Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga NEWBIE needs help : )  (Read 3062 times)

Description:

Offline seer

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga NEWBIE needs help : )
« on: December 21, 2002, 09:38:28 PM »
Hello Madhattr ,

The ROMs sold with Amiga Forever are, AFAIK, encrypted. You need to tell UAE where the key is (Same dir as where the ROM files are)... I know WinUAE supports encrypted ROMs, I don't know if UAE for Linux can...

If you have acces to a PC, you could run WinUAE with the supplied ROMs, run transrom also supllied with Amiga Forever/WinUAE and save the ROM for use with the linux version... Don't know if this works, else you need to obtain anotherrom image.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline seer

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 09:51:53 PM »
Hmmm A green screen on a real Miggy indicates a chip ram failure, but since you're emulating.. Are you trying to run UAE with OS3.x ? What's your amount of chipram ?
~
~

Offline seer

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 09:56:57 PM »
Really? I always thought the key was just a list of offsets to help the emulator figure out which precise ROM dump it's using. Hmm... This might also be something to check on, indeed. Though, the latest Amiga Forever is supposed to run on Mac, too... I wouldn't think they'd do anything TOO proprietary!

Nah, the ROM with AF are protected.. Cloanto payd to distribute Amiga ROMs, so I guess they wanted to protect them.. Not really sure tho about this, AFAIK, the ROMs need to be a certain size, otherwise the checksum should fail ?

Anyway, UAE set the standard for Amiga ROM and disk images, so if a rom works on WinUAE, then it works on MacUAE or LinUAE as well..
~
~

Offline seer

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 10:01:41 PM »
@ Madhattr

Try this;

Chip Ram 2MB
Fast Ram 0Mb
Slow Ram 0Mb (Really, only needed to run very old and strange Amiga games/programs ?)
Z3 Fast 0Mb
RTG gfx 0Mb

CPU 68020

Rom Kick31 (If it's called like that)
Keyfile

No Hardrives

Floppy; Workbench3.X.ADF in Df0:

No sound
~
~

Offline seer

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 10:17:13 PM »
Well, in WinUAE you press F12 and select a floppy (.ADF) image and the emulator starts to load the disks.. Not sure if F12 works on the Linux version...

But there's a tab labeled "floppy" so I guess you could select a disk there... Locate an Image labeled workbench30.adf or workbench31.adf (or similar) and restart the emulator if done this way..
~
~

Offline seer

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 10:40:15 PM »
First, try to set up a Harddisk. I prefer to use a directory, but you could also use a file. (Read the manual on this part, and read the part that explain the differences about a file as a harddisk or a dir...)

If you have set up a harddisk, boot with the install30/3.1 disk and use the installer to install Os3.x. Just play around a little, it's pretty easy, if you know how to setup Linux, you should be able to figure out how the setup AmigaOS....

There are plenty of sites that offer demos of games and apps (Amiga.org or Aminet) or the game publisher themselfes..

Good luck, and welcome to the wonders that is Amiga(.org)...

Hope we were of some help, I'm outa here for now. (again ;)
~
~