Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VERY RARE - FA or Buy It Now - Ralph Babel's "The Amiga Guru Book"!!!  (Read 5597 times)

Description:

Offline DutchinUSA

• Show only replies by DutchinUSA
Re: VERY RARE - FA or Buy It Now - Ralph Babel's "The Amiga Guru Book"!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
Yes ! It should be DONATED to one of the Amiga programmers who can and will use it :banana:

Ah, I remember programming, sitting behind the monochrome screen typing up a bunch of code in Clipper and ending up with a major headache when it was time to go home, typing pages of code on my MSX-1 and saving it to tape .. those were the days :crazy:

Never again .. *hats off and bow* to programmers :)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;752188
You have to love those who blame the victim, "You were raped because you deserve it."

Yeah, that's vile indeed :(

Quote from: danbeaver;752188
Still Ralph's book is amazing and any Amiga programmer should BUY one.

Not me, because I see no need. And no, I'm not downloading it, either. Most of what you need to know to write AmigaOS software is in the autodocs. Of course, they're not ideal, and certainly can't beat 700+ pages worth of in-depth explanations, but they're sufficient.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
Quote from: itix;752179
Uh oh, so it is all Babel's fault?

No, it isn't nor did I write that, or imply that. Did you actually read what you replied to?

But while holding it back is not all his fault - that he felt burned by the piracy of the first book is clear, and the piracy certainly has part of the blame - he is a grown up and needs to take some of the responsibility for the choice he made himself. The piracy gave him a reason not to *want* to release the second version, it did not force him to hold it back.

To be clear: He does not owe us anything. But that doesn't mean I need to fawn over his choice or reasoning. Just as he is free to withhold the book, it is also my right to point out why I believe his expectations seems to have been out of whack with reality if he actually expected to make more than a token sum of money - piracy or not.

Nor do I need to avoid mentioning that in my opinion he made a silly and irrational choice in withholding a second version when people have been prepared to put in a lot of work to ensure he'd get paid properly for it, which frankly would put him in a far better position than most tech writers can hope for.

But do you actually write software for Amiga anymore? Is this just about nostalgia to you?

Now and again. But yes, even when I do get time, it is mostly about nostalgia to me. I would very much like more to come of it, e.g. with AROS, as there are many things I miss day to day from AmigaOS. But again you miss the point, which was to praise his books influence as great enough that there are at least some of us willing to pay for it - and over the odds - if here were to allow someone to release it, *even if* we don't actually *need* the content any more.

It is his own work and he can do whatever he wants with it. I would like to buy his book too. But there is no book to buy and I cant demand anyone to publish book because I would like to see that happen.

Which is why I expressed my wish for it rather than demand anything.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
That Commodore book by Brian Bagnell (A company on the edge?) has not been scanned so I see no reason why something even more niche as a 2nd revision of this book would be scanned and uploaded. And look what happened to that book, the Amiga revision of that book has been cancelled so you have to find a 1st release where the 16bit stuff wasn't removed to split the book into 8bit and the 'coming soon' Amiga years........which are now not going to be released.

However things like Computer & Video Games magazines missing supplements or one off yearbooks I paid through the nose for over the years if I scanned them you can bet your ass they would be on piratebay pretty quickly lol which is why I never released the scans of certain things.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Quote from: DutchinUSA;752191
Yes ! It should be DONATED to one of the Amiga programmers who can and will use it :banana:

Ah, I remember programming, sitting behind the monochrome screen typing up a bunch of code in Clipper and ending up with a major headache when it was time to go home, typing pages of code on my MSX-1 and saving it to tape .. those were the days :crazy:

Never again .. *hats off and bow* to programmers :)

Really?  For my first three years of programming, I typed hand written code into punch cards and then picked a ream of green and white striped paper to see if it worked. If the computer was powered down by accident (air conditioning went out), the OS was reloaded from a reel of paper tape; that's when that row of off/on toggle switches became important.

Still Ralph's book is well worth the money ♥

Offline sprocketTopic starter

• Show only replies by sprocket
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
fyi, after a 1 1/2 days of a 3 day listing,
this listing has 255 views and 12 watching.

