonHD cards, but we should have more news by Amiwest.
that's terrific news, and i think the first official confirmation that the project has been picked back up again. splendid! :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
Thank you. I will pmail you.

When warp3d is finally here will it work with the 4000 series? A while back I heard these were not going to be supported. Would be strange if not because they came supplied with many sams.

Offline Nicsoft

• Show only replies by Nicsoft
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
There is one thing, I just can't understand!

A majority (vast?),  among my Amiga friends uses "R700" (HD4000 series) Radeon cards in their  Sam 460:s. But A-EON seems to neglect us, focusing on the high-end  range of cards only. Strange...

http://www.a-eon.com/?news=20-10-2012

Offline amigakit

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Driver download authorised on your AMISphere account.  You will be able to use AMIStore to download it in future as well as the secure download area from A-EON's website.

Warp3D work is for 5000 and 6000 at the moment.  4000 series cards are really difficult to obtain so the priority is getting it running on the later models- a very challenging experience so far.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
Thank you. I am sure when warp3d does come out I will buy another card to make use of it.

I imagine i will need to figure out where I have put my warp3d libs after renaming/replacing them for wazp3d. If not someone may have to help me out there.

Thanks again

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;774102
Warp3D work is for 5000 and 6000 at the moment.  4000 series cards are really difficult to obtain so the priority is getting it running on the later models- a very challenging experience so far.
Are they? There seems to be plenty of HD 4000 series cards on eBay.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline tommysammy

• Show only replies by tommysammy
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;774098
@AmigoSteve

Send me a quick pmail and I will check you details and get your account authorised for the new v1.0 driver.

That are great news. I thought, it was dead. I hope I can get it soon