The 255 views shows a better than average level of interest for most Amiga related items.

Some of those watching may be checking to see what it brings because they have one they might sell, but some are also likely interested in buying a 20 yr old book of actual paper!
Imagine that!

That should tell you something.

(No matter how many encourage piracy and copyright infringement and don't care about the platform, there will always be those who've put time in and made things worth having.  It's sad that the Amiga platform suffered not only from poor management & promotion, but more than its share in a niche community who thought it okay to not only crack & scan, but post and remove any potential for authors and developers to benefit from their efforts.  These people helped to drive the best from adding more value to the Amiga.)
Sincerely,

-- Sprocket...

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
@sprocket

I don't know you...I'm in a different camp when it comes to a second hand sale.

IF you bought this book at retail for $60, sell it for that and Ralph gets no money.

Sell it at your starting bid and double your money 60 back plus 60 = 120...
and Ralph still gets no money.

IF someone pays you buy now of $200...GREAT for you, Ralph still gets no money.

IF you really want to show us something. Promise at the least 50% to Ralph.

Just MHO,
M

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;752327

You're absolutely right. If I wanted this book, I'd contact Ralph and ask him what he wants for me using a scanned version. That way he'd get cash for his work.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »
@sprocket

IF you bought this book at retail for $60, sell it for that and Ralph gets no money.

Just MHO,
M

Does that work with the used cars salesman, too?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
@vidarh

I think I read it and understood. Maybe not in a way you tried to make your point but I think we both have got message through now.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
@itix
Used or new car salesmen get paid by commision. (usually)

Ebay sellers can sell what they want at any price thay want...
I did state I'm in a different camp. I have never sold on ebay or other such things.

I have bought stuff for prices that I consider okay. In fact I like finding amiga stuff I missed.

My point is that a lot of talk about Ralph not getting his due when in fact the seller is just trying to make the most money for himself he can.

Okay! But just don't try to make about some other ideal. (ie authors getting their due.)

If someone agreeds to pay what the seller wants...fine

Then that seller can dance up a storm over his profit...

but, it wasn't about Ralph. btw, I don't know Ralph, never saw his book to buy.

Point made!
M
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:44:44 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 03:19:52 AM »
If I'm not mistaken I believe Ralph sold all of the copies of this book that he had printed.  If he wanted to sell more he should have printed more and I am sure they would have sold just as the first printing did.  He is the one that put people in the position of wanting a scanned copy.  So yes, I believe Ralph created this monster and then didn't like what he had created and chose to blame the community.  It would be a whole different story if he was sitting on a stack of unsold books but that is not the reality.  How can you complain about illegal copies when there are no legal copies to be had?

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 03:29:11 AM »
Simples, it's his material. If it is available or not is irrelevant.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »
Quote from: dannyp1;752347
If I'm not mistaken I believe Ralph sold all of the copies of this book that he had printed.  If he wanted to sell more he should have printed more and I am sure they would have sold just as the first printing did.  He is the one that put people in the position of wanting a scanned copy.  So yes, I believe Ralph created this monster and then didn't like what he had created and chose to blame the community.  It would be a whole different story if he was sitting on a stack of unsold books but that is not the reality.  How can you complain about illegal copies when there are no legal copies to be had?

Ah, back to blaming the victim, sad really.

So copyright laws only exist when they are convenient to you morals; a copy for sale is right in front of you, so there is no reason to steal one!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 03:34:37 AM »
@sprocket

Just MHO,
M

The farmer who sells his crop for pennies of what it sells for in the market is not on commision; do you pay the grocer half-price and send the rest to the farmer?

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 10, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
@dan

No I buy my food at the farmers market. At whatever they charge if I can afford it.

You can make lots of samples of making money... and I don't begrudge profit to grow and invest, etc

I try to live a balanced life and not make any "killings" in the market (of any sort)

If I wanted to sell this book, I would ask no more than I paid, but most likey half as it would be used (read)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:30:17 AM by SACC-guy »